Mom killed her 2 NT kids - believed they were autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 12:59 am

Mother gets 30 to 80 years in sons' bath drownings

Quote:
A Pennsylvania woman who drowned her two youngest sons in their bath because she felt that would enable her to be a better mother to their older brother was sentenced to 30 to 80 years in prison.

Allegheny County Judge Jeffrey Manning called the sentence imposed on Wednesday on 44-year-old Laurel Schlemmer a de-facto life term given her age.

The judge found Schlemmer guilty but mentally ill of two counts of third-degree murder in March, so she'll begin her sentence in a state mental hospital and be moved to prison if doctors ever deem her cured.

Doctors told the judge before trial that she often wouldn't take her medications and her symptoms were aggravated. But prior to sentencing, the judge said she was on medication.

Schlemmer professed deep remorse and told the judge she thought she'd be ideally suited to volunteer as a prison chaplain, and looked forward to contributing to society upon her release.

That didn't sit well with prosecutors, who noted Schlemmer didn't mention her dead sons by name.

Psychiatrists for the prosecution and defense testified in March that Schlemmer was obsessed with the idea that her two youngest sons were autistic and would never grow up normally, even though a battery of tests she put them through showed otherwise.

She told psychiatrists she tried to kill Luke and Daniel in April 2013 by tying their hands and feet with twine and backing over them with her car three times, but then claimed it was an accident. Police and social workers also determined it was an accident. Schlemmer told her husband days before the drownings that she wanted to confess to that crime, but he talked her out of it, prosecutors said

Bolding mine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:03 am

She says "crazy voices" told her to do it.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:16 am

infanticide is more of a female thing, whatever the voices might tell is merely feedbackloop wiring gone wrong,
i don't know if prison is the solution, i don't emprison the sheep that killed her ofspring, but i probably won't keep her but that even depends on the situation
twins can be confusing, plus high levels of hormones, get some wrong fixation, and everything can happen

social support might have failed that mother too

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 11:58 am

I wanna know if the last two posters read the same article, that I read (the article in the OP)----I actually went-back and read it again, after reading those two posts, cuz I didn't remember it saying what those 2 posters, said. Where does it say she heard crazy voices----and, where does it say, the boys were twins (the article clearly states the boys were 3 and 6-years-old)?

In response to the OP article: What *I* wanna know, is..... For WHAT was she taking medication? I don't understand why the author didn't seem to think that was an important detail, to print.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 12:37 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I wanna know if the last two posters read the same article, that I read (the article in the OP)----I actually went-back and read it again, after reading those two posts, cuz I didn't remember it saying what those 2 posters, said. Where does it say she heard crazy voices----and, where does it say, the boys were twins (the article clearly states the boys were 3 and 6-years-old)?

In response to the OP article: What *I* wanna know, is..... For WHAT was she taking medication? I don't understand why the author didn't seem to think that was an important detail, to print.

You're right.

I was motivated to know why she did it.

Here is a video of her confession ....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

I hope the mother gets 80 years in solitary confinement. She deserves it. Anyone who murders any of their children for any reason should get 80 years in solitary confinement.