Trump is Trying to Shut Down the Internet

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

'
I saw this coming. Conservatives hate the internet because it exposes people to differing opinions. :wink:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm

My approval rating for this guy just dropped to 20% from 39%.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Conservatives hate the internet because it exposes people to differing opinions.

the video just casts light that many don’t think about consequences exceeding much further than their brow.

four minutes, and not once did the guy mention the devastation it would cause to the economy to shut off the internet. it’s taken decades of adapting and implementing new technologies for businesses to have become so expansive(lots of jobs) in recent years, and if to remove the internet, it’d be like a sailboat at sea without wind. one day of an international business’ systems being down can do serious damage to their reputation with clients, and cost them more than they can afford to lose(it’s why i.t. positions get paid as much as they do to keep things running smoothly.)... large businesses would require many years to technologically regress to successfully run internet-less without extensive losses and layoffs.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 7:40 pm

President Trump wrote:
Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!

Twitter Link

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm

Yes lets shut down the whole internet because Trump is butthurt.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:09 pm

The concept is not brand new news & it is not the entire internet.

"By Stephanie Condon CBS News December 15, 2015, 11:44 PM"
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/in-republican-debate-donald-trump-ties-to-clarify-closing-the-internet/

Quote:
""Trump says we ought to close that Internet thing," Paul said. "The question really is, what does he mean by that? Like they do in North Korea? Like they do in China?"

Trump had first suggested he would talk to people like Microsoft founder Bill Gates about "closing" the Internet "in certain areas" in a speech in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina last week, during which he also proposed banning all Muslims from entering the U.S.

At the CNN debate in Las Vegas, Nevada on Tuesday, Trump said, "As far as the Internet is concerned... I'm talking about parts of Syria, parts of Iraq, where ISIS is.
He suggested "getting our best to infiltrate their Internet, so we know exactly where they're going, where they're going to be."

Hearing boos from the audience, Trump retorted, "I just can't imagine somebody booing. You're objecting to us infiltrating their conversations? I don't think so."

At another point in the debate, Trump also said, "I want to get our brilliant people... and figure out a way that ISIS cannot do what they're doing. I don't want them using our Internet, to take our young impressionable youth."

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky was quick to criticize Trump for the suggestion. "In defending America, we cannot lose what America stands for," Paul said, suggesting that "closing" parts of the Internet would restrict Americans' freedom of speech and civil liberties."
"

DavidGoldman CNN December 8, 2015: 9:00 AM ET
http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/08/technol ... index.html
Quote:
Donald Trump has called for a shutdown of the Internet in certain areas to stop the spread of terror.

In a speech at the U.S.S. Yorktown in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, on Monday, Trump referenced the use by ISIS of social media as a recruitment tool. He recommended a discussion with Bill Gates to shut off parts of the Internet.

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet," Trump said. "We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people."

by Sam Frizell Dec 15, 2015
http://time.com/4150891/republican-debate-donald-trump-internet/
Quote:
Donald Trump reiterated in the fifth Republican debate on Tuesday night that he would be open to "closing parts of the Internet" to prevent ISIS from attracting recruits, but it wasn't clear exactly what he meant.

"ISIS is recruiting through the Internet. ISIS is using the Internet better than we are using the Internet and it was our idea," Trump said. "I want to get the brilliant people from Silicon Valley and other places and figure out a way that ISIS can't do what they're doing."

CNN moderator Wolf Blitzer tried to get Trump to clarify: "Are you open to closing parts of the Internet?" Blitzer asked.

"I would certainly be open to closing areas where we are at war with somebody," Trump said. "I sure as hell don't want to let people that want to kill us and kill our nation use our Internet. Yes sir, I am."

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:11 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I saw this coming. Conservatives hate the internet because it exposes people to differing opinions. :wink:

Like when Trump got Amazon to delete one star reviews of his book.

Edit - no, wait, that was Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by Chichikov on 15 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

Let's see how the London thing is being reported by someone on the other side of the planet.
Oh, I suppose India is about as close to the other side of the planet as can be from here.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/london-attack-trump-says-cut-off-internet-to-terrorists-claims-he-has-done-better-than-obama-in-fighting-isis/story-25Y42Wl4Kx1nhaorjnpdOL.html

Quote:
US President Donald Trump said on Friday authorities should ensure terrorist organisations were devoid of internet access as he said “sick and demented people” had carried out a blast on a packed rush-hour commuter train in London.

Passengers on board the train fled as fire engulfed a carriage at Parsons Green underground station in West London, with some suffering burns and other injuries in a stampede to escape.

Shortly after police declared the incident as an act of terrorism, Trump tweeted: “Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!”

“Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!” he added.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 10:09 pm

Note the date on this report of the same issue:
http://fortune.com/2015/12/08/donald-tr ... -internet/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 11:30 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

This cottage industry channel is just pure sensationalism. I don't understand your attraction to it and why you post so much of it here.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:28 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Conservatives hate the internet because it exposes people to differing opinions. :wink:

Like when that right-wing company Google fired an employee for questioning their Conservative diversity policies.

Edit - no, wait, Google are left-wing and their policies are left-wing too,

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

SH90 wrote:

Yeah, this is pretty much the image I see in my mind every time one of these anti-Trump (and anti-statue) posts is started and contributed to by certain members.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

Chichikov wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Conservatives hate the internet because it exposes people to differing opinions. :wink:

Like when that right-wing company Google fired an employee for questioning their Conservative diversity policies.

What does that have to do with Trump wanting to restrict free speech. Also Google is a private company, which means it can fire employs that they feel are bad for the company, that is also free speech.

Here is an idea quit being so toxic, might make you feel better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

Shutting down parts of the internet seems like kind of a slippery slope.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 5:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

What does that have to do with Trump wanting to restrict free speech. Also Google is a private company, which means it can fire employs that they feel are bad for the company, that is also free speech.

I find it shocking when the public figure or lay-person, a good part of the population (America need not be the only country to apply) on earth, are so low and lack decency especially when important issues are at stake. It's extremely unpleasant when anything right-of-center on the political spectrum is attacked as inherently trying to be racist or bigoted. The idea that "even the left" is getting tired of some of the BS is losing credibility in my brain because of all the destruction combined with hate. I'd even incline to support a movement or group that was reactionary coming from the opposite direction.

The left will never know what it feels like when it's on the other shoe. Why should I vote for any left-of-center candidate at all, both sides have questionable people or did something questionable in the past, but why should I even consider given the particularly recent destruction and noise coming from that direction today.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

You might call it being toxic, others might call it pointing out people's BS.

I wonder if anyone else sees the irony in you trying to shame me into silence....