Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 10:00 am

Psalm 23 is probably the most famous of Psalms. I need to memorise it. But i like Psalm 25, 37 & 91 aswell.

Kind Regards, Nay.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

Nay wrote:
Ye i like that one but it also says that Jesus was writing in the sand when that happened. Any good guesses to what He was writing?

Off the top of my head - - what he told the lynch mob, I suppose.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2017, 11:02 am

I'm not sure but i guess ill know when i die so thats exciting.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 8:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Nay wrote:
Ye i like that one but it also says that Jesus was writing in the sand when that happened. Any good guesses to what He was writing?

I think he was writing the names of the other guys who'd slept with her, many of whom were present with the mob. :lol:

Hebrew law said they had to die, too. So..."he who is without sin"?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:45 pm

Nay wrote:
Im looking for other Christians??

Hi, whats your favourite story in the bible? And please explain why if you want to.

Hi!! I am of the Christian faith.

I find it very difficult to name an absolute favorite STORY----but, my favorite BOOK in the OT, is "Daniel", cuz he was so young, and believed / followed, so strongly.

My favorite book in the NT, is "Matthew"----why I love it, should be obvious (cuz it's all about Jesus, his teachings, "adventures", miracles, and so-forth).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Nay wrote:

I think he was writing the names of the other guys who'd slept with her, many of whom were present with the mob. :lol:

Hebrew law said they had to die, too. So..."he who is without sin"?

Hm. Might be.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2017, 3:34 pm

Could be!

Ye Daniel is good especially the last 3 chapters.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

I'm kinda torn, I have several -

Like when the demons were in the dude, and Jesus was about to cast them out, and they said "Wait! Don't just throw us out into nowhere - cast us into those pigs over there!" So he did. And the demons (as pigs) all ran off a cliff into the river and drowned themselves. 'Cause why did they ask to be moved into pig bodies, if they were just gonna commit suicide anyway?

Then there was that time Jesus had a little low blood sugar and he was hungry, and he came to this fig tree with no figs on it and he was so PO'd over the no figs, that he cursed the tree and it died. Then he made up this parable about his followers bearing fruit, to make it look like he'd done it on purpose, to make a point. But the tree was still dead.

Then he taught his disciples if they had faith as a grain of mustard seed, they could do stuff like casting out demons and sent them around the countryside and they were doing it, until they ran into this one particularly nasty demon they couldn't cast out. So they called Jesus, and he came in and exorcised it forthwith. And they said "Hey, Lord, how come that was so easy for you, when we couldn't do it?" And Jesus said "Oh, that kind of demon takes days of fasting and praying to cast out." And then he went and took a nap.

And I guess this is my favorite - it's not really a story, per se, it's more like a brain teaser. So okay, everybody knows God is omniscient - meaning, he knows everything that has ever happened, everything that is happening, and everything that ever will happen - and that makes perfect sense if he created the universe in the Big Bang, because Einstein proved that time is a property of the physical universe, just like the 3 dimensions of space, thus "spacetime," right?

So God exists outside of time, and can see everything past, present and future all at once. Got it.

That being the case, how can it be true that evil only entered the [perfect] world when Adam and Eve (or humanity in general) chose to disobey God and sin?

If God sees all, past, present and future, then he knew when he told them "Don't eat of that tree," that they already had. They never had any choice, they were doomed to do exactly what they did, because that's how he made them. Even Schrodinger's Cat doesn't explain this away, because no matter whether the box is open or closed, God knows whether the cat is alive or dead, and which state it will be in when the box is opened, because he's already seen it.

If man has Free Will, then God is not omniscient. It can't be both ways. If God is not omniscient, then he is not infallible and perfect in all ways. If God is omniscient, then every decision you ever make is already madebefore you make it, thus you have no real choice. It's an illusion. Every scene of your life is already written, just waiting for you to pick up the script and read your lines.

I keep trying to figure out a logical answer to this conundrum that leaves room for Free Will, but I'm stumped. :?

Who needs bible story coloring books? The whole thing's a big book of puzzles.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:12 pm

will@rd wrote:
I'm kinda torn, I have several -

Like when the demons were in the dude, and Jesus was about to cast them out, and they said "Wait! Don't just throw us out into nowhere - cast us into those pigs over there!" So he did. And the demons (as pigs) all ran off a cliff into the river and drowned themselves. 'Cause why did they ask to be moved into pig bodies, if they were just gonna commit suicide anyway?

Then there was that time Jesus had a little low blood sugar and he was hungry, and he came to this fig tree with no figs on it and he was so PO'd over the no figs, that he cursed the tree and it died. Then he made up this parable about his followers bearing fruit, to make it look like he'd done it on purpose, to make a point. But the tree was still dead.

Then he taught his disciples if they had faith as a grain of mustard seed, they could do stuff like casting out demons and sent them around the countryside and they were doing it, until they ran into this one particularly nasty demon they couldn't cast out. So they called Jesus, and he came in and exorcised it forthwith. And they said "Hey, Lord, how come that was so easy for you, when we couldn't do it?" And Jesus said "Oh, that kind of demon takes days of fasting and praying to cast out." And then he went and took a nap.

And I guess this is my favorite - it's not really a story, per se, it's more like a brain teaser. So okay, everybody knows God is omniscient - meaning, he knows everything that has ever happened, everything that is happening, and everything that ever will happen - and that makes perfect sense if he created the universe in the Big Bang, because Einstein proved that time is a property of the physical universe, just like the 3 dimensions of space, thus "spacetime," right?

So God exists outside of time, and can see everything past, present and future all at once. Got it.

That being the case, how can it be true that evil only entered the [perfect] world when Adam and Eve (or humanity in general) chose to disobey God and sin?

If God sees all, past, present and future, then he knew when he told them "Don't eat of that tree," that they already had. They never had any choice, they were doomed to do exactly what they did, because that's how he made them. Even Schrodinger's Cat doesn't explain this away, because no matter whether the box is open or closed, God knows whether the cat is alive or dead, and which state it will be in when the box is opened, because he's already seen it.

If man has Free Will, then God is not omniscient. It can't be both ways. If God is not omniscient, then he is not infallible and perfect in all ways. If God is omniscient, then every decision you ever make is already madebefore you make it, thus you have no real choice. It's an illusion. Every scene of your life is already written, just waiting for you to pick up the script and read your lines.

I keep trying to figure out a logical answer to this conundrum that leaves room for Free Will, but I'm stumped. :?

Who needs bible story coloring books? The whole thing's a big book of puzzles.

Hey, Campin... THIS is why I don't post here much anymore. I will if I'm bored, but usually when I do it's like, this is what I believe, etc. I don't feel the need to answer for that if it doesn't make any difference anyway. I don't have the time for that like I used to.

But just a quick commentary: everything here is based on a number of negative assumptions about God and His relationship with mankind. Note the utter lack of respect for the traditions and scriptures of a group of people. There's no intention of having a serious, rational discussion, no interest at all in even considering Christianity might be based on something real.

What amuses me about the whole thing is how irrational anti-theist claims are. You can't make those claims without question-begging, not to mention all the strawman and personal attacks just like the post here. They all just got too predictable and boring. You can copy/paste responses to all the copy/paste criticisms all day long and it won't matter. Plus, this isn't meant to be an argumentative thread. Best just to ignore them rather than derail a halfway decent topic.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

You have to remember that God is love so, everything God is doing is for love, past, present and future. Yes God knew what Adam & Eve were going to do, i believe.

Much Love, Nay :heart: .

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2017, 11:05 am

You could call it the perfect love story, its like a play in a theatre.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

I'm a Christian as well :D . Just had my first communion today!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:15 pm

Nay wrote:
You have to remember that God is love so, everything God is doing is for love, past, present and future. Yes God knew what Adam & Eve were going to do, i believe.

Much Love, Nay :heart: .

It’s assumed that God’s foreknowledge is an indication of God’s intention and thus contraindicates free will. Obviously no, we aren’t nor were we ever “free” in any total sense, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have some freedom to choose. God did not create Adam and Eve with the capacity to sin. But God DID grant them the capacity to choose how long they wished to exist in their sinless state. Their sin wasn’t eating some apple. It was the absurd but sincere belief that they could improve on perfection. Only through knowledge of good and evil can they choose to sin and then be held responsible for it. Doesn’t even matter if your sin is accidental or you were unaware it was a sin—you still must be held to account for it. Adam’s sin became complete when rather than confessing and accepting blame, he passed the responsibility to Eve. Eve was God’s creation from a part of Adam, thus Adam is ultimately blaming God for his choices. Eve refused the blame by deferring it to the serpent. Well, the serpent is also God’s creature, hence once again God is being blamed for what God did not do.

The problem of free will vs. God’s omniscience is not really a problem. The anti-theist must ASSUME that it is. It is logically possible that God can create man with free will and STILL know what man will FREELY CHOOSE to do, all the while allowing man to make those choices. So man is somewhat free in once sense, that he can freely choose, and not totally free in another sense in that God already knows what he will choose and not step in. If God intervenes, man is not free. If God stays out of it, man is reading from a script. So whether you freely choose to believe in free will or not, your belief in one over the other is a product of preference bias, circular reasoning, and thus absurd. It appears to make more sense that if God creates a being whose purpose is to authentically love and worship God, that being would not be an automaton. The anti-theist must provide a non-question-begging argument to the contrary if we are to take such an argument seriously, if it can be made at all.

Another flaw in the anti-theist argument is the non-sequitur that God is evil for creating man to sin. The false assumption at play here is that God must have created man for the purpose of sinning since God is omniscient and already knows man will sin. THEREFORE, lol, God is playing mean tricks on us and is evil. I’ve already addressed the issue of free will. But since we already know man is held accountable for the sins he commits, God must also hold Himself to account for His creation. Man, being a fallen creature, cannot redeem himself. Therefore, only God Himself who doesn’t sin and remains perfect can redeem us. The ancients looked ahead to that time and placed their faith in God’s promise; we look back to the promise already fulfilled. Humanity’s continuing history of blaming God for everything culminated in God’s physical death and resurrection. So to all the God-blamers our there, I say this: It’s already taken care of. Whether God is good or evil, it’s really irrelevant, isn’t it? But, again, it seems to make more sense to worship a good God over an evil god. The “evil god” doesn’t really follow from that particular argument.

Ok, done now. That one was on the house. ;-)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:29 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Cool beans! :thumleft: Which denomination do you belong to?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thank you! I am an LCMS Lutheran. Not the most popular group, but oh well :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thank you! I am an LCMS Lutheran. Not the most popular group, but oh well :D .

Holy sh*t, so am I!! !
I like to think it's that gang of Midwestern righties who run things in St. Louis who have given our church body a bad rep.
I myself have had disagreements with some people in my home congregation regarding evolution and gay rights.