Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

asdmayb26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2017, 5:22 pm

My name is Ian and I'm 26 years old. All my life I've been bullied and had behavior problems. When I was 12 years old, a psychiatrist said I should look into a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome (this was 2004 when Asperger's was still on the manual) and told me to watch the movie Napoleon Dynamite. My parents laughed it off like the doctor was crazy. Nevertheless, my problems continued. In high school, I really only hung out with two kids that were two years older than me. We became friends when I was in junior high school, hanging out at an arcade playing Dance Dance Revolution. These kids teased me a lot, making fun of me by tilting their head to the side with a spaced out expression and saying "I don't know yo" in a Jamie Kennedy in Malibu's Most Wanted type of voice. Anyone I've ever hung out with has teased more than think is normal.

On top of all of the bullying, I've always been very awkward. A girl in high school once wanted to talk to me and I got long winded, stopped making sense, and for some reasons said I had bad hygiene even though I didn't. I still am awkward today.

My problem is, no one believes I have ASD. My current therapist and psychiatrist don't buy it. I got an evaluation that I'm waiting to hear the results from. If it comes up negative, I'll get a second opinion.

Is anyone in a similar situation?

Destabilised
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

I can't say I've experience that, myself, but I would definitely agree that you should get a second opinion if you believe you have it. Do some research, look for things that you can relate to, behaviours that you also perform, ways of thinking, etc. It's hard for a psych team to diagnose you without seeing you in a 'normal' environment, too. Perhaps request that they watch you actually interact with others, maybe watch you from across a coffee shop or something. I don't know. make sure you get that diagnosis that you need.

On a happier note, welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 7:33 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

CageNietzsche
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2017, 12:10 pm

I have generalized anxiety disorder. I only bring it up because it presents oddly. I become impulsive, agitated, aggressive, and often I can't think. For the longest time I thought I was AS, when it turns out yes I am spectrum, but what was throwing it off was the anxiety. I'm 26, bullied my whole life, constantly got in trouble for "over reacting" etc. If you have any other questions you can ask. I have trouble explaining things succinctly.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm

Hello - I think you should definatly look into a second opinion if they say no and you feel you're on the spectrum. Several years ago I went for CBT, I found the councillor very inflexible, when I suggested I might be Aspie she laughed and said I wasn't. I have now been diagnosed as Aspie. Good luck.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2017, 5:51 am

Oh yes, I especially relate on the awkward part and being teased in school. I hope the evaluation confirms your suspicions!