Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinsWither
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2017, 2:50 pm

I am a junior in high school in the IB program. Man does it suck.... I am pretty good in biology/art, as well as having interest in learning. But grades seem to suppress that learning crave, like grades seem like its just a game, not mean't to actually further a person. But at the same time really good grades are needed for scholarships.

I suck at foreign languages, and my interest happens to be arthropods and fish (and some reptiles); I have a lot of interests. I barely talk to anyone. I just need to rant out a bit.

How do I survive the last two years? I already broke down everyday of this week. :(

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:06 am

Hang on, you can do it! High school was tough for me too, but I made it through. Keep coming to class and doing the work, even if you’re feeling down. Do all your homework even if you’re having a bad day. Advocate to your teacher’s about your Asperger’s if something comes up, like you can’t pay attention in class. Graduating high school is the best feeling in the world, and you’ll make it there...I did!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 12:23 am

I hated it too but if I could relive those years I would so I could get better grades this time.

Yes grades are a game. They're like points in a video game. But you need those points. They determine the course of your future. High school isn't for learning, it's for measuring your work ethic.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2017, 11:51 pm

School system needs to change for the better

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

Hs for me when I was obsessed with routines. Try cognitive talks, if something doesn't go as planned, tell your self at least ____happened still.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:38 pm

School is designed to suck. Get used to it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 10:01 am

If you are going to do it you might as well do it really well. Put in the work, reward yourself every day for doing the work and for getting through the day, any little rewards you can think of whether they be time spent on your special intersts, more down time or what ever. Persevere. What might appear menial now might open doors to exactly what you want later.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:08 am

Reward yourself? Hah! Maybe if you can. Do as well as you can at school, but be fully aware you’re doing it for your own purely selfish interest in making the best possible future for yourself. Study should be its own reward for you. Consequently, expect people to hate you, bully you and try to undermine you in every way. Expect them to consider you mentally defective for your passion (they’ll call it an obsession, of course), particularly teachers, your parents and other authority figures. As soon as they see you spontaneously applying yourself, without being commanded to, they’ll resent it and start recklessly pressuring you and guilt-tripping you to study less, no matter what disastrous consequences yielding to their pressure would have to you and your academic and professional future. They’ll want you to be irresponsible and need their guidance, so doing anything well on your own will offend them. Carry on and become financially independent as soon as you can, to minimize their chances of further screwing over your life.

Good luck.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:22 am

I never had that experience. Quite the opposite. The more you take charge of your own studies and your own domain the more people just leave you alone.

Last edited by elsapelsa on 11 Mar 2018, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:33 am

Oh, and if you are having problems in certain areas like language perhaps it is the way it is being taught. Look for alternative ways to pick up language which might serve you better. Online, watching lots of movies, shows, books etc. Maybe there is a language exchange cafe near you. When I was at high school I also did adult classes in the evening, it offered a diffent perspective and just gave me something extra.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

My experience is they will never leave you alone, except maybe if you just walk away and try your chances to start your independent adult life while homeless. But yeah, it’s better if they feel the need to meddle because you’re doing too well than because you’re doing too badly.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 12:09 pm

I lived by myself from 15, had no parents come to parent evenings, and just kept my head down and got on with stuff. You are right though, when I see kids at the school where my husband teaches it if fairly invasive and intensive on the meddling front. Guess I was lucky!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 5:15 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
I lived by myself from 15, had no parents come to parent evenings

Lucky! I didn't have my own place when I was 15. The closest I had back then was an emotionally distant single mother who ignored me while doting over her cats and getting stoned on antidepressants.

I would have killed for my own place, mostly so I wouldn't have to look at her or her cats (my cats were way better than her cats).

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
I lived by myself from 15, had no parents come to parent evenings

Lucky! I didn't have my own place when I was 15. The closest I had back then was an emotionally distant single mother who ignored me while doting over her cats and getting stoned on antidepressants.

I would have killed for my own place, mostly so I wouldn't have to look at her or her cats (my cats were way better than her cats).

Yes, my life took a really good turn once I could live by myself. I thank my lucky stars I got so much independence so early.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Mar 2018, 4:23 am

High-skewl actually got better for me each year. I just took the easiest electives I could & they happened to be more practical for the real-world. I struggled in skewl aLOT cuz of dyslexia, dyscalculia, & dysgraphia. I had NO desire at all to go to college & I never regretted that decision. I probably would of ended up failing & dropping out anyways. I wanted to drop out of high-skewl but my parents wouldn't allow it.
I do think college & good education is important but I don't think it's the rite decision for everyone. If you don't see how you can handle college or finish high-skewl the way things are going, I would suggest not trying at home as much. Use the time at home to relax. Do just enough at home so the teachers will think your trying; I only passed some classes because the teachers curved my grades. It doesn't really matter at all what your grades were in high-skewl if you don't further your education. If you do plan to go to college or continue your education, I would suggest focusing more on the classes that you think you'll need for further skewling & for getting a job after. Do just enough so you look like your trying in the other classes so you don't have as much stress.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

You aren't wrong. So much of school just isn't real, and kids at high school age realize that. Why exactly do I need a Chemistry class when I'm going to major in English? Why do I have to struggle through math classes I don't understand that I can't apply in real life? Why are there no classes on how to file taxes or even classes on face-to-face communication (something that is more and more of a struggle in high school as everyone's glued to their phones)?

I'm just trying to push through it. I put in my lowest level of effort when it comes to the subjects I don't care about with teachers I really don't like, which luckily for me has translated to about a B average. I put effort into Algebra because I like my teacher and she already has so many problem students in the class I'm in.