Student Assaulted For Sitting During Pledge Of Allegiance

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm

http://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2017/09/15/farmington-hills-teacher-pledge-east-middle-school/669699001/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:33 pm

Sounds like those teachers have no respect for freedom of speech.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm

The irony was the kid was doing his homework. He's a top student according to the father who doesn't want to take him out of the school (even after being assaulted by two different teachers)

What motivated these teachers to interfere with the child's right to do his work and his right to respect and dignity? the fact the student is African American (and was emulating the brave actions of African American footballer Colin Kaepernick over police violence) and the fact the two teachers were white might have something to do with their actions.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

Well, the kid certainly is entitled to his opinion, and it should have been respected, even though I think it would have been better for him to simpy go through the motions of standing for the pledge. --Hopefully there will be legal ramifications for the people who assaulted him, up to the school district itself, if need be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:30 pm

Fogman wrote:
I think it would have been better for him to simpy go through the motions of standing for the pledge.

The school has the right to ask students to stand for the pledge (we used to do the same for the Queen about 30 yrs ago) but they don't have the right to physically assault a student for a (perceived) conduct breach. It would be like having a dress code and ripping of his clothes or code for haircuts and snipping off his dreadlocks without permission.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 5:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fogman wrote:
I think it would have been better for him to simpy go through the motions of standing for the pledge.

The school has the right to ask students to stand for the pledge (we used to do the same for the Queen about 30 yrs ago) but they don't have the right to physically assault a student for a (perceived) conduct breach. It would be like having a dress code and ripping of his clothes or code for haircuts and snipping off his dreadlocks without permission.

You are quite correct about this. I thought that I made myself clear, I hope he seeks legal action on this, up to the level of the school district if need be.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 6:01 am

Quote:
Stoney had just started his second week at the school, and now, his family isn’t sure if he’ll go back.

“For him to be violently snatched out of his chair by a lady and order to stand and for her to just glare at him, it’s wrong, it’s a violation of civil rights,” said Stoney’s father Brian Chaney.

The 11-year-old has been sitting for the anthem since the second grade when his father explained why he had the choice.

The family is exploring its options. Stone hasn’t gone back to school, but they’re probably going to leave the district.

http://allblackmedia.com/2017/09/michigan-teacher-accused-of-assaulting-6th-grader-who-sat-during-pledge-of-allegiance/