Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

Good. When is America going to ban non-electric cars?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:19 pm

For one, I can't get the range or power I need with electric cars.

Two, freedom and s**t...

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

SH90 wrote:
For one, I can't get the range or power I need with electric cars.

Two, freedom and s**t...

Freedom has limits. Conservatives should know this.

First of all, the American south is being battered by tropical cyclones.

Second, the conservatives have been trying to restrict the freedoms of women and minorities since ... well ... forever.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
When is America going to ban non-electric cars?
When are you going to personally design and build the infrastructure to support that, especially out here in wide open and far apart farm country where we grow the food you eat, and when are you going to buy me an electric car since disability keeps me below the poverty level?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

Oh, and China has issues,
(What? You claim China has issues? Yer lyin through yer teeth!)

Quote:
The generosity of these subsidies produces some curious market distortions. For one thing, China is desperately short of charging stations to power up all the electric cars it has sold. As a result, private buyers tend to purchase plug-in hybrids to take advantage of the incentives, and then run them using only their conventional petrol engines. It makes economic sense for the buyers, but it’s deeply inefficient in energetic and environmental terms, exacerbating rather than alleviating roadside pollution.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/2108353/beijings-grand-plan-electric-cars-looks-good-under-bonnet
Quote:
In an attempt to tackle these distortions, Beijing has announced plans to reduce the central government subsidies for electric cars and to cap those offered by local governments. This year, the maximum central government subsidy for a pure electric car will be reduced from 55,000 to 44,000 yuan. And local government subsidies will be capped at half that.
This, of course, will make electric cars a lot less attractive as far as buyers are concerned. So, to encourage the continued development of the industry, from next year Beijing is proposing to impose strict quotas for electric vehicle production on the country’s car manufacturers.

Quote:
It sounds like a clever plan. But it is unlikely to ensure China’s technological dominance of the global electric car market, as Beijing desires. Instead it will simply perpetuate the extreme fragmentation of China’s electric vehicle sector. Legions of small, locally backed manufacturers will continue to knock out their low-tech electric clunkers to win credits that they can then sell to bigger producers such as the foreign joint ventures. And the big producers will continue to build and sell the highly profitable conventionally engined, gas-guzzling SUVs that Chinese buyers actually want.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Freedom has limits. Conservatives should know this.

First of all, the American south is being battered by tropical cyclones.

I don't see your point here, only a damn good reason why I don't want a electric car when the power grid goes down. Also why I enjoy the ground clearance my 4x4 offers... I can still get around after the storm, as I been.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Second, the conservatives have been trying to restrict the freedoms of women and minorities since ... well ... forever.

What does this nonsense have to do with electric cars? BTW, I'm not a conservative :wink:

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
When are you going to personally design and build the infrastructure to support that, especially out here in wide open and far apart farm country where we grow the food you eat, and when are you going to buy me an electric car since disability keeps me below the poverty level?

This... For a good portion of American's an electric car is not a viable option. For some, who can afford it and want to take advantage of tax incentives (only real reason to get one) makes it a good option. In reality, most commuters can't afford a late model car or the installation of a charger at home (assuming they own a home, if they rent it's most likely not happening).

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

Something I've looked for now and again for several years is an answer to what effect on electric car range would it have to run an air conditioner out here on 95F to 105 or more F, July, August, and September, midwest farmland summer days?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Something I've looked for now and again for several years is an answer to what effect on electric car range would it have to run an air conditioner out here on 95F to 105 or more F, July, August, and September, midwest farmland summer days?

I've driven a Telsa Model S for more miles then I care to admit, but AC didn't affect range very much. Maybe 5-10 miles and I am from Florida, so I always turned it on when I got in... But kicking the heater on during a cold front, was really noticeable; easily a 40-50 mile lost in range.

The biggest issue is deprecation on a electric cars, it's terrible.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm

I see envy here.
"I can't afford a car so I don't want anyone else to have one".

Then there's the liberal compulsion to ban everything.
Yes, those freedom loving liberals...
:roll: :roll:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:59 am

that's dumb.

first off i don't see anything that makes their claim or "plan" anything more than a pledge...and pledges really don't mean anything, do they even have a date/deadline set in mind? i can definitely see them pushing whatever deadline they'll hopefully have further and further back as they approach it.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Good. When is America going to ban non-electric cars?

hopefully never, while at the moment electric cars themselves are good enough, there just isn't the infrastructure to support them and enable long distance trips in the same way ICE cars are supported... with the possible exception of teslas which have the superchargers conveniently placed across the country. THOSE can just now go coast to coast.

for anything besides a tesla, you might as well draw a circle around your house with a radius equivalent to half the EV's range, because that's as far as you're going to go if you don't want to spend comparatively huge amounts of time waiting for it to charge or deal with range anxiety.

i think we'll still be making petrol cars in 100 years. MAYBE diesels. maybe.

at the moment, electric cars are kind of in the same position as computers were in the early 90s, things aren't standardized enough yet. plus, what if you have an EV and don't have a home with a garage, or even a driveway? what are you gonna do, have the charging cord stretch out across the lawn, over the sidewalk to the car? so some teenaged hoodlum douchebag thug can yank it out, snip it, vandalize it? that specific risk i don't want to take...

i don't understand why EVs are so suddenly and so quickly gaining in popularity....even less why countries like china are pledging to "ban" nonelectrics when they hardly even have the infrastructure to support it...especially in the less developed west.

i like what mazda is doing with HCCI and skyactiv, i think it's smart to keep refining and developing the ICE engine instead of giving up on it altogether and pulling a volvo.

where do people think electricity comes from? coal, many times. EVs themselves might be cleaner, but when you consider where lots of them are getting that electricity then the whole "power supplier to wheel" chain is pretty unchanged from a petrol car. cleaner, yes, but not SO much cleaner.

IMO, as it is now leave the EVs for city driving, they have a long ways to go before they can easily match the practicality and ease of use for ICE vehicles when it comes to the long, interstate commutes many people make.

oh, and americans don't take well to having things they love banned, story has shown that through and through. car culture is huge here, especially among the older folks.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 1:35 am

The Tesla Supercharger stations aren't what they are cracked up to be... Still takes just over an hour for a full charge. I don't know about you, but my time is way to valuable for that. Many cars, even large trucks have further range and don't take long to fill up and get that same range again.

I noticed @Kiprobalhato mentioned the source of the power may not be clean... But mining the materials for the battery is one of the worse things for the environment. Combine the two, it's not about being green. But if you believe that, I can sale some carbon credits to make you feel better :lol:

I also believe diesel is the way of the future and wish America would adopt them more; they would if it wasn't for the EPA screwing them so bad (by chocking them with emissions and making them inefficient). Not only is diesel more efficient for both commuter cars and trucks (more so when towing). You can run diesel on plenty of alternative fuels, anything from jet fuel to vegetable oil.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 1:39 am

SH90 wrote:
I noticed @Kiprobalhato mentioned the source of the power may not be clean... But mining the materials for the battery is one of the worse things for the environment. Combine the two, it's not about being green. But if you
believe that, I can sale some carbon credits to make you feel better :lol:

so, virtue signaling?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 1:49 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
so, virtue signaling?

The Telsa makes the owners feel good about being "green", same with other electrics and hybrids. So yes, you could say virtue signaling... But I think there is a financial practical reason to LEASE a electric car for business purposes, or even buying a used Prius for personal use (replacing the battery yourself on Prius for a refurbished unit is not that expensive, different story on full electric platforms). The other small portion buying Telsa's are car enthusiast, believe it or not the Telsa is stupid fast, with insane acceleration. Plus you get a tax credit and it doesn't piss off the sensitive clients like a Mercedes S-Class would (Oddly, the S-Class is cheaper to lease).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:01 am

More TYT / Ring of fire crap generating lots of responses. Amazing.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:26 am

SH90 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
so, virtue signaling?

The Telsa makes the owners feel good about being "green", same with other electrics and hybrids. So yes, you could say virtue signaling... But I think there is a financial practical reason to LEASE a electric car for business purposes, or even buying a used Prius for personal use (replacing the battery yourself on Prius for a refurbished unit is not that expensive, different story on full electric platforms). The other small portion buying Telsa's are car enthusiast, believe it or not the Telsa is stupid fast, with insane acceleration. Plus you get a tax credit and it doesn't piss off the sensitive clients like a Mercedes S-Class would (Oddly, the S-Class is cheaper to lease).

It would seem like electric cars cause more pollution, because the environmentalists say natural gas is environmentally safer than burning "dirty coal" to generate electricity.

Searching google, I see research that says this is true. That many areas have coal-supplied electricity and thus, electric cars cause more Earth pollution.
https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news ... -gas-cars/

So, you shouldn't feel good, rather you should feel bad for increasing pollution ;)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:44 am

"Driving an electric car in China, where coal is by far the largest power plant fuel, is a catastrophe for climate change"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ily-clean/