Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

the whole point about China and electric cars is to get combustion engines out of their gigantic conurbations, and thus, reduce air pollution in cities.

yes, coal powered, but the powerplant is just not next to the forbidden city.

and: eventually, state-run power infrastructure will be upgraded to renewables in china, and at that point, private cars will already be electric.

but the main point is about reducing smog in cities. global warming is a side-issue for this action.

so, no real reason to ban combustion engines from missouri for a while, under this aspect - L.A. is different story.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

SH90 wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
I am not worried about it personally. I have a few collector cars (pre-1970s) to drive that predate when computer chips started being installed in vehicles. Kinda hard to hack them if the components are not set up for the hack in the first place. :lol:

On a side note: They even have manual 4-speeds to make driving fun. :heart: :D

What do you have? I've owned a couple classics, one being a 72 Triumph Spitfire, the other was a 63 Ford Falcon Convertible. I've also owned a number of modern classics... My next sports car I been been eyeing is a Alfa Romeo 4c Spider.

Most are projects that need various amounts of work, but some of them I can get them back to running condition if I put the charged batteries back in, air the tires back up and put the good gas in. I have them in guarded storage to prevent problems. I bought them decades ago when they were still cheap and easy to find. Among them, the most complete are:

1968 Ford Mustang coupe
1969 Dodge Charger
1969 Corvette Stingray
1970 Dodge Superbee clone (was a 2dr. hardtop Coronet 440 model)

I have more, but they are in very rough shape (some are basically parts cars for other cars that I own). However, I never sell what I latch on to, no matter how much someone offers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 2:02 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Among them, the most complete are:
Ahh; my parents had a 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 with the little 318 V8 which then became my car. I'm not a car person but I do know that motor is significant in motor history, and that's about the end of what I know about it. One of the most fun cars I ever had. At the same time Mom's sister had a bright yellow Super Bee. Even though that Coronet had power steering I would swear in the supreme court that you felt and knew exactly what was happening under the front tires; I never had a fear of losing control in bad weather or extreme situations.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 7:58 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Among them, the most complete are:
Ahh; my parents had a 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 with the little 318 V8 which then became my car. I'm not a car person but I do know that motor is significant in motor history, and that's about the end of what I know about it. One of the most fun cars I ever had. At the same time Mom's sister had a bright yellow Super Bee. Even though that Coronet had power steering I would swear in the supreme court that you felt and knew exactly what was happening under the front tires; I never had a fear of losing control in bad weather or extreme situations.

What you used to drive was an upgraded version of my Coronet 440, so yours had an upgraded interior and more chrome on the outside. My Coronet 440 too originally came with the 318. Nice, but not even close to the most powerful car on the road, even back then.

Funny thing you should mention about the yellow Superbee that your Aunt had. One of my rough projects is a 1970 Superbee in bright yellow, black vinyl top, black C-stripes down the sides and a black interior. It also had the small black go wing on the trunk. It had a 383 with ram air induction, 4-speed and a Dana-60 rear (drag pack) as ordered per the fender tag. I bought it from a guy who was using it as a parts car for a 426 Hemi Superbee that he was restoring. I only paid a couple of hundred dollars for it as he had to move soon and wanted the car gone. I missed picking up a 1970 Coronet station wagon he had by only a few hours. Why someone wanted the station wagon and passed on picking up the Superbee is anyone's guess. They were priced the same.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
... originally came with the 318. Nice, but not even close to the most powerful car on the road, even back then.
Even though as a kid while played I imaged the power of a car/truck when real life happened it was the comfort to sit in and drive and the usefulness for my purposes of a car which became the deciding factor. Through life circumstances I didn't really prefer, but, hey, that's life, in mid 1980s I went from the Coronet to a higher end Chevy Chevette. But ya know what, during the years I had that car it turned out to suit my purposes grandly.
Funny thing it was it got hit twice and inexplicably came off the winner both times. For instance; some small pickup of newer year and brand unrememberd rear ended it in a traffic jam and really chewed up its front end; the Chevette was like "Huh? What? Did something happen?" After about 15 years of the Chevette I had a Ford LTD for a few years. The Chevette shared a period of homelessness with me. I think we bonded deeply.

Eventually it was supplanted by a Dodge Dynasty. Now I have a Dodge/Chrysler minivan which as with the Coronet used to be my parents.
I'm not a soccer mom and never will be, have no children, but a minivan, that minivan in particular, suits my needs perfectly. Physically, my legs and back have issues and the higher than a car entry and exit are needed. Visibility from the driver seat is superb. It is comfortable to my body proportions. The cargo area works perfectly for hauling around my several bags of kites, lawn chairs, and leaving them in there while taking several baskets of laundry to laundromat. Also for model railroad sections, or tools, stuff, supplies, for our model train club here in our county seat farm burg.

While working at an auto auction I fell in love with the Dodge/Chrysler minivans and several years later when my aging parents went to get a new and different vehicle I bought their van - best used card dealers Ive ever dealt with. 8)