what does a idiot mean to you? do people think ur one?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

No, people don't usually think I'm an idiot, as judged by their remarks. Generally they seem to think I'm fairly bright. Sometimes they've been angry and surprised how such an intelligent person as I can sometimes make the most (seemingly) idiotic mistakes, and I think that's led to some suspicion that I must have deliberately taken a dive for some ulterior reason such as getting out of a bit of work. It seems to fit the notion that Aspies get strangely mixed results on intelligence tests.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as an idiot, apart from people with actual brain damage (hence the archaic medical definition), and even they can be clever in some ways. I prefer to think in terms of aptitudes, for specified tasks, but I don't think there's a very good consensus on which aptitudes are the most important for survival, so it's hard to measure a person's overall level of idiocy by way of aptitude tests, perhaps because overall idiocy doesn't really exist.

I'm sure I could have said all that in a couple of crisp sentences, but I'm too stupid.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

I'm not really keen on the word "idiot". In fact I'm not really sure what it means and when I've heard other people use the word it always seems to me to be the worst possible insult to use to describe a person, just based on the context in which it's said.

I much prefer to use the words "c**t" or "prick" or "dick head". They're words I understand and people around me understand when I use these words as well.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 4:07 pm

Well I certainly feel like one. :( I sometimes get called one, but not that often.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

To me it does not mean what it literally means. It just means someone who makes absurd ideas and has absurd views and makes zero sense and their post to mine doesn't make any sense because it has nothing to do with what I had written.

Example of an idiot:

Children should not be in the bathroom for a different gender than their own once they start walking

Why this is an idiotic statement:

Because some begin walking before they are a year old, even one year olds can walk and two year olds and they can;t change their own diapers and kids that small still need help going to the bathroom. How can they do that alone if they can come in the women's restroom with their mother or in the men's restroom with their father?

Another example of an idiot, someone telling me that it's snowflake parenting to have kids suffer natural consequences because it's a wonder why some kids don't respect authority that way.

Why it's idiotic:

Kids will still learn authority and still learn responsibilities and that you make rules for a reason and you have a reason for telling them to do things and not telling them to do things. I don't see how this is even connected to snowflake parenting because snowflake parents never teach their kids anything and think their kids can do no wrong and I don't see how this is even related to natural consequences.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.