Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2017, 6:09 am

13. Oh well.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2017, 6:33 am

18. I thought I was quite empathetic. Maybe I just don't realise what I miss.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shadowself
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

traven wrote:
so much, that everybodies POV is valid(understandable) but not mine
for one it is lack of selfassurance/worth/defence, otoh it's being slightly out of body(center)
oh test, lets not, not only english is different thinking but also the mainstream perspective needed is not at all here

psychology is fashioning what to think, mindcontrol by magazine, for your latest suburbian standards

and the lazy thinking in all this shit-testing, alwaysthis-vs-alwaysthat :skull:

I do agree traven. Psychology fashions what to think. Psychology as a practice defines normal, then defines disease as "not what we said is normal".

One eye opened slowly, green and gold as sunlight in the woods. The cat said,"I am what I am. I would tell you what you want to know if I could, for you have been kind to me. But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer."

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

I received 13 out of 80. I never realized I was so hypo-empathetic, I mean I know I'm not the most caring person in the world but I thought I'd do better than that. Perhaps that's why I try to overcompensate with extreme politeness.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

NamelessNinja42
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2017, 12:07 am

Hello I'm new here. I got a 6 out of 80 and now I feel like I'm some kind of freak lol. I really only feel empathy for my family members or people I am close to, and for them I feel a lot of empathy.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm

Same here. I do not feel empathy for those I hardly know. I don't understand why you should.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm

Took the Baron-Cohen test a couple of times when first diagnosed, with a few weeks between. Consistent scores: 65/80 on the empathy part. I think I scored 15/16 on the autism part, but it was the empathy score that jolted me, and stuck in my memory. I'd always thought I was normal in that respect at least. Nope.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ennui0001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2017, 11:09 pm

CageNietzsche wrote:
I'm new to essentially all of this. Not the spectrum, but actually talking about it. There was an argument between myself and some diagnosing psychiatrist about whether or not I am empathetic because of how I am. I am aware of feelings, know what people are trying to do and say (as much as someone can), and can see things from their emotional standpoint. I learned to read body language and microexpressions to understand. Other side of that, I don't relate. I don't feel what they do, even if it seems I'm trying to be helpful I only notice because it allows for less emotional drama later. I'm usually only nice about it if I think it will cause me more effort later to be myself. So am I empathetic, or just observant?

Observant. I think? I'll speak for myself and say observant.
The problem that I have is that I may think that I am observant and that I understand people at least half the time, but I can never say for sure because I may just think I get it while they're thinking I'm completely weird. Then I over-analyze and it becomes a thing.

I too have said that I do things so that I don't have to "hear it later". Do something that involves drama now to not hear about it later with even more drama attached. I asked a family member to rate events from 1-10 when asking me to do them, one is not important to them, ten means I better go or else. She seemed offended and gave me "the look", the one that says they can't believe that I'm saying whatever I'm saying out loud.
To me that is a perfectly reasonable system.

Btw I scored an 11 when I honestly thought I was answering the questions in a pretty balanced way. :roll: @ self

Edit: The questions about animals should count for more points to make up some of the difference. Animals, especially the canidae family can move me to tears quite easily. Dogs are the best people.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (Act 1 Scene 5), Hamlet to Horatio

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

Your Empathy Quotient score was 61 out of a possible 80.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 12:11 pm

HughDYork wrote:
lazyflower wrote:
Scored 43 out of 80.
Apparently not on the autism spectrum then..

Not saying that I am, but have they not heard of hyper-empathy? It's actually quite common for people on the spectrum!

oh,,, i've never heard about hyper -emphaty

I haven't either----but, I know I'm someone who cries, when others cry, and get terribly upset when other people hurt (physically or mentally), for instance; so, if that's what "hyper-empathy" is, then I guess I have that.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:54 pm

This says alot about the way *I* am.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I always put other people's feelings above my own... I can even feel other people's emotions almost as if they were my own...

I almost always put other people's feelings, above my own, as well. I'm the kind of person who will drop EVERYTHING, to help someone with a problem and/or if they're hurting, emotionally, or whatever----and, I've even had to learn to consider MYSELF, MORE.

I can also feel other people's emotions "almost as if they were my own"----in-fact, I've said a couple of times, on here, that I have a tendency to, sort-of, "wear" other people's problems (and emotions), if I'm not careful (I've had to learn to be careful, or it would allow someone to bring me down, WITH them).

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I can also sense people's presence... Some people just feel... good or unpleasant, too.

Yeah, I can totally "feel" people----their presence, and also if they're good or bad. I've told this story, on here, before..... One time, a man walked into the store where I was working, and I thought to myself: "Good GOD, he looks like a child molester"----and then, however much time later, it was on the news that he had been arrested, for child molestation. It was the strangest thing to me----cuz, what does a child molester, LOOK-like; but, I had sensed his "essence", I guess, or whatever. Things, like that, have happened a few times, over the course of my life.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
HughDYork wrote:
...let me ask you a question - so you can feel emotions of other human being, so can you read his hidden intetions for example or does he lie or not?

No, I can't tell that, unless someone's lying about what they're feeling - like if they're upset but say they aren't. I suppose it's possible that if I was paying enough attention, I could tell if someone was feeling something one wouldn't expect in a situation because they were lying. I'm really only good at identifying basic emotions. I still have to sort through why someone's feeling a certain way, and I'm a lot less good at that.

Yeah, I can tell when someone is lying----about whatever, really----but, the rest of this is where I begin to see the difference between you and I. For instance, I seem to be able to identify more than "basic emotions", and CAN, often, tell why someone is feeling a certain way. I've often been able to sense things about what a person is feeling, that THEY don't even know they're feeling----which is, IMO, not all that uncommon (well, it might be uncommon for Aspies), because it's, like, human nature, to not be able to see the forest, for the trees; and, the weird thing about it, is that I'm not conscious of thinking the thought, if you know what I mean----like, it's not like it runs-through my mind: "Mmm, I wonder what they're meaning - maybe they mean THIS....."; it just pops into my head. At the risk of sounding overly-dramatic, or whatever, it almost seems like clairvoyance.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:59 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Do I have the highest?

You did, until Esmerelda Weatherwax posted her score of 65/80.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:00 pm

Black Spot wrote:
I don't like to see people in pain. People in public, like at bus stops etc tend to chat to me a lot - they do most of the talking. I must have that kind of face. I don't understand people who are jealous about anything.

This is very similar to the way *I* am. I don't like to see people in pain, either----it can be absolutely heart-wrenching, to me. I DO, however, understand jealous people, cuz I've experienced it myself, when I was an insecure "kid" (like, 20s).

The thing that you said, that was the most interesting, was the bit about talking to people at bus stops, and that you "must have that kind of face", cuz I've often said this, about MYSELF. I've often said (when meeting someone in-person) that I can get a person's ENTIRE life-story out of them, within MINUTES----and, I've said that I didn't know if it was my face, or voice, or what; I've, since, decided that maybe it was just that I asked questions / was interested. I dunno----but, it's really nice knowing that someone ELSE has experienced this.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

apparently not empathetic enough to get the quiz thing to work on my phone.

i always find myself selecting the centermost least-extreme options on these. here it was often "slightly disagree"

which probably reflects my lack of enthusiasm in general????

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm

15 out of 80

Didn't think I would score that low.

Days
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2017, 1:23 am

Your Empathy Quotient score was 7 out of a possible 80.

Scores of 30 or less indicate a lack of empathy common in people with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I thought my answers suggested I would have had a higher score but I was obviously wrong.

Diagnosed with ASD (aspergers) at age 19.