Has the LGBT community become a deranged cult?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 35
Location: Puerto Rico

18 Sep 2017, 11:25 am

Don't get me wrong I know that there's plenty of good people on the LGBT community who are both reasonable and not part of some deranged cult, However after the 2016 elections I have noticed that not only has the community plunged into mass hysteria after Trump' s victory but also that they have been sharing various similarities to cults like the Church of Scientology and the People's Temple with their various attempts to censor free speech and exploit its emotionally fragile followers by asking to give their leaders money (example: Anita Sarkeesian's Feminist Frequency).

A few good examples of the LGBT community's cult-like behavior are these videos by transgender YouTuber Blair White:





With that said I do want to make it very clear that I am not trying to make some kind of inflammatory comment towards the LGBT community, rather I'm just trying to open some discussion about the corruption and flaws of the LGBT community.

Just how similar the LGBT community has become to the Church of Scientology and the People's Temple post U. S. 2016 elections?



BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Jan 2017
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 917
Location: NOVA

18 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

I have defiantly seen some crazy, but not everyone is that way.



EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 35
Location: Puerto Rico

18 Sep 2017, 4:28 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I have defiantly seen some crazy, but not everyone is that way.


Then we should try to do our best to show to the general public just that!

...Problem is those of us who are "crazy" are overshadow us, hence making them the main representation of the LGBT community; political, bigoted and insane. :roll:

Is that how you want the LGBT community to be remembered for? I don't think so.



akn90
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 21 Aug 2017
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 60

24 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

I'd recommend you stop watching alt-right YouTube channels. They hate LGBT people so they have a vested interest in making the community look bad. They have a long track record for manipulating videos dishonestly (James O'Keefe being the most obvious example of this).



BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Jan 2017
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 917
Location: NOVA

25 Sep 2017, 8:46 pm

akn90 wrote:
I'd recommend you stop watching alt-right YouTube channels. They hate LGBT people so they have a vested interest in making the community look bad. They have a long track record for manipulating videos dishonestly (James O'Keefe being the most obvious example of this).

What about LGBT youtubers who have an issue? Blaire White? T.J. Kirk?



thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 146
Location: Kent, England

27 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

This isn't an LGBT thing it is a left-wing politics thing, and isn't even restricted to the US.


_________________
Diagnosed Aspie.


Sonnenblumen13
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: 'Murica

28 Sep 2017, 12:52 pm

I'm transgender and I generally hate the LGBT community. They make everything about politics when it's not. I have no problem with most of the individual people, there's just a few who sort of feed this mass hysteria. Personally when I go on Tumblr I just want to see some tips on passing as a guy, or overcoming dysphoria, or finding people to date. But all I end up seeing is people spewing their ideologies everywhere. It's really kind of irritating.


_________________
"I may disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."


AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 430
Location: New Zealand

07 Nov 2017, 9:44 am

The problem is the normal ones (reasonable, intelligent) don't stand up and tell the shouty idiot /crazy ones to sit down and shut it.
You guys need to take affirmative action to put them into line, or they will completely discredit your community entirely.

Whomever shouts the loudest is not correct.

Some other things to focus on is simplifying all the crazy letters.
How about you just call yourselves Queer, that will make it much more accessible and understandable to the majority of the world.

Also ease up on the pronoun stuff, it's okay to make others aware, but don't ram it down our throats and attack us - going to war is not going to help your cause.


_________________
Self Diagnosed
AQ 39
Aspie Quiz Rdos, Aspergers 117 of 200;Neurotypical 119 of 200
Mild / High Functioning


d057
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 439
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

11 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

I am glad to see you are not the only person who feels this way!

akn90 wrote:
I'd recommend you stop watching alt-right YouTube channels. They hate LGBT people so they have a vested interest in making the community look bad. They have a long track record for manipulating videos dishonestly (James O'Keefe being the most obvious example of this).


_________________
Living my life one day at a time.


Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 622
Location: England

12 Nov 2017, 5:59 pm

Unfortunately, every group has its extremists. Although those with extreme views often do not provide an accurate representation of the mainstream views of that group, because they shout the loudest, they are the ones that are heard.

I always approach this subject with caution, because what people define as extreme can often vary. Some people consider having gay characters on cartoons extreme, but personally I do not.

As for AngryAngryAngry's question, the word queer doesn't have the best of histories. There are people within the community that dislike the word because it was used to insult them, but there is a big movement to reclaim the word as something positive. Also, if someone says that they are queer, then they are often assumed to be bisexual (especially within the community) so it's not always the best catch all word (particularly for exclusively gay individuals).

When people complain about the community, they often bring up the long acronym. Well yeah, of course the full thing is long, why do you think we shorten it? :D The community set out to be inclusive, and unfortunately with differing cultural views on gender and sexuality, it has led to a lot of categories because the world is an exceptionally grey place that isn't always easily defined.

I dislike watching most alt right stuff on YouTube, because it often comes across as "Ha, aren't LGBT people messed up in the brain", rather than "I disagree and express concerns about this particular category and feel like it doesn't belong in the community acronym". I would rather see a video similar to the latter.

Then, there's the small matter of people who do not fall under the LGBT community acronym, but people just assume they do. People who identify as Otherkin do not fall under the acronym, nowhere in the full acronym does Otherkin appear, yet because some people claim it as a gender even though it has nothing to do with gender, so some people confuse the two groups together.

In fact, there's a good Collegehumor video that draws attention to people who use the Trans label incorrectly for things that don't even relate to gender.



I don't know if any of you here are aware of the "drop the T" campaign that happened several years ago. Basically, a bunch of people campaigned for the LGB to be separate from the T and all gender categories to fall under a separate group. Individuals and organisations were quick to point out that gender and sexuality often go hand in hand, and there are Trans people out there who are also lesbian, gay and bi. Granted, there are Trans people whom are straight, and many straight Trans people do not feel like they are truly a part of the community since there is a strong push for equal rights for LGB people, and there is less of a focus on straight Trans people. Although, it's not just about cis LGB people, since there is some focus on Trans issues (in particular the public toilet laws and debate in North Carolina).

This picture right here shows the problems with restricting public toilets to the gender on someone's birth certificate when they were born, and not allowing them to change it:

Image

On the left, a trans woman who has to go in the men's, and on the right is a trans man who looks equally out of place in the women's.


_________________
Age and orientation: 18, Homosexual.

Diagnosis progress

Autism: I have some traits, but it's just sort of a "Eh, maybe" at this point. Not currently pursuing an evaluation.

Dyscalculia diagnosis progress: planning to apply for private testing.

OCD, and GAD: both possibilities, but I'd rather get tested for Dyscalculia first, before I address what's causing my underlying anxiety.


kahhh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 67

29 Nov 2017, 7:27 am

Just gonna mention, queer is a reclaimed slur and shouldn't be used by anyone who doesn't consider themselves queer.


Anyway. I wouldn't say it's quite as extreme as those videos, but I agree with sonnenblumen13. A lot of what I see anymore is almost... "Clique-y" is definitely not the word I'm thinking of, and I wouldn't quite say cult-like, but my mind's blanking on a better alternative? and just a bit obnoxious.



booksatrillion
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 12
Location: USA

01 Dec 2017, 2:08 pm

No, the LGBT+ community is not a "deranged cult" that's like saying that everyone on this site is part of a deranged cult. It's a community, there's a difference. Political view and sexual preference are not connected and protesters advocating for left leaning issues are not necessarily allies. Sweeping generalizations are harmful to everyone involved.



MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,853
Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

booksatrillion wrote:
No, the LGBT+ community is not a "deranged cult" that's like saying that everyone on this site is part of a deranged cult. It's a community, there's a difference. Political view and sexual preference are not connected and protesters advocating for left leaning issues are not necessarily allies. Sweeping generalizations are harmful to everyone involved.


This exactly.

I will agree that there are some extreme situations like on tumblr, but that's it, an extreme. Defining the community as an extremist group undermines what a lot of us are actively working for.

Take feminism for example, a lot of people have no idea that there are many subcultures of feminism. Racidal feminism, liberal feminism, intersectional feminism, etc. The extremists tend to be radical feminists, yadda yadda yadda.

But what people also need to realize is that a lot of extreme behavior is caused by generalization and gross behavior by people who marginalize them to begin with. Calling people "SJWs" because they're outraged about something, simply because the issue doesn't affect you and you're not angry about it, is a sign of ignorance. Tone-policing at it's finest.

My advice would be to do your own research instead of making assumptions based off of a few youtube videos.


_________________
When in doubt, ask someone with ASD. Chances are, they're obsessed with what you need to know. :roll:


d057
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 439
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

11 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

Thank you, took the words right out of my mouth!

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
booksatrillion wrote:
No, the LGBT+ community is not a "deranged cult" that's like saying that everyone on this site is part of a deranged cult. It's a community, there's a difference. Political view and sexual preference are not connected and protesters advocating for left leaning issues are not necessarily allies. Sweeping generalizations are harmful to everyone involved.


This exactly.

I will agree that there are some extreme situations like on tumblr, but that's it, an extreme. Defining the community as an extremist group undermines what a lot of us are actively working for.

Take feminism for example, a lot of people have no idea that there are many subcultures of feminism. Racidal feminism, liberal feminism, intersectional feminism, etc. The extremists tend to be radical feminists, yadda yadda yadda.

But what people also need to realize is that a lot of extreme behavior is caused by generalization and gross behavior by people who marginalize them to begin with. Calling people "SJWs" because they're outraged about something, simply because the issue doesn't affect you and you're not angry about it, is a sign of ignorance. Tone-policing at it's finest.

My advice would be to do your own research instead of making assumptions based off of a few youtube videos.


_________________
Living my life one day at a time.


infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 534
Location: Home

12 Jan 2018, 6:12 am

From a US perspective:

I think the reason that many LGBT people find themselves on the left side is because the right is actively working to keep things as they've always been. They're fundamentalists and anything that is progressive or new goes against their very beliefs. They're too busy trying to make america great again to have time to consider new perspectives on love and gender.

The problem is, the left has become toxic in the way it approaches progress. It accuses people of being hateful or fearful when they're just a little ignorant or misinformed. There is far too much pessimism and anger and everything is a fight.

So when you have people who feel the need to associate with a group in order to protect themselves from the other group they start to adopt the behaviors and thoughts of the new group (in this case the left)... if those thoughts and behaviors are toxic, then that community of people will appear to be toxic as well...

however... just because many people within the LGBT community have sided with larger sub-culture that is toxic not all of us associate with that sub-culture. Some of us find that the Rs and Ds are both destructive to the american way of life in their bickering back and forth and we just watch and hope at some point that our overall culture improves.

Personally, I am an optimist. I think much of this is just because the LGBT experience is only maybe 10-20 years deep in being part of the mainstream and we as a species need to learn how that fits in with everyday life.

One of the things that the youtuber in the OP mentions is the criticism about bringing up the "western world"... the real reason why calling out something as it being influenced by being part of the western world, is globalization. There are many of us who believe that globalization is one of the things that will lead to better cultural enlightenment. As the western world melts into the global community everyone in "the west" and "the east" will be better for it. Although this is just a political opinion that I hold and not everyone would necessarily agree with me.


_________________
Very high systematizing, low empathy, but moderate to high sympathy.
I do not experience cognitive dissonance reduction the way that other people do.
Currently seeking a diagnosis for Asperger's/ASD in March.