A slim optical drive in a case that allows for one?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:18 pm

The case is from Silverstone (I know...expensive, but it's SMALL), an ML08.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607

There are videos on YouTube of people building computers in this case, but in one video the builder said there was a place in the case that would allow for installing an optical drive...a SLIM optical drive.

Does anyone know what that would mean? Take a drive meant for a laptop that has regular SATA connectors (power and data) on it, and put that into the case? I've seen a few ready-made computers you can buy that have slim optical drives, but I can't find any slim drives that specify they're meant for PC cases and computer builds.

Anyone here actually built a computer and used a slim optical drive, not a regular sized one?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:35 am

I haven't used the ML08 specifically but I've built in a number of Silverstone's small form factor cases including the RVZ01, RVZ02 and SG13. From what I gather the ML08 is basically just the RVZ02 with a carrying handle.

There's lots of slim optical drives available for small form factor builds. Your best bet is to look for one made by Silverstone as they make a lot of small form factor compatible hardware. If you can't find something from them just search on the internet for a 'small form factor' or 'low profile' optical drive. You're basically looking for an optical drive that is identical to a normal optical drive, except it's smaller. If you have any doubts about case clearance you can use PcPartPicker.com to check for any compatibility issues. If you have yet to get the hardware for this build then I strongly advise you to use this site before making any purchases. I use it for every build I ever make, it's very useful for determining the overall price and parts compatibility.

I should add that though I've built in a lot of small form factor cases I've not had an optical drive for at least a decade. I just don't see much use for them and neither have anyone that I've built computers for. I'd just as soon include a floppy drive in my builds. What do you need an optical drive for in this day and age?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I haven't used the ML08 specifically but I've built in a number of Silverstone's small form factor cases including the RVZ01, RVZ02 and SG13. From what I gather the ML08 is basically just the RVZ02 with a carrying handle.

There's lots of slim optical drives available for small form factor builds. Your best bet is to look for one made by Silverstone as they make a lot of small form factor compatible hardware. If you can't find something from them just search on the internet for a 'small form factor' or 'low profile' optical drive. You're basically looking for an optical drive that is identical to a normal optical drive, except it's smaller. If you have any doubts about case clearance you can use PcPartPicker.com to check for any compatibility issues. If you have yet to get the hardware for this build then I strongly advise you to use this site before making any purchases. I use it for every build I ever make, it's very useful for determining the overall price and parts compatibility.

I should add that though I've built in a lot of small form factor cases I've not had an optical drive for at least a decade. I just don't see much use for them and neither have anyone that I've built computers for. I'd just as soon include a floppy drive in my builds. What do you need an optical drive for in this day and age?

THANK YOU!

I really want to build a new system, but use one of the new Ryzen APUs...if they ever actually release them. If not, I may have to just get a current Ryzen 5 CPU, and use a graphics card. And as for the optical drive, I guess I'm just stubborn. I still want the option of burning data to discs and watching DVDs on my computer. :D

Thanks again. My small form factor computer is getting a bit dated, and building one in that format HAS to be my next build.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 2:14 am

If you're going to use an APU why use that case though? The GPU compartment will just be a huge empty space that takes up half the volume of the case.