Can autistic males be mistaken as "effeminate" ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2017, 12:29 pm

I honestly don't relate to the way most men think or do things. I never thought of myself as effeminate , though. (most women confuse me as well). I was wondering because I have movements that are less fluid or not as strong as a typical male. Body language is foreign to me anyway. But I know that there's something different in how I move , particularly, I don't know what to do with my arms usually. But also maybe my speech mannerisms, etc. A lot of people have thought I was a sissy or effeminate (implying homosexuality, etc) I don't know why I come across this way. I always thought I was pretty masculine. Even though I do sometimes talk about my "beauty" but some times I am being facetious. Anyways, I wonder if autism traits can be mistaken for effeminacy in males.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2017, 2:01 pm

Not in my experience, in fact exactly the oposite.

Autism is discribe as being the extreme male end of the spectrum of neurodiversity.

BBC: Radio 4

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

mistaken for? i would say-definitely, though having feminine mannerisms and body language doesn't equal actually having a more womanlike brain and hormones.

most-no....practically all of my friends ever have been women, many of them older than me, but i don't claim to "understand women" better than average men because no matter how lobg i've been talking to them they can still leave me completely and absolutely baffled sometimes. maybe that counts for something.

something about me just makes it easier. but within my own family, i get along easier with the guys.

i can understand OPs sentiments about body language and movement...i like to make myself smaller, i don't like the male "power poses" much. probably cross my legs too often (ALL THE WAY)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:41 pm

In some men yes. My Mum complains that my Dad sits in too feminine a way. He's an aspie.

I have a suspected aspie friend that people often assume is gay, but he is into women. He's just a bit arty.

I think aspie men don't care about or are less inclined to emulate masculine mannerisms that NTs do.

Conversely I've got aspie female friends that are ungainly and not very feminine in their mannerisms. They just act how they like. They don't care about imitating other women to fit in.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:45 pm

I don't know, can autistic females be mistaken for "tomboys"?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

^all the time.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2017, 3:04 pm

I wouldn't describe myself as effeminate by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not "traditionally masculine": I hate sports, I don't constantly think about sex or stare at women's chests, I'm not terribly interested in a powerful, high-earning career (in fact, my dream job would be "stay-at-home-dad"), and in general I find traditionally masculine mannerisms off-putting (broad gestures, posturing, etc.). It's probably not surprising that most of my friends have been female... ;)

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

I am both.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

I'm not effeminate. I would describe myself as "normally" masculine.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

I probably do sometimes, but that is only my opinion. I kind of aspire to be softer or more woman-ish anyway. At the same time, I also have some aspiration to "improve" my masculinity. :?

I'd still say I am masculine, but in a more "mild" form compared to a lot of average males.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:08 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't know, can autistic females be mistaken for "tomboys"?

True to my case. :lol:
Yet my inclination is either or neither.

I've met plenty of autistic boys with a lot of feminine inclinations. Said inclinations aren't social inclinations though (being emotional, sensitive, and social). More like cultural inclinations (gender roles, traditions, and preferences).
Mind that said autistics are far cry from being aspies in terms of... 'Visibility'. I'm not sure in case of aspies.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

floodwater
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2017, 12:08 am

a lot of "gendered" body language, behavior, and speech mannerisms – actually, a lot of gender presentation in general – is actually developed through semi-subliminal social messaging rather than it being physiological, as you might be made to believe.... and none of us internalize that stuff very well, so i think many autistic people may come off as more androgynous in that respect?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 12:11 am

Because I did not talk about girls all the time and was different people thought I was gay and I was bullied for it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2017, 2:31 am

I was often called gay when I was young, but was never interested in guys. So..I guess I was effeminate. But I learned how to walk like a man and talk like a man simply by practice. Even my ex used to say I act gay sometimes but I only did it for the lolz...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 7:35 am

I talked about girls all the time---and I was still bullied and called "fa***t" lol

CharlesRooster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

I think being mistaken as Effeminate could be possible, especially if the individual acts in a very timid manner. As for actually being effeminate, I don't think autism would determine that. Then again, I might possibly be wrong?

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ