Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

Here's mine. Now, don't knock this, it's absolutely delicious. Here it is:

HERB CHEESE/AVO ROLL

Ingredients:

*One or two bread rolls. Turkish-style or seeded (e.g. pumpkin seed) is best. You can often find them in packs at the supermarket.
*Half an avocado (you may not use it all)
*Your choice of stretchy tasty cheese (preferably sliced)
*sesame seeds
*dried oregano (optional)
*your choice of lettuce (I like iceberg)

Method:

1. Use a serrated knife to cut rolls open (cut 3 sides leaving attached from one long side) and lay flat on sandwich board or large plate.

2. Get an avocado. Cut around with a sharp knife. Twist avo halves to separate.

3. Use a spoon or a cheese knife with a curved end to gouge out avocado flesh and spread onto bread rolls. Be generous!

4. Sprinkle sesame seeds onto avocado on bread. Add some dried oregano for extra flavour.

5. Get some stretchy cheese and lay enough slices over bread to cover all the avocado. Add more sesame seeds if you wish.

6. Place rolls on plate and under a low grill for about 45 minutes (or 15 minutes on a medium heat).

7. While the rolls are cooking, chop a salad of your choice. I find plain lettuce to be quite wonderful: simple and a perfect complement to the dry saltiness of the rolls. Place lettuce in a small bowl.

8. Take rolls out, close and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.

9. Tuck in!

Tips:

You will get the best results if you use fresh bread bought the same day. The cheese will also be more stretchy if you choose the 45 minute on low heat option. The avocado increases the moreish factor by about a million.

I don't know what sort of grill you have, but it's best to stay close to it if you're not sure about the timing. Usually, the rolls will let you know when they're ready. When you start to smell the cheese, get your oven mitts ready. (Oh yeah, watch the plate cz it'll be hot!)

Wrap leftover lettuce in a small kitchen towel and place either in a plastic bag in the fridge or in a glass or stainless steel bowl covered with plastic wrap (and then in the fridge). It should keep well for 5-10 days, depending on the humidity levels where you live.

I find putting avocado halves in a plastic container with a lid and keeping in the fridge keeps it well for a few days. You can then repeat the recipe until the avocado is all gone. :mrgreen:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 2:37 pm

stretchy cheese....

how would a cheese be strechy....do you mean it melts well or doesn't crumble?

i'm having a hard time visualizing the end result of your recipe but from what i do understand it sounds delish.
i usually prefer romaine lettuce myself.

avocados here are bloody expensive though. must be the high demand, low supply.

WATER

ingredients: water (liquid)

container (optional)

no....i do have some foods i like to make, but i wouldn't be sure if they're "aspie friendly" or not. many of them are cheesy.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:38 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
stretchy cheese....

how would a cheese be strechy....do you mean it melts well or doesn't crumble?

i'm having a hard time visualizing the end result of your recipe but from what i do understand it sounds delish.
i usually prefer romaine lettuce myself.

avocados here are bloody expensive though. must be the high demand, low supply.

WATER

ingredients: water (liquid)

container (optional)

no....i do have some foods i like to make, but i wouldn't be sure if they're "aspie friendly" or not. many of them are cheesy.

Yes, I mean it melts well. If you live somewhere where avocados are never cheap, then this is definitely a recipe for a special occasion. You can also use butter or a mixture of ricotta and normal cheese for the creaminess factor.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

Tortilla wraps.
Cheese.
Sweet Chilli Sauce. (optional)
Pepperoni or Chorizo slices.

Use a little olive oil on the pan and heat.
Put 1 tortilla wrap on a plate and spread out ingredients on top of wrap, then place the 2nd tortilla wrap on top and add to frying pan, 2-3mins on each side should do it.

Then cut into slices like a pizza. mmmmmmmmmmmm this is gonna be great.....

Then serve.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 10:27 am

Tuna pasta bake is good also, but my favourite is curry. If your making a spaghetti bolognese or lasagne, use lamb mince and see the difference mmmmmm thats good....

Ooooooor! Sweet potato chips in the oven brushed with olive oil and paprika served with salmon.

Ooooooooooooor ! Smoked salmon slices with scrambled egg.

Or a good irish stew or coddle... yum yum cats bum cabbage and potatoes.....

Don't mind me I'm being silly.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:33 am

Microwaved mini-omelette.

Use one of those Pyrex or similar dishes that are small and round -- mine is about 4 or 5 inch diameter.

I have not tried this with a standard or large round dish; I suspect it may only cook all the way through in a little one.

Break 1 egg into the 4" glass dish.

Add whatever you want or leave it plain. You can add the normal omelette things like salt, pepper, milk, dash of oil or butter, chopped ingredients, cheese etc.

I actually just add a dollop of good mayo, but that's just me, I don't like too many things to fuss with. The mayo provides an oilier element to help prevent the egg from sticking but also a bit of zesty flavor.

Hand-whisk with a fork or a whisk until blended and with some visible bubbles (they will aerate while cooking and make your mini omelette fluffier).

Microwave for approximately 45 to 50 seconds if your microwave is rated at 800. Other wattage may need longer or shorter times.

Slip the mini omelette out with the tip of a knife; I eat mine on a slice of wholemeal toast. You could also do scrambled eggs using some of these steps.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

Oh yum, these all sound so yum! Keep them coming.

Nay, I'm moving in with you. :P

Now, I'm hungry. I've just come up with a dessert roll recipe. You take a roll, spread hazelnut spread on it and add chopped banana. Sooooo goooood.....

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 5:50 pm

Ok cool but I'm not really a dessert kinda guy buuuuuuuut..... if i was to pick a dessert it would probably have to be bannofi or brownies, gooey chewy ones. I could get fat just reading this. But back to the main course.... Shepards pie is a good one but who can beat clonakilty pudding with fried egg on a sandwich, and it has to be brennans bread of course, no less. And when i say pudding i dont mean the dessert kind. Its an irish thing. But who can beat a good oul rasher (bacon) buttie. Its a bacon sandwich guys get with the program, oh and it has to be real butter on it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kind Regards, Nay.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:08 pm

I have yet to eat a proper bacon bottie...

P.S. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

Today i had a thai chicken peanut thingy dinner it was really good even though it doesn't sound nice, i had it with basmati rice. Ive this awful craving for a doner kebab though! Its a breaking me down slowly till i give in, i can feel it.

Ps: Yum diddly ump shish!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 3:52 pm

Here is one of the (very) few things I know how to cook :lol: :

Cheese Quesadillas

1. Get a saute pan, grater, cheese, tortillas, plate, and spatula.
2. Heat saute pan on medium heat for 2 minutes.
3. Grate the cheese.
4. Place grated cheese on the tortilla.
5. Slide the tortilla into the saute pan. Make sure the cheese is spread across one half.
6. When the cheese begins to melt, fold the tortilla in half.
7. Turn the quesadilla over once or twice until it is toasted on both sides and the cheese is melted.
8. Eat the quesadilla :D .

I hope that this is an "aspie-friendly" recipe! I like it :D . If you are an aspie who craves spices and hot foods, then you can add salsa and hot sauce. If you are like me and can't stand that sort of thing, then you can eat it plain.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 12:22 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Cheese Quesadillas

3. Grate the cheese.
5. Slide the tortilla into the saute pan. Make sure the cheese is spread across one half.
7. Turn the quesadilla over once or twice until it is toasted on both sides and the cheese is melted.

I hope that this is an "aspie-friendly" recipe! I like it :D . If you are an aspie who craves spices and hot foods, then you can add salsa and hot sauce. If you are like me and can't stand that sort of thing, then you can eat it plain.

Yum! I'm going to have to start eating me some tortillas.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 12:52 pm

Alita wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Cheese Quesadillas

3. Grate the cheese.

Yum! I'm going to have to start eating me some tortillas.

Yay! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:09 pm

Taco pie

Green onion
Mixed shredded cheese
Lean ground pork
Taco seasoning
On-the-vine tomato, diced
Whole wheat tortillas, large

Take lean ground pork, sautee in skillet till fully cooked and add taco seasoning.

Take oven friendly glass pie plate.

Spray pie plate with pam

Press in large tortilla to form bottom of pie

Cover completely with a layer of cooked ground pork, shredded cheese of your choice, finely diced green onions

Cover that layer with another large tortilla

Cover that with another layer of cooked ground pork, cheese, and diced green onions

Cover with that layer with the 3rd and final tortilla

Cover final tortilla with diced on-the-vine tomatoes, diced green onion, cheese and cooked ground pork

Put in the oven at 425F for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the tortilla turn brown/crisp

Serve like an ordinary pie and enjoy

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

Baked Fish Filets

4 Fish filets such as tilapia, cod, salmon, whatever; still frozen is fine
1 bag (1 lb.) of frozen mixed vegetables (WalMart's Great Value Deluxe does nicely)
EVOO
Dried parsley
Oregano
Paprika
Salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, shiny side up, spray it with PAM. Remove filets from packaging and evenly then on foil. Drizzle a little EVOO on each one then sprinkle with the dry ingredients. Arrange frozen mixed vegetables around filets. Salt and pepper filets and veg to taste.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and fish flakes easily with fork.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2017, 2:55 pm

Nay, what on earth is clonakilty pudding?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/