Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

naturalplastic wrote:
We cant be "bog standard" because a bog is a type of swamp, and our president vowed to "drain the swamp". :lol:

Is that some British expression? Ive never heard it before. And don't know what it means.

It is a British expression but I'm not really sure where it cones from. I can only assume it's related to the fact that we call a toilet "the bog". I await correction.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi Stampy :D

I don't have many of the stereotypical "Aspie" traits, though I used to have many as a child.

Hello :D !

I have a few stereotypical "Aspie" traits. I also don't have all the common traits.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

@Voxish: people, who haven't any special talents/skills, could be described as bog standard.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:19 pm

Well..thats friggin boring. Who wants to be that?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

Where does the bog come into it?

You don't hear about the bog standard autistic people because there's nothing to note.
Of course the focus is going to be on the more outstanding traits.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:42 pm

Trueno wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
We cant be "bog standard" because a bog is a type of swamp, and our president vowed to "drain the swamp". :lol:

Is that some British expression? Ive never heard it before. And don't know what it means.

It is a British expression but I'm not really sure where it cones from. I can only assume it's related to the fact that we call a toilet "the bog". I await correction.

There are many theories but noone knows for sure where it comes from or what "bog" relates to.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:02 pm

There's nothing standard about a bog.
It's a diverse ecosystem.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 1:47 am

I can't remember the actual explanation of the expression 'bog standard', but I remember it was explained in one episode of one of those back-to-the-past reality shows. Most likely 'Victorian Farm'.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2017, 8:22 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
@Voxish: people, who haven't any special talents/skills, could be described as bog standard.
Well..I guess this makes me bog standard too. My memory is crap, details bore me, and I am an emotional wreck but I rarely cry though. Even though I see feelings as failure to think. I've got to admit that I do have emotions, in fact... more than I can handle.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Why does every Aspie have to have a special interest, or be interested in systems? I don't have any special interest and I'm no systemiser.

Why can't aspies just be bog standard? We're not all geniuses. We're not all budding Chopins. A lot of us don't have meltdowns as soon as we tastes something we don't like/hear a loud noise. Actually, how can anyone have a meltdown if they eat somenting they've never liked?

I read what so-called experts say and I honestly think to myself that I'm not on the autistic spectrum. I don't have any special interests. I'm not skilled at anything, unless you count not washing pots, not hoovering upstairs, since March, as special skills. I'm a complete smeghead. I was heartbroken when my dad died and based on what I've read, about autism, I shouldn't have been, as aspies don't do emotions/empathy. I can understand tone of voice and can read people's faces.

Ergo, if you're like me, maybe you're not even on the spectrum, or you're just bog standard.

I don't have any special skills either nor am I good at math or any abstract stuff. I don't have meltdowns either over smells and taste and I don't have any of those sensory issues. I also don't have autism hearing or smell. My systematize score was below average for NT women. I also know tone of voice and can recognize something is wrong just by their faces.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:26 am

I have special interests, but no talents or skills (unless memorizing the entire Pokedex counts - I think the problem is that my special interests aren't anything that's actually useful in any way). I'm terrible at math and not good with technology. I used to have the stereotypical Aspie memory when I was a kid, but I think depression took that away from me - at least, I started having memory problems around the same time I first developed depression. Technically I'm more of a systemizer than an empathizer, according to online tests, but I don't score that highly on either. I'm decent at identifying tone of voice and facial expressions, and I'm actually more empathetic than the average person (I just don't express my emotions in the same way, and often don't know what to say to comfort someone or anything, which might give others the impression that I'm not). Seeing other people cry makes me cry too, and I will usually put other people's feelings ahead of my own, and often don't say anything for fear of saying the wrong thing and upsetting someone. I don't have meltdowns from eating food I don't like, but there are certain foods that I just can't force myself to swallow no matter how hard I try - I'll just end up gagging instead. I don't have meltdowns the instant I'm exposed to any sort of unpleasant sensory thing - it usually takes at least a few minutes, and oftentimes is the result of several things adding up over the course of a day. But in almost every other way (unless there's something else I'm forgetting), I'm pretty much a textbook Aspie, so I have no doubt that I really am on the spectrum.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:01 pm

Trueno wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Yes it just means ordinary, or maybe "ornery" would work better for Americans. The origin of the "bog" part is unknown, presumably the originator didn't like ordinary things and wanted to make the term pejorative.

To answer the OP's question, it's because ASD is atypical or unusual by definition, pretty much.

I think it's possible to have ASD without having "highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g, strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interest)" (DSM-V), as long as you satisfy 2 of the other criteria from that section.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

I've never heard of the term, bog standard before.

Update: I've looked up the term, bog standard and it means ordinary.

I don't want to be ordinary. I wasn't made to be ordinary. I was made to have fun and celebrate my special interests and differences. I was made to be colourful.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Why does every Aspie have to have a special interest, or be interested in systems? I don't have any special interest and I'm no systemiser.

Why can't aspies just be bog standard? We're not all geniuses. We're not all budding Chopins. A lot of us don't have meltdowns as soon as we tastes something we don't like/hear a loud noise. Actually, how can anyone have a meltdown if they eat somenting they've never liked?

I read what so-called experts say and I honestly think to myself that I'm not on the autistic spectrum. I don't have any special interests. I'm not skilled at anything, unless you count not washing pots, not hoovering upstairs, since March, as special skills. I'm a complete smeghead. I was heartbroken when my dad died and based on what I've read, about autism, I shouldn't have been, as aspies don't do emotions/empathy. I can understand tone of voice and can read people's faces.

Ergo, if you're like me, maybe you're not even on the spectrum, or you're just bog standard.

Either you fit the diagnostic criteria or you don't. If you don't, good for you. Have fun being a "Smeghead" (I hope that isn't related to smegma :( 8O ) I feel your points of reference on what classifies someone as autistic could be broadened and refreshed. Best of luck and kind regards. Shark

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:31 pm

Those on the spectrum are supposed to be bad drivers. That's one of the stereotypes.

Well, with me it all started when I was going on a ski trip with my dad and he asked me if I wanted to steer the car. He let me steer for like half a second and then took the wheel back. I kinda thought that was kinda cheesy because I didn't get a lot of time, but I acted happy. Anyway, mom and dad were divorced, so I went back to my mom's and told her my dad let me steer the car for like a second. This isn't what I intended, but my mom didn't like to be one upped and always wanted to be seen as this incredible parent, so when we were on the road she let me steer the car for like two minutes.

Overtime she let me steer the car for longer and longer. It all escalated until I was 10 years old and I steered (from the passenger's seat) the entire 2.5 hour drive from New Jersey to Pennsylvania to visit my grandparents. That included lane changes, turning around corners, parking the car to eat lunch, etc. Hey, I'm not saying that was a smart thing for a parent to let their child do, but there it is, it happened.

Anyway, I actually got BORED of steering the car after a couple of more years, and started to think it was uncool because I couldn't actually DRIVE the car. But today I can drive very well and have never had an accident. That's kinda amazing because when I was in my 20's, I would drive at very obscene speeds (I had a Ford SHO with a stick shift and 300 HP).

Point is, isn't that supposed to be impossible? Aren't I supposed to not be able to drive, or drive poorly? There's this hate website where it says that Aspie's can't drive well and can't merge with traffic. That's just crap.

Don't believe everything you read. Seriously!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:29 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Why can't aspies just be bog standard?
Well, if someone is completely bog standard in every way then they probably can't be an aspie.

Leeds_Demon wrote:
We're not all geniuses. We're not all budding Chopins. A lot of us don't have meltdowns as soon as we tastes something we don't like/hear a loud noise. Actually, how can anyone have a meltdown if they eat somenting they've never liked?

I'm not very skilled at anything either, and I am bad at the typical traits of tech and math. Although I had the occasional tantrum as a kid and have a flash temper, I've never had a meltdown. I have suffered the occasional shutdown in adult age though.

I was completely heartbroken by the deaths of my maternal grandparents and my dog, guinea pig and turtles, and in each case it took me a long time to recover and it only gets worse for every loss I suffer. My emotions have always been strong.

Even as a little kid I could interpret tone of voice. Facial expressions are a bit harder for me, but I have never been completely oblivious and although I can't always tell the exact expression, I usually get the general idea.

I am very sensitive to heat, and I easily gag if I chew on something I find icky (slimy foods, bone or sinew in my meat). That's the amount of my sensory issues. As much as I prefer quiet to noise as any introvert, the noise I really hate is all down to psychology. I don't like kids so al the noise they make annoy me. I once heard what I thought was a baby crying. Annoyed I thought that they should make it shut up. Then I listened more closely and realized it was the sound of a small dog. The sound immediately became a cute sound and I went "aww" when I heard it after did. Funnily enough, another relative felt the same way about the noise a bird made when they first thought it wasa kid. It wasn't about the sound, it was the perceived source.

The "experts" are wrong about a lot of things when it comes to us. According to them we don't get jokes, can't understand sarcasm, never understand or use idioms. None of that holds true for me. Even the idioms that aren't familiar or obvious to me, I usually get that they are idioms. We also aren't supposed to like fiction, but I love fiction and am easily bored with most non fiction. I don't hold most experts in high regard because they tend to hold little expertise.

There are plenty of us who aren't stereotypical aspies but we don't have autism any less. No one has all the traits.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765