Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/jim-carrey-were-nothing-rant

“As an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough into those characters, you realize your own character is pretty thin to begin with. You suddenly have this separation and go, “Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually. There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

I legitimately feel for this guy. I really do. I've been there. I've totally been there and pondered that.

We should use this as an opportunity to raise depression awareness.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:08 pm

shhhhh.....shhhhh.....you hear that?

that's the sound of unfettered, raw, 1000% wokeness...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:15 pm

Depression awareness? Let's review his ex-gf, Cathriona White's suicide note...

I would say she was depressed :cry:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm

Reminds me of Shia LaBeouf ...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Reminds me of Shia LaBeouf ...

Whatever happened to the Unknown Comic?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

Carrey must have picked up a book on nihilism in his local Beverley Hills bookstore

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/jim-carrey-were-nothing-rant

“As an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough into those characters, you realize your own character is pretty thin to begin with. You suddenly have this separation and go, “Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually. There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

I legitimately feel for this guy. I really do. I've been there. I've totally been there and pondered that.

We should use this as an opportunity to raise depression awareness.

This strengthens my theory that actors so often struggle with mental health problems because they have identity problems. They often have either a weak sense of identity, or a negative perspective of their identity. Even if they don't start out that way, I believe that for some actors, acting can work to destroy their own identity.

Another things which I think contributes to depression among actors is the fact that it's difficult being famous. People develop a false, non-mutual familiarity with actors. They may expect them to be similar to the characters they play, and also tend to expect them to always be friendly. I think it makes it difficult for the actor to live life as an ordinary person in the crowd, and often holes them into a perception, which must be very difficult for people who become actors because they themselves are very multi-faceted people.

A little off subject but interesting none the less:

Historically humanity has had a love hate relationship with actors. Today acting is considered a reasonable profession if one is successful at it, but since at least the time of ancient Rome, to perhaps into the 1800s, acting was considered to be an disreputable profession, particularly in ancient Rome. In fact, in ancient Rome, an actor couldn't be raped, because their idea of rape was not in the act itself, but the impact on one's honor, and actors were considered to have no honor. In ancient Rome, it was dishonorable to make a spectacle of one's self, and actors not only made spectacles of themselves, they did so exhibiting themselves in weak or shameful acts on stage.

Even in modern times, many actors have expressed regret at some of the things they have done in front of the camera.

FlubLubber
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2017, 11:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Carrey must have picked up a book on nihilism in his local Beverley Hills bookstore

Yeah...he's still human and clearly struggling with mental illness.

Celebrity or not, Carrey has faced a lot of adversity on his life, especially as a child. It is tough to see him in that interview.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:01 am

I like Jim as an actor (of course, I don't know him as a person). I feel bad for him, I think he struggles internally.

I also feel bad for Cathriona . . . .

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

Carrey is an anti-vaxxer, so he's right that *he* doesn't matter. Even his being Canadian doesn't matter to me.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 11:19 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Carrey is an anti-vaxxer, so he's right that *he* doesn't matter. Even his being Canadian doesn't matter to me.

Yeah, I know that he is an anti-vaxxer. People believe crazy things when they are going through psychological agony.

I don't think that we should be too harsh on this one. He's basically admitted that he is mentally ill.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
“Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually. There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

Umm... okay Jim. Is this supposed to be a breakthrough revelation?

The superficiality of ego and identity is the sort of thing you discuss with friends at age 17 while tripping on acid. It seems "deep" at the time, then you end up laughing about it later.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm

Syd wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
“Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually. There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

The superficiality of ego and identity is the sort of thing you discuss with friends at age 17 while tripping on acid. It seems "deep" at the time, then you end up laughing about it later.

Maybe it's a middle-age crisis thingy.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

Jim Carrey has always had a dark side. From things I've read, he's apparently always battled with some degree of depression.

I don't know when that exact quote is from, but bear in mind he also is now going through lawsuits from the family of the young woman he was dating who killed herself. She committed suicide leaving a note which referenced . . . . well, things involved with the relationship with him causing her to want to end her life. He's dealing with that plus the family. He's probably in a heavy place right now on top of already being a person with depression and issues.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:15 am

Turns out a major reason for her suicide was Jim Carrey's attitude for giving her an STD
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 178fe151c4

I would say Carrey's attitude about giving her the STD contributed significantly toward her depression and low self-esteem

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

Syd wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

You're lucky. I pondered these questions without acid long before high school. It's called psychosis and has nothing to do with depression (except that it can cause depression if untreated, as was the case with me.)