14 year old mistaken for drug dealer by cop

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:25 pm

Family: Teen with autism hurt after being detained by Buckeye officer

Quote:
On July 18, the boy, Connor Leibel, was forced to the ground by Officer David Grossman. During the incident, the boy suffered multiple scrapes to his back, arm and face as the two fell into a nearby tree.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm

He was not mistaken to be a drug dealer, but a drug user due to his odd behavior. When asked for his ID, the teen became defiant and turned away. Officer believed he witnessed a crime (drug use or someone under the influence) and investigated... Kinda of a sh***y situation, I believe this officer and many others are not properly trained in dealing with mentally ill, if at all. So mental illness probably never crossed the officers mind and was only acting on the teen's odd behavior and defiant attitude... A little late, but better then never. The agency will probably invest in proper training for better awareness after this incident, just as many agencies do after an incident.