NHS pleads guilty in epileptic autistics death

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:42 pm

NHS trust 'truly sorry' about death of teenager Connor Sparrowhawk

Quote:
An NHS trust has said it is “truly sorry” about the death of a teenager with epilepsy who drowned in a bath while in its care, after it admitted failings.

Southern Health trust pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety law in the case of Connor Sparrowhawk, who had a seizure and drowned in a bath in an NHS care unit in Oxford in 2013.

The 18-year-old’s death led to an independent inquiry discovering that the trust had failed to properly investigate the unexpected deaths of 1,454 patients with learning difficulties or mental health problems over a period of four years.

In the blogpost, Ryan wrote that the NHS trust had “blamed everyone but themselves” in the four years since Connor died. Shesaid: “Just imagine. A guilty plea from a trust who have forced us to fight every step of the beyond distressing way for accountability.”

A medical tribunal in Manchester heard last month that plans had been drawn up to check on Connor every 10 minutes because of his epilepsy. However, a month before his death the observations were reduced to only once an hour despite Connor recently biting his tongue, an indication of a seizure.

The teenager, who was affectionately nicknamed Laughing Boy, had epilepsy, autism and learning difficulties and was admitted to Slade House, a care unit run by Southern Health NHS foundation trust, on 19 March 2013. He was found unresponsive in the bath less than four months later, on 4 July.

The tribunal in Manchester found that Dr Valerie Murphy, the lead clinician responsible for Connor’s care, failed to carry out any risk assessments on him. Murphy, who now works in Ireland, could face being struck off when the tribunal considers possible sanctions in November.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

technolash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2017, 5:00 am

Probably a lack of care staff available. A big problem in the UK. Care for Autism/learning difficulties is not a good area in the UK and one that I feel will get worse.