Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2017, 2:04 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Underweight and stronger than I look, usually. I did go into BMI overweight territory for a year. I feel and look the best at the very top of my BMI healthy range. I can handle cold temperatures better, have more energy, and my mood stabilizes when I get good nutrition and stay active. I can also have bad nutrition occasionally without much worry. ;-)

BMI is not accurate, and I would refrain from using that as an accurate way to estimate body fat percentage, which it simply cannot do.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Underweight and stronger than I look, usually. I did go into BMI overweight territory for a year. I feel and look the best at the very top of my BMI healthy range. I can handle cold temperatures better, have more energy, and my mood stabilizes when I get good nutrition and stay active. I can also have bad nutrition occasionally without much worry. ;-)

BMI is not accurate, and I would refrain from using that as an accurate way to estimate body fat percentage, which it simply cannot do.

BMI is not measuring your body fat. Those are two different things. BMIs are very accurate but not for pregnant women and those who are body builders.

You can be in the normal BMI range and still be skinny fat. That means you have more body fat than muscle and that also isn't healthy either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2017, 5:49 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
had eating disorders as a teen, it just became a total obsession of mine and ruled my life.

20 years later after not having eating disorders but certainly obsessing over my weight at times and fluctuating down, and even further down, I discovered weight lifting and love it. In the gym 5 days a week, there is loads to learn (so I can obsess over that!) it makes me feel good about myself, makes me sleep really well and keeps my head on straight every day!

Weight lifting helped me get over my issues with food and weight as well. I used to be underweight but now I am well into the normal range with quite a lot of muscle. The only weight I obsess over these days is how much I can lift :) I feel the same way about how much it helps keep my head on every day. I'd go crazy without it.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 6:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

BMI is not measuring your body fat. Those are two different things. BMIs are very accurate but not for pregnant women and those who are body builders.

You can be in the normal BMI range and still be skinny fat. That means you have more body fat than muscle and that also isn't healthy either.

I could have a lot of muscle to fat ratios at my preferred BMI, but I meant the ones where I eat well and stay active. If I have healthy levels of both fat and muscle, I feel the best.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 12:40 am

I don't know about my bmi but I've got a normal collateral reading.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Definitely not accurate if people with too much body fat are still considered a "healthy weight" . And by contrast, people with low body fat are considered overweight or even obese according to a BMI. I thik a better estimate would be body measurements. It does vary by height, but men are obese at around 40 inch waist or more, and women at 35 inches.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 1:19 pm

I'm quite overweight and for me, it's because the foods that I can eat due to my texture issues are mostly things like pasta and bread. In my case, it's also a little bit of binge-eating when I'm stressed or overwhelmed too.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Definitely not accurate if people with too much body fat are still considered a "healthy weight" . And by contrast, people with low body fat are considered overweight or even obese according to a BMI. I thik a better estimate would be body measurements. It does vary by height, but men are obese at around 40 inch waist or more, and women at 35 inches.

BMI=Body Mass Index

BFP: Body Fat Percentage.

Both two different things. BMI is not measuring how much body fat you have. I used to have that misconception too until I joined r/fatlogic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

Quote:

And this is where I fall into :lol: .

I have an average BMI and I am not overweight, but I am certainly not physically fit either!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 4:07 am

I've always been slightly underweight.

And by "slightly underweight", I mean that I'm so underweight I don't even reach the minimum BMI I should.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 11:05 am

I've always been considered underweight even before I became vegan.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2017, 12:56 pm

Weight lifting seems to the only way to really combat the muscle to fat ratio. I have been doing it for a few years, and even though I am still flabby, I am completely different in composition and structure.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2017, 12:59 pm

League_Girl wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

BMI=Body Mass Index

BFP: Body Fat Percentage.

Both two different things. BMI is not measuring how much body fat you have. I used to have that misconception too until I joined r/fatlogic.

But that was my point. Body fat percentage is more related to health, so why is BMI used as the litmus test for obesity? If it can't determine the body fat vs muscle ratio. It may even give people a false sense of security .

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 9:21 pm

I have about an 18 BMI. My anorexic friend literally has higher than that (don't tell her :lol: ). I walk about twenty miles a day.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:11 am

I was underweight as a child but now I'm overweight. I have allot of food issues. When I was 16 I would only eat green beans. Now I will not eat any animal muscle or any part of an animal. I like sweets and pasta, so I guess that's why my weight is higher than recommended.

- Edgar Allan Poe -