Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 4:12 pm

My ideal weight is 140 lbs. I also have body dysmorphia so I don't like the size of my body so I think i am always fat and refuse to weigh that much. Telling me i am too thin even though my BMI is normal makes me feel I am supposed to be big.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
What I notice usually (there are ALWAYS exceptions), is that in general, people in autism spectrum disorders tend to either be overweight or underweight, but not commonly "ideal" weight. I know that is not always the case. But its just I notice from watching quite a few online or people I encounter. I am one of those prone to be overweight, yet kind of muscular, which is not common among the autism spectrum. Does this seem to be related to it, or just a coincidence?

Yep, I am indeed overweight, basically because of a sweet tooth and sedentary job. However, I come from a long line of overweight non-Aspies on my fathers' side, and average weight Aspies on my mothers', so I'm not sure there's a causal link in my family at least. I am sure, however, that an obsession with an unhealthy food could be a problem for those of us on the spectrum.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

Below average weight and lots of walking.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:12 pm

currently at around the lower healthy weight for this height... the high end would be about 193 pounds. currently weigh 178 while quite active... so most of it’s converted to muscle, giving a lighter appearance than the scale suggests.

been trying to get to 190, in thinking to try boxing or kickboxing to pass time throughout university... up to 200 is cruiser weight, and anything higher would be a disadvantage as it’d be quite difficult to get much heavier with this metabolism, and people of heavyweight class don’t typically hug the rail, but put on another fifty pounds or so. been trying to place more muscle in the legs and midsection though... so it’s taking longer than expected with the scale only inching about one to two pounds per month.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:49 pm

Being really petite, I am underweight. How I eat plays into this...I eat selectively.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

I was very underweight most of my life. Recently I finally gained a little and I am, just barely, in a normal bmi :D

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 10:45 pm

I think I'm technically underweight (5' 5.5" and about 105 pounds), but I don't feel any negative effects from it that I'm aware of - I don't think I'm significantly underweight since it doesn't seem to be affecting my health. This is despite eating a fair amount of junk/unhealthy food and not getting heaps of exercise. However, I do have a smaller appetite than most people - I can't eat as much as it seems most people do in one sitting, and do better eating smaller amounts three or four times a day instead of two or three big meals a day. I reach a point where I can't force myself to swallow any more no matter how hard I try, but then I'm hungry again a couple hours before it's time for the next meal.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 11:42 pm

I've consistently had eating problems. Hunger doesn't feel that bad honestly. It's awful though because I struggle to remember to eat.
Still a dexterous person. I exercise in the weekends.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 2:40 am

had eating disorders as a teen, it just became a total obsession of mine and ruled my life.

20 years later after not having eating disorders but certainly obsessing over my weight at times and fluctuating down, and even further down, I discovered weight lifting and love it. In the gym 5 days a week, there is loads to learn (so I can obsess over that!) it makes me feel good about myself, makes me sleep really well and keeps my head on straight every day!

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:13 am

^^^ Best of luck with all the gym work, Biscuitman (great name, by the way).
I also had eating disorders in my teens, after being a fat kid. I've also had Crohns disease for 45 years... eating tends to make me unwell, so I have to creep up on it to maintain my weight (that means eating little and often).

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:44 am

I've been overweight for a good part of my life. I also love to eat. I'm the greenest and roundest of loves.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:29 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
What I notice usually (there are ALWAYS exceptions), is that in general, people in autism spectrum disorders tend to either be overweight or underweight, but not commonly "ideal" weight. I know that is not always the case. But its just I notice from watching quite a few online or people I encounter. I am one of those prone to be overweight, yet kind of muscular, which is not common among the autism spectrum. Does this seem to be related to it, or just a coincidence?

At the 2015 IMFAR International Meeting for Autism Research conference, a statistician from Kaiser Permanente discussed how autists are generally overweight, though not too much so. This knowledge came from surveying the anonymized health records of thousands of patients in the Kaiser Permanente health network.

My BMI is 18.4 (underweight), but involves higher health risks than normal. My weight is the result of being the primary caregiver for my 85-year-old mother and doing essentially 16-hour days helping her (think aerobics 24/7/365).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:39 pm

I used to be chubby when I was younger, then later I was really skinny... Now I am average weight because of medication that helps my appetite.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 20, 2017)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

I've always had the tendency towards chubbiness.

I was chubby as a child, sort of thin as an adolescent and young adult. Then I got pretty chubby for a while until my mid-30's, when I lost quite a bit of weight.

Kept if off until my 40's. I've been 175-185 lbs since, at 5 foot 5.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:20 am

Up until mid-2013 I was borderline underweight. I used to eat what I wanted whenever I wanted without a thought. Then came Seroquel. I gained 30 kgs and now I am definitely overweight. I haven't been able to lose any of it either.

A friend of mine has invited me to come along with her to a gym next week. I'm looking forward to it.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2017, 2:04 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Underweight and stronger than I look, usually. I did go into BMI overweight territory for a year. I feel and look the best at the very top of my BMI healthy range. I can handle cold temperatures better, have more energy, and my mood stabilizes when I get good nutrition and stay active. I can also have bad nutrition occasionally without much worry. ;-)

BMI is not accurate, and I would refrain from using that as an accurate way to estimate body fat percentage, which it simply cannot do.