Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

autism1022
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

hello need some kind support im having dentist surgery done on the 28th there doing a sedative filling a cleaning, pulling a tooth maybe more i am a little scared because there using liquid versed and laughing gas i will be strapped down too for my safety on a rainbow papoose board what should i wear what should i expect can you please try and explain and will i be ok im very scared last time any advice or opinion i do have autism and special needs please offer me some support i need it thank you

RainMom2015
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

Hello.. I know this seems scary to you, no one likes to go to the dentist ! ! You'll be fine.. I promise.. You asked what to wear, I say wear your favorite outfit. Bring along something that calms you down, i.e. stuff animal.. when ever I take my daughter to the dentist, she always brings her headphones and listens to music she likes.. that really seems to keep her calm. let us know how it goes.. :)

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 7:55 pm

I had laughing gas and some sort of general anesthetic (not sure what kind) when I had my wisdom teeth out. The worst part for me was getting the needle for the general anesthetic in. I remember absolutely nothing from about two seconds after that to waking up afterward. The pain afterward wasn't too bad for me. That's the only dental work besides a routine cleaning I've had done, I don't know how much having a tooth pulled or a cavity filled may or may not hurt afterward. But I had no ill effects from the anesthetic - I just had to spend a little time (maybe fifteen minutes or so) there after I woke up for it to wear off enough that they could send me home. I had trouble focusing my eyes on things for a little bit, but it wore off by the time I was sent home.

I don't think it should really matter much what you wear - wear whatever you'd like to. I brought my iPod and listened to my favorite music, which helped me relax a bit. If you have an item that helps comfort you (for example, I have a stuffed fox with very soft fur), bring that, too. It also helps if you have someone you trust, like a parent or a friend, with you. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

beady
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

The laughing gas will make you pretty relaxed and take away a lot of your anxiety.
I haven't had liquid versed but have seen it used. It makes you forget the pain and may also put you to sleep so that you may not be aware at all of the whole procedure. It sounds like the dentist is trying to take good care of you and is making sure you are not in any pain. Just tell the dentist and the technicians if you are in any pain at all. They will help.
Afterwards your mouth will hurt a bit, like a headache if you have ever had one of those, and you will probably have some medication to take to help with the pain. That will probably be all gone in a day or two or less. Your mouth will feel funny where the tooth is taken out but you will get used to it in a couple days. Injuries in the mouth heal very quickly.