finding a dragon quest or final fantasy game

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 7:50 pm

I've lost count how many times I've completed final fantasy X

I found the first final fantasy too simplistic in regards to gameplay. I know it was very ahead for its time

what dragon quest/final fantasy games would you recommend to me?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:52 am

Final Fantasy 6, 7, and 12.

6 is fun, relatively simple and straightforward, with a great ensemble cast of characters and fun story. The thing I like most about it is that it doesn't take itself too seriously and it is equal parts whimsical and dark in it's storytelling.

7 is also simplistic in its game play systems, and it has a good setting and interesting comic book styled storyline. I think it slightly errs on the side of taking itself too seriously and getting overly convoluted, but it's good fun. It's graphics are probably the most dated out of all the games though.

12 I thought was a good step in making the series more modern. The game play is great and the characters and story are decent if very derivative - all Final Fantasy games have tended to take inspiration from Star Wars but none more heavily lifts themes and motifs than 12. It still looks great today and probably has the best art style of all the modern games in the series - I'm not a fan of Nomura''s hodgepodge of oversized zippers and belt buckles and garish colour schemes. The combat is fun, if a little overly reliant on preexisting Final Fantasy mechanics - other games building on this combat such as Dragon Age Origins or Xenoblade Chronicles made much more of the combat by not having to include so much legacy design.

Dargon Quest 8 I love more than any of these though. It brings what I love most about my favorite old school JRPGs, charm and whimsy, to a modern 3D engine that still looks great today thanks to its cell shaded visuals. Great visuals, music, voice acting and simple but engaging combat.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:08 am

There isn't a Dragon Quest game I wouldn't recommend, but why not jump into one of the two most recent entries in the series, Dragon Quest VII Fragments of the forgotten past and Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the cursed king.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 8:23 am

Well, it depends on what consoles you have, and what you're willing to spend (unless you're okay with emulation).

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for the 3DS are probably going to be the most affordable right now. 9 for the DS might still be available, they had a little bit of a surplus on that game. I got copies of the 4 and 5 remakes for DS from the Square Enix online store, maybe you could keep an eye there. You can set it up so they email you when they get something you want in stock.

But if money is no object, the third game is my personal all-time favorite. The remake for GBC is really great, with a ton of bonus features. If you don't want to spoil the story, you might want to play the first two games first (they also have awesome GBC remakes), but I don't know if they would be too dated for your tastes.

FWIW, the Final Fantasy remake in Dawn of Souls has an easy mode (on by default in the GBA port) if you just want to smash through the game really quickly. It really cuts down on a lot of the grinding.

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

hmmm final fantasy and dragon quest.. that games are very nice.

except that i dont like dragon quest that much. i like 8 but i tried to replay and its so repetitive. i tried 9 on ds and its was cool but i droped. about fin al fantasy, you can play chrono trigger thats is not a final fantasy but many staff that worked on final fantasy made that game. you can play ff1 remake which is nice, ff4 complete edition on psp. if you like X maybe you will like XIII cause if has the same corridors that ff10 has. ff7 story is good but graphics make weird to play nowadays. maybe you can try crisis core ff7, which is the prequel, before you try 7. i guess this is it.

Special Interest: memes

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

If you do some reading first I'd suggest Final Fantasy VIII. Its battle system is a little different from other Final Fantasy games. Some people hated it, some people loved it.