Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2017, 3:27 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I embrace it----I let my freak flag fly ('cept, when working)----I don't care what anyone thinks of me.....

That's awesome. Thanks for the reply :)

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 4:10 pm

[/quote]Thanks for the post. So you partially embrace your Autism on a personal level, if I understood. What about publicly; are you "out" or still "in the closet", so to speak? Do you hide your autistic traits around others, when possible?[/quote]

That's sorta hard to answer because I didn't find out I was autistic until a few years ago and than denied it until I finally realized I was correctly diagnosed. For some reason it just became obvious to me, and I could really recognize the signs.

But before I knew I was, I worked to adapt other behaviors to "hide" my autism. It's just that I wasn't hiding "autism", I was hiding social awkwardness, I was hiding shyness, basically I was adapting to what was expected of me by society. So by adapting, that adaptation became my actual "me" or the person I am today. So I don't think I'm hiding any longer so much as just acting the way I've taught myself to act. But I do think people may view me as shy still, or weird, or as somebody who "thinks different". So I'm not exactly "in the closet", it's just that I act non-autistic out of habit.

Hope that makes sense.