Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 11:50 pm

I find myself staying up late doing homework or going overtime at work. I dislike vacations, mostly because of familial interactions, and enjoy having a structured day. Ironically I am going into journalism, so there's not much structure, but I hope this makes sense.
Are you a workaholic?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:37 am

I'm a workaholic. I've always got to be working on something. I'm also happiest when I'm at work. I have lots of arts and crafts on the go. I could be working on stuff from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed if time would allow me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

Workaholic? Me? No way. Too much pressure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

If I were a workaholic, I would have accomplished a lot more in my life.

I'm sort of the lazy type.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:20 am

I tend to think you are born with a finite reserve of energy... a bit like a fuel tank. So I believe in conserving as much energy as possible.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 10:46 am

I like to be doing something all the time, but saying that it doesn't mean that I want to be doing everything at a million miles an hour.

I've slowed down a lot after my diagnosis though.....

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2017, 11:13 am

Trueno wrote:
I tend to think you are born with a finite reserve of energy... a bit like a fuel tank. So I believe in conserving as much energy as possible.

You are absolutely correct, totally. I am a workaholic because that's what my autism want me to be. I can not cope with half-finished tasks and the very thought not completing what I had hoped to get finished totally stresses me out. Now like a bunch of us sleeping is not my forte, never was, never will be. Also like many, many autistic people, my head is full of stuff and never stops, so I stop sleeping at all. Add this heady mix together along with the usual background level of aspie anxiety, social communication, and sensory overloads and you have a time bomb just waiting to go off.

If I do not allow myself enough spoons, borrow too many from the next day and I am going to make myself ill. I have been warned and warned and warned, and still, I do it, I am compelled to, well not anymore. I have just started my dream job with a well-known UK autism charity after being out sick and losing my last job with anxiety and foolishly disclosing I am on the spectrum.

I intend to look after myself this time

BBC: Radio 4

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 12:01 pm

I am a workaholic. I work 7 days a week. On the weekdays I get up, go to the barn, spend two hours cleaning stalls, dunk my head in water, and then go to my 9-5 job and often take work home. On the weekends I work at the fam from 9-7. Very very little down time.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

Trueno wrote:

The man and woman who own the barn where I work part time work from sunup to sundown. They are 80 and 75 respectively. The saddle and unsaddle horses, push wheelbarrows, and throw bails of hay around.

My mother is 73. She is always kayaking, out golfing, on ladders doing home improvements (I don't like this) and even took a belly dancing class recently. She is doing fantastic for her age.

These people are an inspiration to me. I believe a life of activity leads to longevity. Hard work is healthy. But you have to take care of your body.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2017, 12:25 pm

soloha wrote:
I am a workaholic. I work 7 days a week. On the weekdays I get up, go to the barn, spend two hours cleaning stalls, dunk my head in water, and then go to my 9-5 job and often take work home. On the weekends I work at the fam from 9-7. Very very little down time.

Good for you, I can't do that.

BBC: Radio 4

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 1:06 pm

Voxish wrote:
soloha wrote:

Good for you, I can't do that.

I'm not sure its a good thing. Just can't figure out how to break out of it right now. The fact that one job is mental and another physical and deals with animals helps though.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

Until I got fired in 2011, I would work anywhere between 15 and 96 hours per week, depending on the number of jobs I'd be working at the time.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

I never thought of myself as a workaholic. I do two jobs so I work 7 days a week and I cycle 100 miles a week and work from 5 am to 5 pm. But I don't really give much thought to it really.

I suppose if I won the jackpot on the lottery then I would still feel compelled to work. So maybe there's your answer.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 2:29 pm

If I'm a workaholic, I've done an excellent job overcoming my addiction. :lol: :oops: