My 50’s were crazy, what are my 60’s going to be like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:57 am

During my 50’s I was diagnosed with Aspergers right as they were changing it to Autism Spectrum Disorder, had half my tongue removed twice due to cancer, had a stroke, lost some of my hearing due to another syndrome Ramsey Hunt, and my dad died.

I hope my 60’s are not as crazy I am going to need them to deal with what happened in my 50’s.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:40 am

Yes, I hear you.
Sometimes everything is thrown at you all at once.
Think you just have to take each day as it comes.
I've had a bad couple of years as well but there's been moments of pure joy mixed in amongst it too.
Cling to the joy, give the fear the cold shoulder.

Much love. :heart:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 5:51 am

My 50s are being probably the worst decade of my life, due specifically to the set of circumstances I'm in, in which I currently have effectively no alternative options.

My life is worse now than it has been in the past, again only because of very specific situations, not because this might happen to anyone just for being 50-something. Most people at this age have arrived at improved living on many levels, not worse. It's a long story with what happened to me.

I don't even want to think about my 60s. I won't even be able to officially retire until 67, but the way things are going, by the time I reach that age the government will most likely have raised it AGAIN -- they are doing this dirty deed on current generations just reaching the age they used to have as retirement age. There's every possibility my retirement age will be 72. My dad DIED at 72. Theoretically I could be dead and never have seen a retirement.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:11 am

The sixties were far better than my fifties, from turning 60 until now (I turned 70 this month) things just got better and better, despite some health issues and surgeries along the way. I'm just glad I'm still here!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

B19 wrote:
I'm just glad I'm still here!
That is it. If I am still here then there is a chance no matter how small the odds might seem.

I am not an astrology believer but thier are some Virgo traits that overlap with autism ones.

Virgo personality traits

Virgo is the perfectionist of the zodiac, typically professional (outwardly calm, reserved and precise) while seeking to improve any process that they are involved in. If a Virgo sets out to do something they typically don't rest until it's done very (very!) well.

Virgos like details, facts, lists, organization (bringing order from chaos). They are objective, intelligent, refined and quick witted. In relationships their serious and subtle demeanor often makes them tantalizingly sexy and provocative. Virgos enjoy mental stimulation and while outwardly calm they are typically always inwardly active and often have trouble relaxing. The Virgo need for perfection often extends to a need for efficiency. This can manifest in all life areas such as being frugal (efficient with money) and preferring 'productive' (efficient with time) leisure activities.

Best Virgo traits and characteristics:

Intelligent
Analytical
Precise
Introvert
Intense
Sensible
Serious
Practical
Realistic
Loyal
Responsible
Down to earth
Cautious
Patient
Self disciplined
Dependable
Flexible
Adaptable
Balanced
Curious

[Just for you (and me, tee hee) - take a bow APOM :) - many of us must have noticed your balance :)]

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:59 am

I'm not EVEN "glad I'm still here."

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 7:06 am

I'm glad your here.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:26 am

I am glad the Bird is still flying.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

Virgo traits:

Denis Istomin is a Virgo (September 7) and these traits describe him well. He's calm, composed, yet very interested in doing things well. He also has a good sense of humor.

riss01
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

I agree with many of the contributors. I am nearly 59 years old and my fifties have been the worst decade of my life. I do hope that my sixties are better. I think that I carried on thinking that I was normal and all the social isolation problems and bullying difficulties at work would disappear with just one more 'push'; a different job, rearrange my life, etc. I didn't understand AS and my background is that my family think of anything like AS as malingering - typical of many people who seem unable to understand about any difficulty with mental processes. So, took on things that, in retrospect, were far too challenging for me.

I went for a second relationship with a girl who I thought had an understanding of me, turns out that she was as lost as me. I think she is on the spectrum. The upshot is that we have had 2 wonderful children but my AS caused all the usual problems with the relationship and we split apart after 11 years together. She took the children and we live apart - only 4 miles apart but, she is so bitter that she is attempting to ensure that the children have no contact with me. My partner was 20 years younger than me and our children are young (9 and 7). I didn't understand what love is until I had my children - now being parted from them is a cause of acute despair.

Perhaps, given time, my children and I will be reunited. Perhaps, I'll never see them again and die an unhappy and deeply unfulfilled man.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 6:12 am

Sorry for the late return to this thread -- just wanted to say to B19 and ASpartOfMe -- thank you both for saying that, that touched me.