Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2017, 2:57 am

Post darker stuff such as these:

This dude was on a a trip and made a bargain with his god that he'd sacrifice the first living thing he saw when he got back home ( a really dark version of Beauty and The Beast)

Daughter: Oh Daddy, you're home! (runs to hug him)
Father: You shouldn't have done that. I'd rather it was the dog. Now I'm gonna have to kill you but not yet.
Daughter: So I can go into the hills with my friends? But don't worry, Daddy - I won't even think about running away. You know best so you can kill me when I get back (sobs).

The Grumpy Prophet

Was walking in the woods and some boys annoyed him...
Boys: Hey, Baldy, Baldy
Prophet: You snivelling brats. May bears come from the forest and tear you to pieces!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Pageognat
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2017, 1:21 pm

All of those stories make sense within their own contexts, just so you know. To comments on the examples you gave, Jephthah (the judge who sacrificed his daughter) was presented within the context of the narrative as being in the wrong. His story was to illustrate Israel's need for a king and a centralized government, because at that time "Israel had no king, and each man did what was right in his own eyes." All of the judges, including Jephthah, were portrayed with at least one damning character flaw to show that Israel needed a king and not just temporary judges.

As for the other story, the "boys" could have been as old as 18, and were probably going to kill the prophet if he hadn't acted first.

But, to continue the topic, the most inexplicable Bible story I can thing of is Joshua stopping the sun and moon in the sky to provide an extra 24 hours of daylight. It's presentation of God's absolute power is stunning, especially given that it was recorded at a time when most miracles at least had plausible naturalistic explanations.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:17 pm

I find the commandments of God to the Hebrews in books such as Genesis, Kings, and Judges in the Old Testament to commit genocide on the whole Canaanite population, regardless of age or sex, to be incomprehensible.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2017, 1:47 am

You are right. Killing goes against the Ten Commandments.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:14 am

envirozentinel wrote:
You are right. Killing goes against the Ten Commandments.

That, and the God of later Judaism and of Christianity is so different from the monster demanding worship in the early Old Testament.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:37 am

When Jesus compared a woman to a dog.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I find the commandments of God to the Hebrews in books such as Genesis, Kings, and Judges in the Old Testament to commit genocide on the whole Canaanite population, regardless of age or sex, to be incomprehensible.

Moshe said to the Israelites this the Lord Commands -- wipe out the Amalekite, root and branch, man, woman and children. I am happy to say the Israelites disobeyed this commandment.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:05 am

Lot tossing his daughters out to be gang raped.
Animal sacrifice,all those poor lambs,bullocks and doves.
Killing all those innocent first born in Egypt.
Such a blood thirsty diety.

CharlesRooster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2017, 11:17 am

Deut. 25:11
"When two men are fighting and the wife of one of them intervenes to drag her husband clear of his opponent, if she puts out her hand and catches hold of the man by his privates, you must cut off her hand and show her no mercy."
I feel like this one is oddly specific.

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2017, 5:03 pm

God knows the future.

Kind Regards & Much Love, Nay.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2017, 5:18 pm

Just because you don't understand something in the bible doesn't mean that theres no answer or explanation for it. Look at the evidence in your life, count your blessings even if your not a Christian. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Ask yourself, are you healthy? Do you have a nice comfortable bed? Have you got food and water? Have you got access to a bible, because a lot of people don't? Have you had a wash today? Do you have clothing? And if you have all this and your not a Christian, well it shows that God really does love you and wants you. So don't you think you should thank Him.

Much Love, Nay :heart: .

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:59 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Moshe said to the Israelites this the Lord Commands -- wipe out the Amalekite, root and branch, man, woman and children. I am happy to say the Israelites disobeyed this commandment.

Me, too.
But as I remember, there were other incidents of genocide - especially when there was a crazy holy man claiming to get messages directly from God - that were conducted when the Children of Israel returned from Egypt. That, and after the Babylonian captivity, there was one nutso, Phineas, who went around killing Israelites who had mixed with Babylonians and others (there was a Neo-Nazi terrorist group, who had called themselves the Phineas Brotherhood, who had robbed a bank in my old neighborhood years ago).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:22 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Post darker stuff such as these:

This dude was on a a trip and made a bargain with his god that he'd sacrifice the first living thing he saw when he got back home ( a really dark version of Beauty and The Beast)

Daughter: Oh Daddy, you're home! (runs to hug him)
Father: You shouldn't have done that. I'd rather it was the dog. Now I'm gonna have to kill you but not yet.
Daughter: So I can go into the hills with my friends? But don't worry, Daddy - I won't even think about running away. You know best so you can kill me when I get back (sobs).

What really got me about this - Jephthah's daughter was a story of both a) human sacrifice being wrong and b) sacrificing a fellow Israelite being doubly wrong. Yeah, the mass slaughters in Numbers and Joshua were ugly, morally questionable to the nth degree but so far we have some kind of lens on the issue.

Enter the soap-opera saga of Saul, David, and Absolem where various factions of Israelites are killing eachother in favor of one or the other and God seems strangely silent - only to take enough offense to kill 70,000 people when David decides to take a census.

How's THAT for internal consistency!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 8:42 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Killing goes against the Ten Commandments.

Not true. The commandment there deals with murder, not killing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 2:37 pm

leejosepho wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Killing goes against the Ten Commandments.

Not true. The commandment there deals with murder, not killing.

But isn't the taking of the lives of noncombatants wrongs, as they are not actively involved in trying to kill you? Hence the mass murder of women, children, and those men unable to fight is wrong.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
...isn't the taking of the lives of noncombatants wrongs...the mass murder of women, children, and those men unable to fight...

I was meaning to distinguish between murder and killing in a civil setting such as where an executioner might rightly-and-justly kill a murderer as ordered by an authorized judicial system.

Certainly the murder of non-combatants is wrong, and even when soldiers have been ordered to do so. However, that would not be the case where the Creator might have ordered the killing of some of His own creatures.