Who here remembers needing to have the CD in the computer ev

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm

I remember this, I also remember how happy I was to finally have an HD large enough I could keep images of my favourite games on the hard drive to run as a virtual CD/DVD drive.

I also remember no-CD hacks and similar.

I also remember Diablo yelling at me that I couldn't install it if I didn't have a Pentium 90 or higher, but it would then proceed to install and ran fine on my overclocked 486DX/2 66 (pushing 120 or 133 MHz before I retired it). :twisted:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2017, 6:01 am

The absolute worst of this is PS4 games (maybe Xbox One too?) requiring the disk in the system despite installing the entire game to the hard drive. I suppose the disk check is necessary for people who want to take the disk to a friend's console without allowing them to essentially pirate the game. Still, hard drive reads are so much faster than Blu-ray reads, so it makes a lot of sense to require a drive for a better baseline to work with.

One BIG problem is that developers take the Blu-ray capacity for granted and will fill their games with pre-rendered in-engine videos to mask loading times and/or reduce QA time spent. As a result games come in at huge sizes. Recently I downloaded a 40GB game that unpacked to 60GB on the drive. Idtech games are infamous for being massive on account of megatextures: DOOM is 78GB on the disk. It definitely adds up, my 3TB drive is practically full from games alone.

Still. I don't have any fond memories of installing off the disk, inputting keys, downloading patches from third-party sites with queues for downloads...

Ennui0001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2017, 11:11 am

My husband and I still laugh about the time I told him that if he kept playing EverQuest that day I was going to "whip the disc out the window" because I didn't know it didn't need the disc/was on the hard drive. We had been dating for a year or less and I didn't want to compete with a game, no matter how cool it was. I have always been a gamer but the dawn of online RPGs was something altogether different than my console gaming.
The only logical solution was for me to starting playing too. :D

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2017, 6:55 pm

Ennui0001 wrote:
My husband and I still laugh about the time I told him that if he kept playing EverQuest that day I was going to "whip the disc out the window" because I didn't know it didn't need the disc/was on the hard drive. We had been dating for a year or less and I didn't want to compete with a game, no matter how cool it was. I have always been a gamer but the dawn of online RPGs was something altogether different than my console gaming.
The only logical solution was for me to starting playing too. :D

Does Everquest even exist, now, as a thing you can play online? Everquest 2 seems like some ancient thing at this point (and to be fair, it barely deserved to exist in the first place)

Disks are the worst, and digital distribution is a superior system. It's a shame, though, that the system is tied to publishers and companies like Valve who make all of their money from the system. Remember when Valve made games?

Relatively ethical distributors like GOG are a start, but I feel like a co-operative distributor should be the future.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 8:09 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Does Everquest even exist, now, as a thing you can play online?

Yep. You can play it for free* now.

There are also fan-run servers. I tried playing one for a little bit that tries to recreate the game from 1999 or so, but I'm quite certain that it isn't the game for me.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 5:02 pm

NewTime wrote:
Who here remembers needing to have the CD in the computer every time you wanted to play a computer game? I remember as a child every time I wanted to play a certain computer game, I had to have the CD in the computer. If the CD for the game wasn't in the computer, you couldn't play the game.

Pfft. I've been using CD-Cracks since 2001. I ain't puttin' no disk in the drive every time. F-that. That just means every time you put it in, you have a chance of scratching the CD every time. No thanks. Daemon Tools has been around since 1998, been using it ever since. The whole needing a cd in the drive was just some foolish anti-piracy thing that never truly worked because people just used cracks. Not to mention so many people just torrent most of them anyway, it's no surprise CD's are becoming obsolete now. Even though I prefer having the CD than having a digital download (it just takes up space and I'm not re-downloading it over & over) and I'd just keep the cd in the case while I installed a crack.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 6:20 am

I vaguely remember my dad using cassette tapes for programming before the floppy disks were out. :scratch:

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 10:58 am

Remember? I have such a game (Roller Coaster Tycoon 2) in my desktops disc drive right now. :)

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Who remembers when if you wanted to play a game you had to type it in from a book or a magazine.

I do! Loved doing that as a kid. I had a book of games that you could programme and then play. I miss doing that sometimes.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2017, 11:01 pm

I never played comp games much but I remember that problem. I sometimes copied the CD onto my hardrive & then created a virtual DVD drive & put the game onto that so I wouldn't need to insert the disk to play the game.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 2:45 am

I lost a lot of CDs. :oops:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:12 am

nick007 wrote:
I sometimes copied the CD onto my hardrive & then created a virtual DVD drive & put the game onto that so I wouldn't need to insert the disk to play the game.

That's how GoG does it >_< It's kind of messy though, I'd rather just burn a disc and keep my HDD clean(er).

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:59 am

Trueno wrote:
Had an Atari. I remember upgrading the RAM TO 1MB... then I really was away. I used to play "Knights of the Sky" for hours on end.

Embarrassing edit... it wasn't even a CD, it was a floppy disc... oops!

Ah, a fellow ST man. I still use an ST to this day (4MB STe) with a hard drive emulator and an SD card full of hard disk adapted games.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

I remember waiting about 40 minutes for The Hobbit to load on cassette on the C64 and then having exactly the same gaming experience every time I played it (never could escape those bulbous eyes on the forest road). Still, if I could get hold of that game on an emulator I would happily play it.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 12:39 pm

I remember and miss those days. DOS was my best friend at the time!

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2018, 9:44 am

I had an Amiga when I was a kid and one of my favourite games had something like 14 floppy disks. You get quite far in the story and it'd go something like this;

'Insert Disk 6'
*inserts disk 6*
'Insert Disk 4'
*inserts disk 4*
'Insert Disk 1'
*inserts disk 1*
'Insert Disk 2'
*inserts disk 2*
'Insert Disk 6'
*inserts disk 6*
'Disk Not Recognised. Please Insert Disk 6'

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!! !

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!