I'm Not An Aspie. I Lied During My Assessment.

Page 3 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:56 pm

MagicKnight wrote:

Also, I find curious why people who aren't Asperger's (and I'm not referring to the OP, sorry OP) suddenly want to become perceived as one. Baffles me. There's a truck load of problems with regards to being an aspie. There are really zero benefits, except when one is a savant type, which most of us aren't but anyway a savant is genuinely good at one specific thing while failing at anything else.

When I say I find it curious, I mean it. I really would like to know why.

To have an excuse to say whatever they want?

To have an excuse to be a jerk? To be an ass?

To have an excuse to be weird and different?

These are just my guesses. I actually knew someone online who used AS just to not care about my feelings and to harass me and he got worse and worse after deciding he had it. Yes this is why the aspie self diagnoses have a bad name. Even though those with true AS can also use it as an excuse too to be a jerk. I recently saw someone posting online about their boyfriend being diagnosed with it and got worse so he was using it to rape her and sexually assault her and then saying he has AS and he "warned her" and other aspies there were telling her that wasn't AS and he is just being a creep and she needed to get out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm

RikMayall wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I don't think anyone knows what is going on in this thread. I don't know either, but my guess is that the OP feels guilty and is in denial about their diagnosis. I don't believe they are doing this for attention, and I actually think they do have autism. That being said, the OP is doing the typical aspie thing of obsessing over one or two specific symptoms. It kind of goes along with the confirmation bias. The one or two traits (or even more than that!) they don't have are fixated on and the OP literally convinces themself that they cannot possibly have an autistic spectrum disorder. This is what happens with me on a daily basis :roll: (not about ASD, but about other disorders), but this is just my guess.

Detailed and insightful.

Something to think on and consider rather than dismiss based on a bias that should not apply here.

Care to name the folks who did that? :twisted:

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

@ OP: What changed? Why are coming out with this information, right now? Is it because you can't relate to most aspies in this forum that you start to question your diagnosis, or did you find new information that better explains your condition?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

I'm noticing the OP has not been back to the thread. This is not always but can often be the mark of a troll attempt. Not that I'm accusing the OP of being a troll, just saying. . . I wouldn't be the first one to think someone is just trying to get attention.

We don't know what's going on with the OP. And she says her diagnosis was 9 years ago. That's a really long time to suddenly start wanting to declare you lied.

Perhaps she did get caught up in reading about behaviors and stereotypes and felt like she can't be on the spectrum.
That's no basis upon which to question oneself or a professional diagnosis, not that they are foolproof.

Bottom line if the OP is reading this and if she is genuine in her concerns:

The stereotypes are only that, stereotypes based on stuff that happens but not everyone even is.

Even if she really believes she lied or faked during her diagnosis, there's a chance that she's still on the spectrum and her diagnostician saw that despite everything.

Alternatively, even if she faked successfully and she's not on the spectrum. . . .well I don't know.

And if she's faking all of it just to shock people here, well, this place has seen it all so it's really just another day on WP.

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

@Birdinflight: I'm not trolling. I don't exhibit many of the behaviours/quirks that Aspies have. I'm not any good with logic. I'm not talented, unless you count not tidying up/cleaning as a talent.

People, on the autistic spectrum are supposed to have perfect pitch; I can't play a musical instrument, or write music. I don't read books - if I see something mentioned on one page and then see it mentioned later, I have to find the original page. I also find reading boring, unless it's a newspaper.

From what I've read, aspies have meltdowns if they sensory overload, well I don't. The pitch/tone of my voice, when talking to my cats, is quite normal. Maybe I over-exaggerated the tone/pitch of my voice on the day of the assessment. Ergo, if I can speak normally I'm not autistic.

I grant you that I don't think of myself as being 47, or a woman - I'm just me - but even NTs surely can feel that they're not their chronological age and they're not male/female.

I didn't do all that well at the SQ Test, and I;m sure for the EQ Test, I answered the questions so that I got a low score. My Austism Test had me as having both NT & ND traits, so I took the test again until I had more ND traits.

How can I be autistic, if I can read people'e emotions? How can I be autistic, if I don't say things that might offend people? How can I be autistic if I don't have an all consuming special interest, or if I don't have a special skill, which all aspies have?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

Where did you get your mythical beliefs about perfect pitch as typical of aspies?

Only two percent of virtuoso musicians have perfect pitch, meaning that 98% of the virtuosos, which we assume are both AS and NT, don't.

So what are your sources for the claims you make in this thread? Could you perhaps provide some so that we know where you are sourcing your beliefs from.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

I think you are buying into the stereotype that to have ASD, you must be UBER AMAZING at something.

My husband has ASD, and no perfect pitch. He has some talents, but they aren't UBER AMAZING. Infact, his talents would be pretty much on the NT range. He isn't a savant.

My husband believes he can read people. Not by a long shot. He thinks he can actually carry a true conversation with give and take. He monologs when stressed, and that means all the time.

My husband thinks he doesn't offend people. Yes, he does. He doesn't mean it, and people are too polite to say, "Hey as*hole, what did you mean by that?"

My husband scripts all his conversations in his head before he opens his mouth. I never head of anyone doing that.

The only reason my husband thought decent social skills is people either a) ignored his mistakes or b) thought he was a weirdo and not worth the effort confronting him. So noone ever really got in his face and said "WTF just came out of your mouth."

You have to remember NTs are always doing a cost/benefit analysis during a conversation. If this person worth my effort to confront them? Will I see him again, so just let this go? Is it worth ignoring the monologing if I still get what I want in the end? Him running at the mouth doesn't matter, because his other qualities make up for it.

So..I would really wonder how great your social skills truly are if you are not around a whole bunch of people who will give you honest feed back. My husband was horrified to find out that he has the social skills of a 13 year old. I give him a free pass since I love him, and he has other good qualities. People at work didn't think he was worth the effort to confront. They just tuned him out.

What you believe you are projectioning may not be at all what others are receiving.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

I've hated liars than and I hate liars now.

Leeds_Demon

26 Sep 2017, 2:55 pm

@B19: https://iancommunity.org/ssc/perfect-pi ... -rare-gift. If I don't have a special, all consuming interest, then how can I be classed as being 'autistic'?

Temple Gradin stated that there are three types of thinkers - visual, music & maths thinkers and verbal logic. I am none. I don't make lists - if I go shopping, I keep everything in my head. I can't be a visual thinker, as I'm not good at art and as for the music & maths thinkers, I can't write music, or play an instrument and I'm very poor at maths. Ergo, if I'm don't fall into any of those sub-sets, I can't be on the spectrum.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

It's your life. Believe what you like, and as long as you don't harm others, live it your way with your beliefs.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 3:01 pm

The thing that cracked me up was the title- "Perfect Pitch; Autism's Rare Gift" :lol: ^^^^^^

Honestly, I do not fit into those types of thinkers either. I also have known other autistic people who do not fit in the verbal, patterns, and visual thinkers and disagree with them. I'm not great at verbal stuff, I suck at art and math, and even though I play an instrument I'm not that good. I don't think autism can be classed into three types of thinkers. Have you ever been tested for OCD? I'm just curious.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Leeds_Demon

26 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

Nope. I do talk to myself, which may, or may not be an aspie trait and I sometimes use silly voices.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

What I'm getting is that you might be an edge case. You might have just enough autistic traits to merit a diagnosis, or you might have one or so too few. You're you. I have my own way of having autism. Some people in this thread have given a demonstration of Black & White thinking, and may not like edge cases. Whatever. It's better not to lie, except when it isn't.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 1:22 pm

MagicKnight wrote:
Also, I find curious why people who aren't Asperger's (and I'm not referring to the OP, sorry OP) suddenly want to become perceived as one.

Possibilities:

Some people value being special (or simply being seen as special) more than they value the truth. Asperger's now has a community that some people find attractive.

In situations in which being perceived as having Asperger's might disadvantage them, they could simply not tell anyone, same as people who actually do have Asperger's. The social aspects of society are so messed up in some places that some people may feel that being seen as disordered is not much worse than their current social situation. Asperger's is more respected and understood than it was in the past, so maybe they don't have much to lose.

On the other hand, if anyone fits your description, most of them are probably young. Young people are not great at considering the consequences of their actions (telling people they have a disorder).

Leeds_Demon

27 Sep 2017, 2:54 pm

I took the Visual Pattern Fluid Intellgence Test last night and let's just say I didn't understand it. I had no concept of which patterns I was choosing to complete the sequences. To be honest, I may as well have been asked to translate a bunch of hyroglyphics. I was utterly bamboozled and gave up. Since I don't see patterns, am not good at maths, etc, etc, then I'm not an aspie. But I guess I could say that I am, as a 'get out of jail' card, when I go 'aaggghhh' & have a go at someone, when they annoy me.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 3:39 pm

If you're unsure about you're diagnosis I suggest go to a Aspie meetup and observe talk and listen to as many of them as possible over a long period of time. Each and everyone of us on the spectrum are different. Some are lower functioning others are higher functioning. I've been going to two different meetups for years. One arranged by the "municipality" (is that the right word in english? I used google translate). There I typically meet the lower functioning cases, still some higher functioning individuals drop by from time to time but they seldom comes back. The other meetup is arranged by Aspies themselves. At this one there are more higher functioning people, they have to be of course to manage to arrange something like that and keep doing it over time. Most of the people in both groups clearly are on the spectrum but just at opposite ends of it.

After being diagnosed myself many years ago I too was very unsure if the diagnosis was correct and if I had correctly and honestly answered all the questions and tests. I can just trust that the professionals that diagnosed me knew what they where doing and where able to spot any attempts by me consciously or unconsciously exaggerating some of the questions. I really don't know if I was honest or not. I also have social phobia and that might have influenced the tests somehow.

To this day I still question my diagnosis. But what I have discovered is that I mainly only get along with Aspies and I feel at home in the Aspie community and they accept me back as one of their own. I have met a lot of Aspies trough the years and many of them are very much like me, higher functioning cases. Some of them seem as unsure of their diagnoses as me. Others I just KNOW are on the spectrum because of certain obvious traits, but in most cases you could not notice the traits without knowing them well, and nobody on the street would know by looking or talking to them. It's a spectrum.

And by the way, I'm terrible at math, coding and music and seeing patterns and stuff like that. I'm descent at art stuff but by no means very good, I'm just creative with a good imagination and I'm stubborn, in time I can make stuff that is okay. I'm really bad at drawing realistically, I can't do that. I am obsessive though about my hobby's, but that might just mean that I'm a Nerd.