I'm Not An Aspie. I Lied During My Assessment.

Page 2 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
I re-read my assessment report and in it, there is a big, stonking lie.

I'm sorry about that. Now, I think you should ask yourself why you lied and what were you trying to achieve with that. Note though that I am not saying you should post what you find about that here. It's a very personal thing.

From many accounts today we know that Aspies can lie, not all of them are geniuses and the "lack of empathy" thing sounds less and less of a truth. Even classic autists can lie and manipulate others.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 9:38 am

I can not believe we are still giving the oxygen she was/is looking for.

BBC: Radio 4

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

Voxish wrote:
I can not believe we are still giving the attention seeker the oxygen she was/is looking for.

Maybe you're right. The fact that I don't know the op well enough as to make that judgement maybe was what brought me here to most sincerely reply to the post but you may as well have a point there.

Anyway, OP... there it is. I hope you're not that attention-seeking person because good people who care for others will eventually be fed up with that and you'll find yourself lonelier than ever before.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

MagicKnight wrote:
Voxish wrote:
I can not believe we are still giving the attention seeker the oxygen she was/is looking for.

Maybe you're right. The fact that I don't know the op well enough as to make that judgement maybe was what brought me here to most sincerely reply to the post but you may as well have a point there.

Anyway, OP... there it is. I hope you're not that attention-seeking person because good people who care for others will eventually be fed up with that and you'll find yourself lonelier than ever before.

Every autist comes to their diagnosis in various ways and conditions. Some are quite happy to remain self-identified as autistic, having done a lot of lay clinical work in assessing themselves, and comparing themselves to the diagnostic criteria. Some who seek diagnoses, but fail at first (like myself), look for diagnosticians with better knowledge about adult diagnoses because so many diagnosticians fail in knowing much about adult autists.

WrongPlanet.net isn't supposed to be a place which criticizes those who are seeking whatever confirmation they pursue. It is, in its rules and terms of service, supposed to attempt to understand and appreciate even those who make mistakes in their desire to be diagnosed.

I don't see the OP as "attention seeking." In fact, I see the disagreement between the OP and the diagnostician as a simple misunderstanding of the diagnostic criteria at worst, and an inaccurate description of fact at best. Beyond what the OP wrote here, we know nothing about the OP, the diagnostician or how the assessment was conducted.

It is most likely, then, that we should withhold criticisms until we know better.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
It is most likely, then, that we should withhold criticisms until we know better.

Seconded. From my part, I'm not criticising. I am suggesting that, if that's the case of people who come here just for the sake of garnering attention, that these people search their feelings and never do that. I'm not an admin and all that but certainly that kind of behaviour is never well received by others.

Also, I find curious why people who aren't Asperger's (and I'm not referring to the OP, sorry OP) suddenly want to become perceived as one. Baffles me. There's a truck load of problems with regards to being an aspie. There are really zero benefits, except when one is a savant type, which most of us aren't but anyway a savant is genuinely good at one specific thing while failing at anything else.

When I say I find it curious, I mean it. I really would like to know why.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

The OP has admitted to being obsessed with questioning their diagnosis.
I don't see it as attention seeking so much as an open wrangling with themselves to try and work out their situation while gauging how people will react to it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 1:50 pm

Raleigh wrote:
The OP has admitted to being obsessed with questioning their diagnosis.
I don't see it as attention seeking so much as an open wrangling with themselves to try and work out their situation while gauging how people will react to it.

Quite likely.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

NoNormie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Sep 2017, 2:03 pm

The question of whether one offends people on a regular basis is also quite tricky, mind you. Being able to answer this truthfully, in full awareness, would depend on how truthful or open the people one might offend are. It's quite possible to offend someone without knowing you did so, since many people will not tell you that you offended them, or only through body language you might not be able to identify correctly, rather than verbally.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

NoNormie wrote:
The question of whether one offends people on a regular basis is also quite tricky, mind you

Yes, especially for us who - so is told - can't read others very well.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 3:54 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like something people might try but I seriously have a feeling it's not as easy as that -- as someone else said, a qualified assessor will actually build things into the assessment that are designed to catch out lies. They make it so that you don't even notice those parts of the mechanism, if you will.

They try to make it so you cannot detect the mechanism. But most psychometric testing is far from sophisticated.

When I was choosing a diagnostician to hire for my own assessment, most if not all the candidates said they'd need to talk to somebody close to me (e.g. parent or spouse) as well as interviewing me. One would need to rehearse thoroughly with that person, who would have to be willing to fake it too, and knowledgeable enough not to arouse suspicion when questioned.

Of course it can't be proved that the OP was telling us the truth, but we don't even have a motive for the OP faking ASD at the assessment, so my guess is that the whole thing was a wind-up gone wrong. My gut was telling me that from the start. But if the OP supplies new information of the right kind, I'm happy to think again. Meanwhile, I suspect that Raleigh has it about right. He always did seem pretty bright.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 4:45 pm

I don't think anyone knows what is going on in this thread. I don't know either, but my guess is that the OP feels guilty and is in denial about their diagnosis. I don't believe they are doing this for attention, and I actually think they do have autism. That being said, the OP is doing the typical aspie thing of obsessing over one or two specific symptoms. It kind of goes along with the confirmation bias. The one or two traits (or even more than that!) they don't have are fixated on and the OP literally convinces themself that they cannot possibly have an autistic spectrum disorder. This is what happens with me on a daily basis :roll: (not about ASD, but about other disorders), but this is just my guess.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I don't think anyone knows what is going on in this thread. I don't know either, but my guess is that the OP feels guilty and is in denial about their diagnosis. I don't believe they are doing this for attention, and I actually think they do have autism. That being said, the OP is doing the typical aspie thing of obsessing over one or two specific symptoms. It kind of goes along with the confirmation bias. The one or two traits (or even more than that!) they don't have are fixated on and the OP literally convinces themself that they cannot possibly have an autistic spectrum disorder. This is what happens with me on a daily basis :roll: (not about ASD, but about other disorders), but this is just my guess.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't think 13 year olds should know what "basal ganglia" is. I have been meaning to tell you that. I can't find the thread where you said it because I wanted to debate you about the potential neurologic causes of autism (all the well thinking it odd to get into a debate with a 13 year old about that).

To stay on topic, I don't think the op is looking for attention either. I think he's probably not sure as to whether he's autistic or not, or in a period where he's second guessing the diagnosis. I actually did that for awhile and have a problem where I'll change my mind and than change it again, so I can totally relate to that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 4:58 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

That guess makes sense to me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't think 13 year olds should know what "basal ganglia" is. I have been meaning to tell you that. I can't find the thread where you said it because I wanted to debate you about the potential neurologic causes of autism (all the well thinking it odd to get into a debate with a 13 year old about that).

To stay on topic, I don't think the op is looking for attention either. I think he's probably not sure as to whether he's autistic or not, or in a period where he's second guessing the diagnosis. I actually did that for awhile and have a problem where I'll change my mind and than change it again, so I can totally relate to that.

Hey, why not :D ? Just pretend you haven't ever seen my age! Thank you though! It would be fun to get into a debate on the potential neurological causes of autism (for some reason I don't think most people my age do that, but I'm not most people I guess! :wink: ).

I had that problem for a while as well. It eventually stopped for me, but it is perfectly normal to question diagnoses like that. After all, there isn't a blood test for autism! It is a very easy thing to second guess, and I don't think the OP is a troll either.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

RikMayall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 5:10 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Detailed and insightful.

Something to think on and consider rather than dismiss based on a bias that should not apply here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 5:56 pm

MagicKnight wrote:

Also, I find curious why people who aren't Asperger's (and I'm not referring to the OP, sorry OP) suddenly want to become perceived as one. Baffles me. There's a truck load of problems with regards to being an aspie. There are really zero benefits, except when one is a savant type, which most of us aren't but anyway a savant is genuinely good at one specific thing while failing at anything else.

When I say I find it curious, I mean it. I really would like to know why.

To have an excuse to say whatever they want?

To have an excuse to be a jerk? To be an ass?

To have an excuse to be weird and different?

These are just my guesses. I actually knew someone online who used AS just to not care about my feelings and to harass me and he got worse and worse after deciding he had it. Yes this is why the aspie self diagnoses have a bad name. Even though those with true AS can also use it as an excuse too to be a jerk. I recently saw someone posting online about their boyfriend being diagnosed with it and got worse so he was using it to rape her and sexually assault her and then saying he has AS and he "warned her" and other aspies there were telling her that wasn't AS and he is just being a creep and she needed to get out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.