Have you ever had the guts to sue someone who harm you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2017, 7:33 pm

lots of us are victims of bullies, prejucice, mocking, and other types of harm attitudes. someone here raised the head against the people who harm you physically or psychologically / morally and sue the person?

many of the problems we suffer are only solved in the court, unfortanelly. im having this dillemma right now

Special Interest: memes

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

I was on the verge of taking my ex-landlord to court once, not really a bullying matter, but he'd had a solicitor threatening me with eviction, and had been (IMO) harrassing me informally before that, and my solicitor and I had worked out a counter-lawsuit, mostly to tie the landlord's hands so I'd have time to choose a better place properly. Once I'd achieved that, I was going to continue my case against him, but in the end I decided not to bother, as it all began to seem rather petty and too much like hard work with no certainty of success.

I think it can be a good idea to get the law onto a bully, but only if a strong case can be made. A guy at work sued for constructive dismissal after being bullied out of his job, and I'm glad to say he succeeded.

So I'd say go for it, but only if it really looks likely to work. I like it when a victim hurts a bully.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

Yes.

I won.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:30 pm

I have a story about this but realized I can't tell it as I still fear repercussions from this person.

But it's not about "guts" -- it's that I've had my life ruined enough as it is. This person is powerful and threatened me with even more decimation of my life as I'd known it than I'd already been through.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm

I took a bullying manager to the employment court, which ruled in my favour, despite her attempt to hide evidence and she even stole my file of email correspondence with my lawyer! My lawyer told the judge that in all his years of practice (many decades) he had never seen such disgusting example of employer behavior. The judge agreed. Was it stressful? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes. Never give your power away. Stand up to toxic people, for yourself and for others.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm

I was in the depths of PTSD in a series of events of which this was but one. I was in no condition to fight anything. I was scrambling just to put my life back together from other events. I didn't even know where to turn to.

Plus this person WAS in the legal system.

Sorry but once in a while you CANNOT do anything. It's too late now, it was years ago.

wolventears
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm

I just didn't care about it when they did it and neither believed I would get any help.

Could've "hacked" their social media accounts but that would make matter worse ...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I was in the depths of PTSD in a series of events of which this was but one. I was in no condition to fight anything. I was scrambling just to put my life back together from other events. I didn't even know where to turn to.

Plus this person WAS in the legal system.

Sorry but once in a while you CANNOT do anything. It's too late now, it was years ago.

I quite understand that. If I had been younger than I was, less experienced, less confident, less well and so on, it may not have been possible. The other thing I had was good support - from colleagues I respected (not all), my lawyer and my family. Support is vital, to manage the inevitable stress and recovery from it and the offending behaviours. Not everyone has that.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:00 pm

I was completely alone with no support even from a couple of places I turned to, I really do mean that. There is more to this story and it would curl your hair to hear it. But I don't think anyone will ever know or understand the complete crisis I was in during the stage in my life when this took place. I wasn't even WELL enough to do anything but survive. I'm talking a series of events you wouldn't even believe if you saw it in a movie or read it in a novel. And a level of stress I was already in. I was not young, this was in recent years. But I was in, as I've said here, a situation you would not believe even if I told you. I can't even find words for it. Thats all I can say about what I had already been going through when this person also added to it. Seriously I'm talking turns of events that nobody even gives me credit for getting through. It makes me really angry that nobody thinks I've been strong yet they don't know just how strong I've had to be. I@m sick of the judgement in that.

I have to go now. I can't stand this thread and the level of "smug" when people have no idea what the circumstances are.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:03 pm

Maybe I would believe it. Not much shocks me these days.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm

I thought about taking my ex to court if he didn't give me back the thing Dish Network wanted from me . I also though about involving the police to report theft. I never had to get that far because he finally returned it like a day later after I posted this thread where where I was threatening all these lawsuits:

viewtopic.php?t=28648

The fun times I had with him and this was the last straw that made me decide to get out of that relationship. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 2:54 am

I wish my parents had sued both of my eye surgeons who operated on me when I was under 5 years old. They really stuffed things up. But that's not the way Australia was back then. People just accepted wrong doings. No longer. I can't have sued those surgeons because by the time I was 18, they were both dead.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:06 am

BirdInFlight wrote:

I have to go now. I can't stand this thread and the level of "smug" when people have no idea what the circumstances are.

If it's any consolation, I've stopped telling people about the crazy stuff I've experienced, because it's so weird they think I'm making it up. When they realize it's true, they think I did something to deserve it.... Usually what I did to deserve it goes something along the lines of

- not having the right facial expression
- avoiding eye contact
- having trouble with spoken instructions

Hardly criminal behavior.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 4:23 am

I missed the time window, unfortunately, because I was too far gone / heavily medicated to think properly.
By the time I'd straightened out it was too late to take up the matter, and I was stuck with a 5K debt because someone else illegally discriminated against me, then sent me to someone else who misdiagnosed me via exploratory surgery, and charged me for it.
I wished I'd sued the bastards. But it was all and always too late.