anyone here play shin megami tensei/ persona games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

wolventears
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 9:58 pm

I wonder what you think of the religious themes in these games?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 3:34 am

I've played quite a few of these games and I've never noticed any religious themes. Unless you're referring to the names of demons/Personas, which don't really seem to have much significance.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:39 pm

SMT has religious themes though often they are of the Buddhist/Shintoist variety. Judaism and Gnosticism also get pulled in sometimes. Generally speaking though I don't pay too much attention to it.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:27 am

I played Persona 1, but couldn't make it to the end. Definitely lots of philosophy and supernatural stuff.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2017, 6:05 pm

SMT is probably my favourite JRPG series. SMT3 (Nocturne or Lucifer's Call) and Persona 5 are two of the best games ever made, for sure. There are definitely religious themes in a lot of SMT games but they're generally superficial. To be honest, the whole point of the religious aspect imho is to justify monster designs based off of world religions and mythology, and that's one of the reasons the games are so compelling

Still haven't finished SMT4 or started Apocalypse, because of that stupid alignment system. I won't let myself play the sequel until I get the neutral ending