Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:00 am

They may be well-intentioned, but all too often they’re not made for people who are actually autistic.

Quote:
If you so much as mention autism on social media, your feeds will suddenly be inundated with suggested content and ads somehow related to the neurodevelopmental disorder. Twitter will recommend accounts run by allistic (non-autistic) experts and the parents of autistic children. Pinterest will shower you with “inspirational” posters extolling the bravery, strength, and all-around mama-bear-ness of these Autism Warrior Parents. Facebook ads will become convinced that you’re in the market for a miracle cure… and approximately 6,000 autism-themed T-shirts to go along with it.

Most of the designs are ugly and unappealing to me. Many of them are downright baffling. Autistic people often have issues with sensory sensitivity, so why are the logos and slogans that claim to care and fight for us bright and busy enough to induce sensory overload? Most of all, though, I think I’m just confused by the whole autism awareness fashion phenomenon. Who does apparel like this help? Who wants to wear it? What purpose does it serve? They’re certainly not doing anything for me as an actually autistic person, or most of the other people on the spectrum that I’ve talked to.

Outside of a “f**k You, Andrew Wakefield” V-neck (Wakefield being the former doctor whose thoroughly discredited study linking vaccines to autism continues to be a scourge on public health and the autism community) that I picked up from autistic activist Eb’s Model Deviance Designs shop earlier this year, though, I’ve never felt much of an impulse to add autism messages to my closet full of sartorial conversation starters.

Browsing Etsy a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a cute pin that spelled out “autistic” in a simple font with a hint of glitter, and I started to wonder if my issue with autism awareness fashion might not have been the concept itself. I just needed to find the right piece and the right designer.

After ordering one of the pins I contacted the seller, an autistic artist named Beth Wilson, to ask what had inspired her to make them. “I was just having a browse online to see if there was any autism merch that I liked, and I couldn’t really find much,” she told me via e-mail (again, because talking on phones really is the worst). “I decided to make something for autistic people as an autistic person, to celebrate who we are.”

Like me, Wilson was dismayed by many of the products that she’d seen on the market. “I really hate it,” she said. “I did some research a few weeks ago and was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that was created by allistic people, mostly for parents of autistic children. Aesthetically I dislike the jumbled words and the colors, but I also dislike the messages. It’s all centered around the parents and not the autistic person. A lot include the puzzle piece, which is pretty unpopular among actually autistic people. Lots of the messages are about how it’s tough being an ‘autism parent,’ and that makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don’t want to see messages that portray autistic children as a burden/difficult, etc.”

Like me, Wilson was dismayed by many of the products that she’d seen on the market. “I really hate it,” she said. “I did some research a few weeks ago and was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that was created by allistic people, mostly for parents of autistic children. Aesthetically I dislike the jumbled words and the colors, but I also dislike the messages. It’s all centered around the parents and not the autistic person. A lot include the puzzle piece, which is pretty unpopular among actually autistic people. Lots of the messages are about how it’s tough being an ‘autism parent,’ and that makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don’t want to see messages that portray autistic children as a burden/difficult, etc.”

Wilson set out to make her work the antithesis of those offerings in terms of both aesthetics and message. “I wanted to keep it simple, easily readable, and not overwhelming. I do really dislike the stuff you’re talking about, which seems to use a lot of typefaces and colors all squashed together so it’s hard to process. I used glitter because I really enjoy looking at sparkles in the light. Glitter is used in sensory things like sparkle jars (jars of water with color and glitter in it), and I think a lot of autistic people enjoy sparkly things.”

When I asked her what she thought the differences between merch made that’s made by us as opposed to about us, Wilson mentioned some of the more obvious differences. “Allistic people are making stuff for themselves and it really shows. Autistic stuff celebrates autism and is sensorially pleasing.”

But she also pointed out that the differences run much deeper than the designs themselves. While the shirts I’ve seen advertised on Facebook often make money for allistic people, and charity T-shirts raise funds for organizations that are often run by allistic people, purchasing merch from autistic artists directly contributes to the wellbeing of autistic people.

“A lot of autistic people struggle to work in conventional jobs, myself included,” she stated. (This is also true for me. Writing is my dream job, but it’s also my last resort.) “So when you purchase something from an autistic person, you are supporting them and helping them earn a living.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:30 am

A lot of that stuff makes me feel queasy, I would never buy nor wear it, for reasons stated in the above piece (in the double paragraph - how did that happen?!)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 6:55 am

I don't like those shirts, they are a bit cringeworthy.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

I'd go for a "F*ck you Andrew Wakefield" tee, just because its an instant conversation starter: who is Andrew Wakefield and why do you hate him?

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2017, 1:09 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I'd go for a "F*ck you Andrew Wakefield" tee, just because its an instant conversation starter: who is Andrew Wakefield and why do you hate him?

Excellent, I laughed out loud when I read that :D

BBC: Radio 4

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:30 pm

I don't like those T-shirts and I never did. The slogans are really swastikas in disguise.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

I haven't seen any of this kind of garbage anywhere I live. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of that crap, but NTs who think they're being autism-friendly would, of course. Sickening. They may as well be wearing white robes with pointed hoods over their heads. :skull:

I'd be surprised if anyone in this hick town I live in would even know what Asperger's is if I hadn't already told them, so I'm sure they'd be even more clueless who Andrew Wakefield is and why we should hate him. I also don't like people using the F-word in public to even express their hatred of cancer like the bumper sticker my mom saw last week.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:08 pm

I own one. I like it.

It has a giant Tinker Bell on it with the slogan, "All you need is faith and trust, hope and a little pixie dust."

It's mostly an inside joke. Many years ago, my husband and a couple of friends put a lot of effort into trying to convince me that people could just like me, for me. They said I just needed to have a little faith and trust them. I wasn't having a very good day, and came back with, "Faith, and trust... And what else?? OH YEAH-- PIXIE DUST!!"

I'm aware that they've probably forgotten the comment, and nobody gets the joke but me. Still makes me laugh, and it's MY SHIRT.

I've seen way worse things in "awareness" ads on billboards and TV than I've ever seen on a t-shirt.

And-- It IS tough being an "autism parent." No so much because of the autistic kid, necessarily, but because of the social messages, the way you see people treat your kid, the conflicting instructions from "experts" versus your own common sense... It has to be Hell. It's hard dealing with the message that the problem with my ADHD kid is that I "don't punish him enough," and being autistic and all, I'm not nearly as susceptible to that crap as an NT parent.

Did anybody see the ones AspergersRUs was joking about?? They said, "I hate someone with autism" and then had pictures of them. I wish they'd been real. I want one, with my face on it. I wish I knew how to make iron-on transfers with the printer. I want that shirt!!

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2017, 11:54 pm

I don't like the puzzle piece too much, but I can't really deny that it's a pretty fitting symbol. It's important to note that autism is--first and foremost--a disorder of communication. Many autistic people have difficulty understanding metaphors, figures of speech, nonverbal language cues... If you think the puzzle piece is inappropriate as a symbol, then what do you propose as an alternative?

And, yes, the shirts that focus on the challenges of parenting a child with autism do have their place. Raising a mentally disabled child is a motherfucking challenge, and the parents (often single mothers) who have experienced this challenge have earned some bragging rights.

wariodude128
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

I happen to have a shirt that on the back talks about how Autism isn't a tragedy, but running out of bacon is. And ignorance, but mainly the bacon thing. As someone with Asperger's I think humour with truth is a way to help others with Autism or Asperger's. The puzzle piece doesn't really bother me. Though it might if the piece didn't fit in the empty space where the piece is supposed to go. Because why would you try putting a puzzle piece in a space it wasn't meant to go into? That could be just me though.