Is the world really going to end next week?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:14 am

I heard people talking about the world is coming to an end next week, then I read an article online saying about all these changes that's going to happen to Earth. I read something like the plague will return, and winters in the UK will be longer, and there are lots of earthquakes coming. Is this all true??

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Sep 2017, 5:50 am

Probably no.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:50 am

No, it's going to be the week after...One thing is for sure though: you need to tell off the people you want to tell off, burn all your bridges, and spend all your money because you wont have the opportunity in two weeks. Anyone who tells you differently is telling you fake news.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:23 am

Aristophanes wrote:
No, it's going to be the week after...One thing is for sure though: you need to tell off the people you want to tell off, burn all your bridges, and spend all your money because you wont have the opportunity in two weeks. Anyone who tells you differently is telling you fake news.

^ This. You need to make sure it's also from a credible source, such as the above. Don't listen to anyone else.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:26 am

Aristophanes wrote:

I think I'm going to take up smoking... right now... why not?

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:27 am

Aristophanes wrote:

I think I'm going to take up smoking... right now... why not?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:27 am

In fact.. it's so good I'll do it twice!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

Sometime I wish it just finally would. This world has become multiple hells. Stick a fork in me I'm done. I'd just be sad for the animals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

I sometimes wonder if the world ends when I sleep------but then begins again when I wake up.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sometimes wonder if the world ends when I sleep------but then begins again when I wake up.
Shhh you're not supposed to have realized that! Oh no, kraftie has cottoned onto what really happens. . . :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:04 am

Um...are the answers in this thread another way of saying "you'll believe anything you gullible idiot"?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Have you studied Philosophy by any chance?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:33 am

I've only studied it on a casual basis. I took one philosophy course in college/university.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
Um...are the answers in this thread another way of saying "you'll believe anything you gullible idiot"?
Oh, no no no -- I apologize, Joe -- I was just having a bit of fun with kraftie's comment. I took him at his word that maybe has wondered that, it's very theory-of-mind-ish. I think we took your thead off-topic with no intention of implying anything. :)

I don't think it's gullible to at least wonder about these things. Around the run-up to the millenium there were millions of perfectly reasonable non-gullible people who actually did prepare for awful things happening.

Personally I don't really think there is much to these things but I never dismiss the possibility that the world is accelerating in its race to destruction, that's for sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:52 am

It's just that there have always been "signs" that the world is going to end---since the beginning of Time, almost----yet it hasn't happened yet.

If I happen to notice a "sign," I'm not going to start hoarding supplies in preparation.

The only way the world is going to end before a billion years from now is if some catastrophic event occurs which originates from outer space----like an extremely large runaway asteroid encounter onto the surface of the Earth. Or if the Earth, all of a sudden, moved, say, 10 million miles closer to the Sun than previously.

I just can't live my life assuming that the world is going to end imminently. The Crab Nebula was supposed to mean "the end." Y2K, too. Then the Mayan thing.........

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 11:25 am

Yes. There have always been predictions of an end of the world scenario. Personally I've never "prepared" for any one of them yet.

The only thing I might take seriously is if it is observed that an asteroid is in fact on a collision course, and that would come from the science community, not a religion-based one.