Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:22 am

I'm so exhausted now, and I just can't get my energy back, so I thought I might as well ask you guys if you have any suggestions.

I have a real bad problem with physical activity. On Sunday and Monday I was pretty active, and now I'm exhausted. Executive functioning has gone to hell. I am struggling with everything right now, and lying on the sofa a lot.

For years, I've been having trouble with anxiety, insomnia and depressive thoughts whenever I exercised. I feel I got that under control after I started taking zinc, which takes the anxiety away and lets me sleep. However, it's Thursday now, and I'm feeling worse than ever, and it's affecting my mood. Tomorrow I have to do a bit of travelling and some tasks that require a lot of EF, and I'm behind on all my projects.

I have pain in my feet and in the lower legs, and I'm just exhausted. I can't decide if it's because of

- physical activity
- some unnamed illness
- a quarrel I had with my husband on Sunday morning
- worries about the thing I have to do that I don't want to do because I'm so exhausted
- a combination of the above

Anyone relate? Any suggestions? I can't live like this, the moment I tire just a little bit I fall apart.

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

I have chronic fatigue, brain fog (not being able to think clearly or switch between tasks well, or focus on one task), and a little fluid swelling in my joints due to hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, and taking high dose vitamin D (6000 IU), melatonin 300mcg for sleep (not only do I have NO energy during the day, I can't sleep at night either) and 30 minutes of yoga a day - from the free app Down Dog, are helping me get the energy i used to have back. Maybe in a few weeks, I can get back into serious weight lifting soon, as it was a much loved hobby of mine. Hopefully, a doctor can tell you more about what's going on with your body!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

Having had them since at least 2000, and with Dad being one of the US Navy's first medical retirements, he might have been the literal first, medical retirement with them in mid 1980s, I would suggest finding out how to get assessed for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME/CFS, (also known in the opposite order, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, CFS/ME) and fibromyalgia.
They have been the kinds of things which are diagnosed only by ruling out a bunch of other diseases but lately there have been developments in diagnosing them directly.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:00 pm

underwater wrote:
I'm so exhausted now, and I just can't get my energy back, so I thought I might as well ask you guys if you have any suggestions.

I have a real bad problem with physical activity. On Sunday and Monday I was pretty active, and now I'm exhausted. Executive functioning has gone to hell. I am struggling with everything right now, and lying on the sofa a lot.

For years, I've been having trouble with anxiety, insomnia and depressive thoughts whenever I exercised. I feel I got that under control after I started taking zinc, which takes the anxiety away and lets me sleep. However, it's Thursday now, and I'm feeling worse than ever, and it's affecting my mood. Tomorrow I have to do a bit of travelling and some tasks that require a lot of EF, and I'm behind on all my projects.

I have pain in my feet and in the lower legs, and I'm just exhausted. I can't decide if it's because of

- physical activity
- some unnamed illness
- a quarrel I had with my husband on Sunday morning
- worries about the thing I have to do that I don't want to do because I'm so exhausted
- a combination of the above

Anyone relate? Any suggestions? I can't live like this, the moment I tire just a little bit I fall apart.

Could be peripheral vascular disease. Decreased circulation to the lower extremities causes pain. I'd say see a vascular doctor.

I'm taking a break right now because my legs are hurting, but that's from exercising with Gilad. :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 3:13 am

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

NurseAngela, I've been considering peripheral vascular disease. I think I'll have a chat with my doctor. The trouble is that I have some other pain problems that show up at other times, which I think are related to my spine, and it's hard untangling all these different pains and symptoms.

Also, I finally finished my assessment, and got diagnosed with Asperger's. I've felt so helpless to talk to my doctor, but now that I have a diagnosis, I feel that I can go to her office and explain how Asperger's interferes with communication, alexithymia issues and so forth. Hopefully we can have better communication. She's a really all right lady.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get more exercise, which in any case is good for everything physical.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 3:49 am

Welcome! Yes, the diagnosis can help. I ended up not needing the surgery after all but one time there was a surgeon who asked if I had Asperger's. After I said yes, that was diagnosed some years back, she said she had thought so as soon as she first sighted me, her son has it. Shortly after that conversation the way I was treated by others in the office changed for the better.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 8:05 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Welcome! Yes, the diagnosis can help. I ended up not needing the surgery after all but one time there was a surgeon who asked if I had Asperger's. After I said yes, that was diagnosed some years back, she said she had thought so as soon as she first sighted me, her son has it. Shortly after that conversation the way I was treated by others in the office changed for the better.

Thank you! I hope it will work out well. My doctor didn't pick up on it at all - she told me I should not blame myself for all the people treating me badly - but it's enough now. She is a kind person who sees the best in people. I don't think she understands that it is her own great communication abilities that get in the way. I am happy with this diagnosis. I'll go and talk to her.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

It is also true that I realized after we had talked about Asperger's and autism she related to me and presented information in a different manner than is typical for NT to NT transactions. At this point on the calendar I can't recall specific details, just that the difference was obvious. And that I appreciated it! :D

Also interesting were the opposing effects Asperger's/autism, whatever the DSM-something calls it these days, had on me and on her son.
I can't handle television's sensory barrage but can drive okay & her son gets too overwhelmed to drive but does TV and videogames just fine.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

I have something called fibromyalgia, which sometimes can cause the pain you describe, but mostly muscle fatigue. Ironically, exercise is suppose to help with the symptoms. Some times also trying more Magnesium , because some people have a vitamin and mineral deficiency. Doing lighter exercise helps. If you push too hard it can make it worse. So its a happy medium.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:25 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I have something called fibromyalgia,
Ahh yes, and what fun it is. I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - because doing so would be just plain sadistic.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:44 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I have something called fibromyalgia, which sometimes can cause the pain you describe, but mostly muscle fatigue. Ironically, exercise is suppose to help with the symptoms. Some times also trying more Magnesium , because some people have a vitamin and mineral deficiency. Doing lighter exercise helps. If you push too hard it can make it worse. So its a happy medium.

Thanks. I don't really think it's fibromyalgia, though. Diagnoses like Fibromyalgia and ME annoy the crap out of me. I know they are real, I don't believe the people who say it's all psychosomatic, but the lack of an explanation for what is wrong is really horrible. Also, I think people who have other illnesses end up being diagnosed with Fibro or ME because of sloppy doctors who fail to explore other avenues.