why is everyone so mad about trans/nonbinary people?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

C2V wrote:
How predictable. The chromosomes argument. As if that defines everything about a complex topic.

It does. If you have a Y chromosome you're male. That's an indisputable fact (*). I know that doesn't suit your agenda but if your agenda blinds you to basic scientific truths then you really need to re-evaluate your beliefs.

* save a few rare medical conditions like Swyer syndrome, however they are diagnosed and treated. Almost all trans people have the correct chromosomes for their biological gender.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:11 am

Chichikov wrote:
C2V wrote:
How predictable. The chromosomes argument. As if that defines everything about a complex topic.

It does. If you have a Y chromosome you're male. That's an indisputable fact (*). I know that doesn't suit your agenda but if your agenda blinds you to basic scientific truths then you really need to re-evaluate your beliefs.

* save a few rare medical conditions like Swyer syndrome, however they are diagnosed and treated. Almost all trans people have the correct chromosomes for their biological gender.

Even if it's an option and not biological, what difference does it make to you as a bystander?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Even if it's an option and not biological, what difference does it make to you as a bystander?

What difference does someone being trans make? None. I'm just here to correct people who are posting things that are factually incorrect simply to bolster their argument. If your argument is sound you have no need to do that.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 12:50 pm

i like the way you answered his question.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:26 pm

Quote:
why is everyone so mad about trans/nonbinary people?

Simple-mindeness

All of reality is probabilistic, particles collide with each other, producing non-binary outcomes.

There is no "male"
There is no "female"
There is no "Y Chromosone"
There is no "X Chromosone"

Simple-minded people grasp onto high-level concepts without understanding them.

Wiki says it ...

"Y-DNA haplogroups represent major branches of the Y-chromosome phylogenetic tree that share hundreds or even thousands of mutations unique to each haplogroup"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-c ... haplogroup

It's all random mutations.

That's how reality works.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Yeah, it's a made up idea like "electrons".

Electrons don't exist in reality.

It's a made up idea.

That's why we have XY females born with female reproductive parts, and XX males born with male reproductive parts.
And everything in between.

"XX Male Syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

"Swyer syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_gonadal_dysgenesis

Grey_Area
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

It's a good thing my chromosomes aren't visible to the naked eye.

akn90

24 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

I'm gay and I'm ashamed to admit that noticably trans people make me uncomfortable. My entire life has been built with the framework of there being two genders, so gender nonbinary people and trans people who haven't undergone or who don't want to undergo gender reassignment surgery attack that framework.

There are two people in my social circle who are either trans or gender nonbinary. I find that working their names and preferred pronouns into conversations as much as I can helps to bring my discomfort down. Rationally, I think it's great that people are feeling more and more comfortable being who they are, but my body's reaction to certain stimuli hasn't caught up.

So for me, it's not you, it's me, and I'm working on it.

akn90

24 Sep 2017, 9:46 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Sex and gender are not the same thing. Gender is the cultural component. Having two X chromosomes doesn't make you genetically predisposed to wear dresses and use feminine pronouns.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:34 pm

Chichikov wrote:
C2V wrote:

Are you sure you understand what being transgender means?
Because if so, I don't really understand what point you're trying to make with all this insistence on chromosomes is everything, full stop, end of story, nothing else need ever be taken into consideration.
Even science doesn't always agree with itself in these matters, and new interpretations are always being made and considered. Because that's what science actually does. Take articles like THIS ONE for an example. Many people who take the "but it's science!" route to explain everything about human experience seem to have a strangely unscientific mindset if they believe these things are, once proclaimed, fact forever and never need be questioned again.
All the chromosomes do in regard to this topic is determine how your body develops. Being trans means your body and brain developed in different directions, most commonly believed to be due to exposure to atypical hormones before birth (though science still doesn't completely understand the phenomena).
Believe me, every trans person alive is acutely aware of what effect these mighty chromosomes have on their body. No trans person (or anyone else, I hope) is likely to try and insist that a transgender person has the correct body for their brain. Because that's what being trans is. The mismatch. If you did insist that you were, say, male and had a male body, you'd be cis. I being a transgender person am certainly not in denial that I was born with my body in a particular configuration which looked, from outside, like a binary gendered body. But that is not the whole issue here, and that's what seems to be confusing you. There is more to this topic than such a simple reduction.
And just to clarify - I do not have an "agenda" that "blinds" me to anything in this topic. What does that even mean?
I don't mind if people want to disagree with me - but it helps if they have a sensible philosophy to back it up and aren't just repeating simplified copies of what they have been told. An "agenda" seems to imply a desire to somehow convert other people to my way of thinking - this is untrue. If someone wants to disagree then that's completely fine with me, each to their own as long as they're respectful and aren't trying to infringe on my life because I'm different. I don't have any need to make everyone think the way I do. I post in these topics (and I'm really beginning to rethink why I bother) to discuss these issues with people who maybe don't understand, have questions, or honestly want to learn and be open minded about another perspective and way of thinking, or to provide suggestions / information to people who may be trans and seeking information or ideas.
If that's not your wish then that's fine. If you're happy with your perspective and being "right" in your own eyes and everyone else's perspective is "wrong" because it's different to yours, then great, may you be happy with your rightness. But if you want to understand, then perhaps your own beliefs need some re-evaluation, to be able to be open to other ideas.
akn90 wrote:
Sex and gender are not the same thing. Gender is the cultural component. Having two X chromosomes doesn't make you genetically predisposed to wear dresses and use feminine pronouns.

True. And another aspect people seem to overlook to reduce it all to a semantics argument about chromosomes. Do keep in mind though, dysphoria also creates a mismatch between someone's physical body and their brain, in some cases, not just a disconnect between their body and that body's social role.
akn90 wrote:
I'm gay and I'm ashamed to admit that noticably trans people make me uncomfortable. My entire life has been built with the framework of there being two genders, so gender nonbinary people and trans people who haven't undergone or who don't want to undergo gender reassignment surgery attack that framework.

There are two people in my social circle who are either trans or gender nonbinary. I find that working their names and preferred pronouns into conversations as much as I can helps to bring my discomfort down. Rationally, I think it's great that people are feeling more and more comfortable being who they are, but my body's reaction to certain stimuli hasn't caught up.

So for me, it's not you, it's me, and I'm working on it.

And that is completely legitimate a position to be in, in my opinion. I wouldn't be offended by that if someone else regarded me that way for those reasons. :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:41 pm

Because they think anyone who doesn't fit the norm will disrupt the flow of life, or something. Well here's a news flash: the flow of life gets disrupted, anyway.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:28 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Yeah, it's a made up idea like "electrons".

Electrons don't exist in reality.

It's a made up idea.

You're deluded.

LoveNotHate wrote:
That's why we have XY females born with female reproductive parts, and XX males born with male reproductive parts.
And everything in between.

"XX Male Syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

"Swyer syndrome"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_gonadal_dysgenesis

And ignorant. I've already covered that, why get involved in the debate if you're not going to listen to what other people are saying. Abnormalities do not make something normal. The clue is in the words.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:35 am

akn90 wrote:
Having two X chromosomes doesn't make you genetically predisposed to wear dresses and use feminine pronouns.

It doesn't no, but look over this thread and you'll see that I have never said that it does, so that's a straw-man argument.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:50 am

C2V wrote:

I have an opinion about it, much the way you have your opinion about it, and our opinions differ. As you say yourself later, science doesn't know all the answers yet, so your opinions are no more or less valid than mine.

C2V wrote:
No trans person (or anyone else, I hope) is likely to try and insist that a transgender person has the correct body for their brain. Because that's what being trans is. The mismatch.

That's your opinion.

C2V wrote:
I don't mind if people want to disagree with me - but it helps if they have a sensible philosophy to back it up and aren't just repeating simplified copies of what they have been told. An "agenda" seems to imply a desire to somehow convert other people to my way of thinking - this is untrue. If someone wants to disagree then that's completely fine with me, each to their own as long as they're respectful and aren't trying to infringe on my life because I'm different. I don't have any need to make everyone think the way I do. I post in these topics (and I'm really beginning to rethink why I bother) to discuss these issues with people who maybe don't understand, have questions, or honestly want to learn and be open minded about another perspective and way of thinking, or to provide suggestions / information to people who may be trans and seeking information or ideas.
If that's not your wish then that's fine. If you're happy with your perspective and being "right" in your own eyes and everyone else's perspective is "wrong" because it's different to yours, then great, may you be happy with your rightness. But if you want to understand, then perhaps your own beliefs need some re-evaluation, to be able to be open to other ideas.

It's funny you say that, you see you're free to to post your opinions on this subject but if I post mine my posts are flagged and removed, so this is always going to be a one-sided discussion so you enjoy your unchallenged opinions in this safe-space, but don't think me not addressing them makes them right.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 6:39 am

Chichikov wrote:
C2V wrote:

I have an opinion about it, much the way you have your opinion about it, and our opinions differ. As you say yourself later, science doesn't know all the answers yet, so your opinions are no more or less valid than mine.

Never claimed they were less valid - in fact I note later that you're welcome to them. I was pointing out that the chromosomal argument by itself is not sufficient, not that your opinion isn't valid in any way.

Chichikov wrote:
C2V wrote:
No trans person (or anyone else, I hope) is likely to try and insist that a transgender person has the correct body for their brain. Because that's what being trans is. The mismatch.

That's your opinion.

Actually it's not just my opinion, it's part of the diagnostic criteria for Gender Identity Disorder, the medical diagnosis trans people are forced to accept in order to access healthcare.

Chichikov wrote:
C2V wrote:

It's funny you say that, you see you're free to to post your opinions on this subject but if I post mine my posts are flagged and removed, so this is always going to be a one-sided discussion so you enjoy your unchallenged opinions in this safe-space, but don't think me not addressing them makes them right.

Why should you be flagged or posts removed? So far you're just expressing an opposing view, you're not being insulting about it. Posts get flagged for being insulting, breaking the forum rules, personally attacking people, etc. Which you're not doing. I may not believe you're right in your opinions, but so long as you're being respectful about it, then I don't see why yours should be censored when mine aren't.
Edited - damn quote thingy. Hope second go works ...