About constant unavailability and stuff..

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

I'm guessing this is rather rantish and with many run-on sentences but please try to bear with me, if you can.
So I have this friend of mine for almost five years and they've been a mostly helpful and supportive friend, whenever they're around or can be, that is. Yet, something isn't quite right and I'm struggling to deal with the fact I miss this person in the months they are absent. She's never followed through with many plans (though we've hung out often when we were still living in fair appromxity from each other) For example, quite some months ago, before summer began, they said they would visit me on a road trip with their friends (we both moved away around the same time but we kept in contact on and off) but that never happened.
The person posts rather often on Facebook lately but they claim (to other people; never responds to me) that Facebook messenger does not work, her phone minutes are turned off (yet their job, I'm assuming, gives them pay enough to turn on their phone (I found rather recently this person works a rather adult service job from a family member of theirs I know (props to you if you can guess the profession :P)
I've known that my friend has also had addiction problems in the past so that might possibly explain a lot /:
Yet, after soooooo long, they'll pop-up and apologize, then start talking about plans or what not.. I'm getting rather sick of it but I love her to death as a friend so I wouldn't act rude about it yet it's tiring and I'm considering just giving up. I'll still respond to her whenever she pops back up but I'm rather done with putting my effort into trying to reach her. Yet, I've known her since I was in tenth grade and she is one out of two people I could have truly said I was really close too or was most understanding towards me.
I also think I know why she's reluctant to put as much effort into keeping up with me, sometimes. She admitted to me once how sorry she was about "not talking to me as much" and how "I was one of the few people from high school I should keep in contact with but she implied there were many people there that were terrible to her yet I find that she still speaks or follows some of them..
I might edit this later, considering how I wrote this on a whim.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm

TehDoomzDay wrote:
I'm guessing this is rather rantish and with many run-on sentences but please try to bear with me, if you can.
So I have this friend of mine for almost five years and they've been a mostly helpful and supportive friend, whenever they're around or can be, that is. Yet, something isn't quite right and I'm struggling to deal with the fact I miss this person in the months they are absent. She's never followed through with many plans (though we've hung out often when we were still living in fair appromxity from each other) For example, quite some months ago, before summer began, they said they would visit me on a road trip with their friends (we both moved away around the same time but we kept in contact on and off) but that never happened.
The person posts rather often on Facebook lately but they claim (to other people; never responds to me) that Facebook messenger does not work, her phone minutes are turned off (yet their job, I'm assuming, gives them pay enough to turn on their phone (I found rather recently this person works a rather adult service job from a family member of theirs I know (props to you if you can guess the profession :P)
I've known that my friend has also had addiction problems in the past so that might possibly explain a lot /:
Yet, after soooooo long, they'll pop-up and apologize, then start talking about plans or what not.. I'm getting rather sick of it but I love her to death as a friend so I wouldn't act rude about it yet it's tiring and I'm considering just giving up. I'll still respond to her whenever she pops back up but I'm rather done with putting my effort into trying to reach her. Yet, I've known her since I was in tenth grade and she is one out of two people I could have truly said I was really close too or was most understanding towards me.
I also think I know why she's reluctant to put as much effort into keeping up with me, sometimes. She admitted to me once how sorry she was about "not talking to me as much" and how "I was one of the few people from high school I should keep in contact with but she implied there were many people there that were terrible to her yet I find that she still speaks or follows some of them..
I might edit this later, considering how I wrote this on a whim.

You can't control your friends. You can only set boundaries on what you will and won't put up with. If you want a relationship with someone, sometimes the best you can do is tell them that you worry about them or would like to hear from them more and they are always welcome to contact you. If they do they do, if they don't they don't.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2017, 3:33 pm

I get the flaky friend-vibe from your story.

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2017, 6:43 pm

alpacka wrote:

Yeah /: that's my fear. It'll be hard for me to come to terms with it because then it'll be another painful memory for me..

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

alpacka wrote:

Actually, I finally got a response from the person, i guess i'll just take their explanation at face value and just let them go on with whatever they are going through, for now.