Social dynamics of an office workplace setting?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

Anyone have tips on navigating this?? I graduate college and got an internship at a place I really like, but the social dynamics of the office are so confusing. These people share my interests and they are funny clever people, so I should be able to get along with them, but I'm having a hard time. It's a bullpen setting so we're all in a big room with half walls that divide the space and desk areas.

We can all hear all the conversations basically, so it's hard for me to tell if I'm allowed to join in or not? Just because I can hear it, does that mean it can be my business? Also, everyone is always working hard and juggling deadlines. I don't know how to start conversations or ask questions because I feel like I'm bugging people; but, somehow others are able to jump in and out of conversation easily. I basically don't take part in any conversations, but I really want to fit in and be friendly with them.

It doesn't help that I don't exactly have a place where I fit or a specific set of duties. I'm sort of constantly begging people to give me something to do, so that makes me feel extra whiny and less their equals. Also, it's only been a week - should I give myself more time to adapt?