American Professor Couple Identify Major Cause of Autism

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

As I posted about, here, in November of 2013. Science is slowly catching up to my experience, findings, and hypotheses. I’ve learned several things since but have yet to really write about them - some minor details, some significant experiences that confirmed a few things. Someday I’ll write an update.

Anyways; Link:
http://www.koreadailyus.com/korean-amer ... se-autism/

Apologies if it’s been posted. I did a quick search and didn’t find anything.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:24 am

And I'll wait until this "amazing discovery" is replicated and verified by many other scientists.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:40 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
And I'll wait until this "amazing discovery" is replicated and verified by many other scientists.

Meanwhile, I’ve been carrying on with the diet and treatment protocol that works to treat ASD well enough for me to continue living the second life that I am. I’ve been working full time and having fun kiteboarding in the Summer, hanging out at the beach, going to a few major party weekends a year, and moving forward on various goals vs spinning my wheels in frustration waiting for someone else to tell me what to do. To each their own, though.

If I can persuade anyone local, or not, to analyze me and what I do in a clinical/lab enviro, I’d gladly participate in the name of science & sharing the wealth of this knowledge with the countless people it could help. But until then, all I have is my personal experience to share.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:45 am

goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Meanwhile, I’ve been carrying on with the diet and treatment protocol that works to treat ASD well enough for me to continue living the second life that I am. I’ve been working full time and having fun kiteboarding in the Summer, hanging out at the beach, going to a few major party weekends a year, and moving forward on various goals vs spinning my wheels in frustration waiting for someone else to tell me what to do. To each their own, though.

If I can persuade anyone local, or not, to analyze me and what I do in a clinical/lab enviro, I’d gladly participate in the name of science & sharing the wealth of this knowledge with the countless people it could help. But until then, all I have is my personal experience to share.

What diet?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

AspieSingleDad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

What diet?

Probably a GFCF (Gluten free, casein free) diet or something like that.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

And the article in question identifies the gut bacteria of the mother as a possible cause of autism. No mention of an individual's gut bacteria causing autism and then being cured via diet.

Also, I'd love to know how they diagnosed mice as "autistic."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

Garbage.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:09 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AspieSingleDad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

What diet?

Probably a GFCF (Gluten free, casein free) diet or something like that.

GFCF is a part of it + a lot of medicinal herbs/oils & supplements etc which amount to being a lot closer to the “GAPS” diet. (Gut And Psychology)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

And the article in question identifies the gut bacteria of the mother as a possible cause of autism. No mention of an individual's gut bacteria causing autism and then being cured via diet.

Also, I'd love to know how they diagnosed mice as "autistic."

..which are inherited by the offspring & then make up the gut microbiome that in turn dictates many neurological functions + mood etc via the enteric nervous system sending signals to the brain right up the vagus nerve.

Same way other studies have done the same thing: scientific observation of the mice’ behaviour. Even Autism Speaks posted an article a few years ago about diagnosing Autistic behaviours in mice and then treating them via probiotics and observing the differences.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2017, 7:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
As I posted about, here, in November of 2013. Science is slowly catching up to my experience, findings, and hypotheses. I’ve learned several things since but have yet to really write about them - some minor details, some significant experiences that confirmed a few things. Someday I’ll write an update.

Anyways; Link:
http://www.koreadailyus.com/korean-amer ... se-autism/

Apologies if it’s been posted. I did a quick search and didn’t find anything.

I read the article attached to the link and I wanted to comment on this thread because my "Bullsh*t" alarm is going off.

First off- Professors of what? Math? Economics? Doesn't say. It looks a promotional piece for two big $$$ schools in the U.S.

Second- Autistic characteristics in mice???? WTF?? Are these the same characteristics that are criteria for the actual diagnosis, such as repetitive behavior, highly focused interest, communication deficits, etc?

Third- What study? Was it a peer reviewed journal/publication? Has it been replicated? How reputable is "The Korean Daily"???

The article promotes an extremely lofty claim only to be backed up by immense generalities. This is my way of thinking about it. If I am way off base, please explain to me why.

Our community has enough mis-information to deal with. I feel we are still combating stuff that happened decades ago and bulls*t articles like this and their distribution only add to the uphill battle we are all climbing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 3:45 am

Hey whoa! give the guy a break!

There is evidence based research linking autism and gut bacteria
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... brain.html

A number of parents choose to alter children's diet and there is some improvement

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 4:24 am

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
First off- Professors of what? Math? Economics? Doesn't say.
Have you heard of this really neat new thing called Google?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 4:43 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
It appears you may need to wait until five months ago,
From the article,
Quote:
"The researchers found out that certain bacteria in the mother’s digestive tract can develop immune cells that directly influence the baby’s brain cells development. When the researchers removed the bacteria with antibiotics, the mouse had a normal baby mouse."

And it would appear that this is related;
Quote:
Exp Neurol. 2017 Apr 25. pii: S0014-4886(17)30105-X. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2017.04.010. [Epub ahead of print]
Maternal IL-17A in autism.
Wong H1, Hoeffer C2.
Prenatal exposure to maternal immune activation (MIA) has been implicated as an environmental risk factor for ASD.
Recent evidence points to a potential inflammation pathway linking MIA-associated ASD with the activity of T helper 17 (Th17) lymphocytes and their effector cytokine interleukin-17A (IL-17A). IL-17A has been implicated from human studies and elevated IL-17A levels in the blood have been found to correlate with phenotypic severity in a subset of ASD individuals. In MIA model mice, elevated IL-17A levels also have been observed. Additionally, antibody blockade to inhibit IL-17A signaling was found to prevent ASD-like behaviors in offspring exposed to MIA. Therefore, IL-17A dysregulation may play a causal role in the development of ASD. The source of increased IL-17A in the MIA mouse model was attributed to maternal Th17 cells because genetic removal of the transcription factor RORγt to selectively inhibit Th17 differentiation in pregnant mice was able to prevent ASD-like behaviors in the offspring.

And the study done by the couple in article was published last year, 2016, and 7 other contributors,
Quote:
Science. 2016 Feb 26;351(6276):933-9. doi: 10.1126/science.aad0314. Epub 2016 Jan 28.
The maternal interleukin-17a pathway in mice promotes autism-like phenotypes in offspring.
Choi GB1, Yim YS1, Wong H2, Kim S3, Kim H3, Kim SV4, Hoeffer CA5, Littman DR6, Huh JR7.
Author information
Abstract

Viral infection during pregnancy has been correlated with increased frequency of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in offspring. This observation has been modeled in rodents subjected to maternal immune activation (MIA). The immune cell populations critical in the MIA model have not been identified. Using both genetic mutants and blocking antibodies in mice, we show that retinoic acid receptor-related orphan nuclear receptor gamma t (RORγt)-dependent effector T lymphocytes [for example, T helper 17 (TH17) cells] and the effector cytokine interleukin-17a (IL-17a) are required in mothers for MIA-induced behavioral abnormalities in offspring. We find that MIA induces an abnormal cortical phenotype, which is also dependent on maternal IL-17a, in the fetal brain. Our data suggest that therapeutic targeting of TH17 cells in susceptible pregnant mothers may reduce the likelihood of bearing children with inflammation-induced ASD-like phenotypes.
Copyright © 2016, American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Comment in

Neuroimmunology: IL-17A mediates a path to autism. [Nat Rev Immunol. 2016]
IMMUNOLOGY. Maternal TH17 cells take a toll on baby's brain. [Science. 2016]

See, these are the kinds of things a person can find out when they do more than sit on their lazy ass merely tossing out wisecracks and criticisms.
Took me what, 6 minutes, maybe closer to half that, to find these.
And more.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2017, 5:32 am

What a load of bollocks, honestly how can anyone give any credence to this rubbish. I would have thought that the researchers (lol) were in serious danger of committing professional suicide.

BBC: Radio 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 6:48 am

Voxish wrote:
What a load of bollocks, honestly how can anyone give any credence to this rubbish. I would have thought that the researchers (lol) were in serious danger of committing professional suicide.

I don't know if they are saying it's causative but it certainly might contribute to the severity of symptoms

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

Voxish wrote:

The research isn't bollocks. However, the reporting of it in the popular press most certainly is. I don't know how much of that is the researchers' fault. At this point nobody holds journalists to account for poor scientific reporting.

At this point, there's not much doubt that some common mouse models for autism are dependent on gut bacteria. The issue is that most people don't understand just how limited the implications of that are.