Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 11:54 am

I just received my Alumni magazine and they had a whole article about how my alma mater are moving away from the medical model of disability renamaning the “Student Disability Services” to “Office of Accessibility Resources”.

They use smart pens that have a camera and voice recorder and a certain type of paper. After class the student can tap on the paper and have that part of the lecture played back for them. I knew that colleges provide note takers for autistic students. I would find having a note taker following me around both physically awkward and it would put a unwanted spotlight on me. The smart pen seems like a much better idea.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

Most people wouldn't know that person is there to take notes for you. There would be an assumption that person is your friend. No spotlight would be on you. That would just be in your own mind.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I just received my Alumni magazine and they had a whole article about how my alma mater are moving away from the medical model of disability renamaning the “Student Disability Services” to “Office of Accessibility Resources”.

They use smart pens that have a camera and voice recorder and a certain type of paper. After class the student can tap on the paper and have that part of the lecture played back for them. I knew that colleges provide note takers for autistic students. I would find having a note taker following me around both physically awkward and it would put a unwanted spotlight on me. The smart pen seems like a much better idea.

There's no spotlight or awkwardness.
The notetaker doesn't follow you around or even sit anywhere near you.
And the notes can be scanned and emailed to you so you don't even have to speak to the person if you don't want to.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2017, 1:42 am

Raleigh wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

There's no spotlight or awkwardness.
The notetaker doesn't follow you around or even sit anywhere near you.
And the notes can be scanned and emailed to you so you don't even have to speak to the person if you don't want to.

I was going to say something like this. It's true, notetakers don't have to be associated with you.

I like the change of name though, it takes out the idea of being impaired and just makes it that you need different tools. Like left-handed scissors. ;)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:51 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Typically the note takers do not follow the student around. The note takers are typically students in the class.

The smart pens are interesting and may be useful for some people but may not be sufficient for those who have significant difficulty keeping up with the pace of notes.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I would find having a note taker following me around both physically awkward and it would put a unwanted spotlight on me.

For me, I either got a copy of the teachers notes or the selected someone from the class to make a copy from (the teacher would email them). I would hate having someone follow me around.