Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:22 pm

I was an adult (early 30s). I don't recall the specific dosage off the top of my head; I know that it was fairly low and not consistent. I'd been through a series of traumatic events, and was supposed to be taking it "as needed" to alleviate extreme anxiety and rage attacks.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:36 am

Girls father wrote:
Right after I posted my reply to you, I thought maybe I was making an uninformed judgment about you (at least partially), as you were making about me, but no, you are mostly here to brag and say you have it all figured out, but unfortunately other parents don't stand up to your "level". Congrats!

Of course I am at a different level.

I've seen all too many "warrior parents." Everyone thinks that if they just put in more effort than other parents, they can solve autism. Eventually all these warrior parents get burnt out, and start to take the view that they are just unlucky, and that their children have achieved the best outcome they could have possibly achieved. Invariably, they admit life has been tough.

Autism is not new. It's been out there for 74 years. Do you know how many parents have thought the same way and gone down the same path as you have?

As for me, life has been easy. My children are happy and smiling every day. I don't struggle. I've only had fun.

My point is, you guys work so hard to chase solutions out there, without realizing that the solution has always been right here, literally in your hands.

Autism is an educational problem, not a medical problem. Once the infrastructure is in place, teaching autistic children is just as simple and economical as teaching neurotypical children. Unfortunately, our society still has a long way to go towards that goal. My best guess is it'll take another 40 years for people to wake up.

This is a quote that I often use. It's from Dr. Barry Prizant's book titled "Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism":

"Autism isn't an illness. It's a different way of being human. Children with autism aren't sick; they are progressing through developmental stages as we all do. To help them, we don't need to change or fix them. We need to work to understand them, and then change what we do."

Isn't it funny that other people say the exact same thing that I say? Oh, it's even funnier because they don't distinguish between high functioning and low functioning, or make excuses that each child is different. Don't you think all that is just a bit too funny?