Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:39 am

My "happy pill" is cat videos. I love watching them because they're funny and cute. Petting a cat is good, too. It releases a feel good endorphin called PURR!

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

Exercise, weed and good friends make me happy. I have been on 14 different antidepressants and most do absolutely nothing for my mood or anxiety, those that do only work for a few months then stop. I just take them for their secondary attributes like H1 and H2 antihistamine effects or sedation to help me sleep. Certainly I dont take SSRIs which are little more than chemical castration in a pill. I stick to TCAs or Remeron.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 1:36 am

hurtloam wrote:
If it stops me killing myself I'll take the band aid.

Yes it doesn't remove the fact I'll actually have to do some work to improve my situation.

Well yes, there's always that exception.
Which was what antidepressants were originally intended for, or so I was told. To just provide a bit of a "stop gap" to prevent you doing anything imprudent to yourself while you / your therapist / whoever worked out what was really wrong in your life and took steps to solve those problems. They weren't meant for a long-term solution on their own.
The original post just read like wanting a happy pill you could take for the rest of your life so you'd never have to actually feel or deal with anything, or work on your situation. Hence the "Brave New World" vibe.
In that story too if I recall, the soma also had the effect of blissing everyone out so they no longer cared about things that needed to make them unhappy in order to rectify wrongs being done right under their noses. It made them apathetic, not caring if horrible things were going on, so long as they had their superficial happy pill.
Seems disturbingly similar to the way some people use antidepressants now.