Residential School for teen with Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Cgarcia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2017, 1:34 am

Has any parent considered a residential school or actually sent their child to one? Or are there and high functioning autistic individuals on here that have ever been to a residential school?

I am considering this option for my 15 year old girl with Asperger's, depression, anxiety, and ADD. She is "stuck"
And isolating herself from everything and everyone.

Any advise or experience would be welcomed

Thank you all!

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2017, 1:41 am

Hi i might have Autism and am getting tested for it in October but i work at a residential treatment facility for kids that have Autism and other behavior and emotional problem , called Genesee lake school located in Oconomowoc WI, check out there website.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:38 am

Personally, I wouldn't because in our case our son would not be able to self-advocate and if there were bullying or abuse of any kind I would never know about and he probably would not tell me for years after. There were all sorts of things that happened in regular PS that I did not find out about until later -- none of it rose to the level of actual abuse, thankfully, but that was with me occasionally popping in for one reason or another. I can't imagine what could have happened in a residential situation without anyone worrying about me showing up. Abusive things even happen to neurotypical kids from time to time -- and sometimes you will hear about some prominent case in a prominent posh boarding school for NTs.

I am sure there are schools with very good reputations, you still never know what could happen, and again, in our case my son would not tell me until years later because that is how he is. YMMMV

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

I'm confused as to what you mean by residential. Do you mean a special school for kids with ASD or do you mean a general boarding school? Personally I know neither my Son or I would have coped in boarding school. My Husband is a posh boarding school survivor. The bullying stopped when got big enough to flush the lead bullies head in the toilet. He was adamant that our kids would never be sent away for education and I agreed with him.
If the type of school you are talking about is set up for kids with special needs it may be different but if there are problems, how will you know?

Marine414

24 Sep 2017, 3:31 am

It's a residential treatment facility were the kids live but there is a school that is connected to the building and yes it is a special school for kid with ASD and other behavior and emotional problems. The kids that live at the residential treatment facility go to the school and we also have day school kids that come from around the area to go to school.
I have been there for over 2 years, please visit the website Geneseelakeschool.com we also get kids from all over the country.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:34 am

Sorry, I was actually wondering what type of school the OP was referring to. Her question was unclear.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:38 am

Marine414 wrote:
It's a residential treatment facility were the kids live but there is a school that is connected to the building and yes it is a special school for kid with ASD and other behavior and emotional problems. The kids that live at the residential treatment facility go to the school and we also have day school kids that come from around the area to go to school.
I have been there for over 2 years, please visit the website Geneseelakeschool.com we also get kids from all over the country.

IMO, this sounds like a bad fit for a kid who does not have emotional or behavioral problems and is just "stuck" and isolating herself, as the OP describes. I doubt she is going to be motivated to be more engaged with the world if she is around kids with emotional and behavioral issues.

Also, I don't know exactly what the policy is regarding promoting specific businesses, but it tends to be frowned upon, when done in excess.

Cgarcia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2017, 2:57 pm

The type of residential school would be one that specializes in teens with high functioning autism. The school would be selected by my self, the school district, and mental health department. This would not be a posh boarding school. The school would have therapeutic programs from coping skills, social skills, and self esteem.

Obviously, we have not decided on a school yet. I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has experience with any of these types of schools.