Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

I go to a "regular" school now (and have since last years fall).

In most subjects i don't need accommodations, and even if i do, they're minor. However, i've been having major problems in math due to the teacher, where i sit and how loud the class is. (Luckily this math course will be over very soon and i will have another teacher then. The other teacher, who i like, probably also has some form of autism or BAP. I like her because her lessons are quiet and very structured.)

However: I will have PE with a new teacher this year, and she doesn't seem like she will be very accommodating. I don't know how i should handle it as i don't have a physical disability, but my disability makes it impossible for me to participate, understand and enjoy the activities.

(PE is very difficult for me because i find it confusing, demotivating, too loud and uncomfortable. Sensory issues and anxiety play a large role, as does autism).

I just feel kind of hopeless. Although i am dreading the PE lessons I am trying my best to remain neutral and not assume that it will be horrible.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:05 am

That sounds like a really difficult situation.

The way I read what you've written, I'm under the impression that PE hasn't started yet. Hopefully the teacher will be more accommodating than you're worried about.

The only thing I can think of is, if after it starts it really is as bad as you're worried about, if either you were to talk to a school councillor or your parents were to talk to the school to see whether some form of accommodations can be found.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

I loathed and detested PE with a passion.

I subsequently discovered the bicycle, and cycle touring, an activity i could do by myself and with not silly competitive side. I viewed it as revenge as i achieved a level of fitness which blew the firm's occupational health people away on a screening day, and was prpbably hugely better than anything achieved by the "Team Players" of my school days.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:52 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
That sounds like a really difficult situation.

The way I read what you've written, I'm under the impression that PE hasn't started yet. Hopefully the teacher will be more accommodating than you're worried about.

The only thing I can think of is, if after it starts it really is as bad as you're worried about, if either you were to talk to a school councillor or your parents were to talk to the school to see whether some form of accommodations can be found.

Yes, you are correct. The PE course has yet to start. It starts in two weeks.

I spoke with her shortly about a month ago, and we agreed that we shall speak again, preferably before the course starts.

Its going to be possible one way or another.

PE is the subject that i have struggled in for quite a few years. It was the first subject where i started feeling an abnormally large amount of anxiety (which then developed into a anxiety/panic disorder). The anxiety and panic about school has since been "fixed" but PE is still very anxiety-provoking for me.

I know why, ish.
It is very disorganised compared with most other subjects
It is loud
I am supposed to feel motivated to play an unimportant game
The sensory aspect, the feeling or getting hot/warm -> When i get too warm i start feeling a lot of anxiety
Teachers typically not respecting me saying "i need to stop now" and telling me to "just try for a bit more". When i say i can't anymore, i can't (IF i were to continue for even a few seconds i will have a meltdown or a shutdown).

Due to the anxiety i start acting more stereotypically autistic and stimming more, flapping my hands, rocking (when standing, shifting my weight from one leg to the other), wandering, going nonverbal and other not so pleasant things.

But i am trying my best to have a positive or a neutral attitude going in the the first PE lesson and trying my best. I will speak with the teacher and make sure that she understands that if i say "i need to stop now" she has to respect it. I do not say it to avoid doing something, i do it to keep myself sane and in control of myself.

Just thinking of speaking to her gets me slightly anxious.
(I have spoken to my mom about this and if I don't feel like the teacher understands my needs, i will have my mom speak with her, or someone who will do something about the situation)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

P.E. was never one of my favorite subjects, either. I was an academic type and very awkward and clumsy. However, that doesn't mean a person can't be active. I discovered tennis at a later age and really enjoy it now. My instructor strikes a good balance between the indoor (thinking, academic) life and the outdoor (active) life.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

I am really sorry you have to deal with this. I have never had a horrible PE teacher, but I have always hated PE and I have had other teachers who were horrible for different subjects. I had a horrible math teacher before as well, and she always said things to me that made me kind of upset. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that when you get a new teacher.

I hate PE as well! I have to "participate in class," but nobody passes the ball to me because I can't catch it and I suck at all sports. It is very loud and uncomfortable for me as well, and I always wander off too! The only problem with my wandering/pacing and rocking while standing is that our gym field is right near a fairly busy street. Hopefully I don't accidentally wander into the street (I don't always realize that I am doing it)! I am very sorry PE causes anxiety for you! I hope you speaking with your teacher allows her to respect your limitations. If she doesn't, then stop, just for your own needs. In my opinion, it is better to stop when you feel uncomfortable, even if a teacher reprimands you for doing so. Hope this helps :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine