Millennials wish they had grown up in baby boomers' times

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:07 pm

Resolution Foundation study reveals growing concern about debt, job security, home ownership and retirement finances

Do autistic millennials wish they had grown up during the "refrigerator mother" era when most likely they would have been un or misdiagnosed at least until middle age, but with little or no "helicopter parenting" and multitasking?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:16 pm

from what i've seen, most of the desire comes from the higher amount of job opportunities and job security on an era before mass outsourcing, and the ease of dating (??) and being able to find a mate (??). everything in your link pretty much.

very rarely does their argument have anything related to parenting that i've seen.

i know it's easy to desire living in another era instead of learning to live in the current one, and easy to roll ones eyes at that, but i don't blame them for dreaming.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:17 pm

I'm a "millennial" but am more aesthetically attracted to the 1970s. My mother tells me pre-Thatcher Britain was hell but I really don't care. I love the 70s.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

I often wish I was born earlier, but that’s usually because I’m terrible with technology and can’t figure out how to make websites or use programs like Photoshop, which I have to know as a journalism major.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 11:27 am

There is one good thing about being millennial. They're YOUNG. When you get older not only do you have to worry more about your body and mind deteriorating as you age, but you get more set in your ways and it's harder for you to cope or accept all the changes in the world. And when you're on the spectrum it's even harder, at least in may case.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:17 am

I don't blame them. The 60s were a very groovy time.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2017, 12:27 pm

As someone who is chronologically a Millennial I would NOT want to grow up in the same time period (1950s to early 1980s) my parents did. Society was nowhere near as nice or as prosperous as people would like to believe:

Mouth off to your parents? Go to jail.

LGBT people? Go to jail or an institution (not a nice one either).

Were you married? If not and you were in your 20s or older society treated you with suspicion at best.

Badmouth your politicians/government/America? Go to jail.

Did you need a job? You probably didn't get hired if you were female or a minority. Yes, they had antidiscrimination laws even back in those days but they weren't enforced very well. 'Sexual harassment' was a relatively unknown issue to Baby Boomers in their 20s and even 30s. Yes, unions were more popular than today but the wages weren't as good as people like to think. The average production worker wage was the equivalent of making $11 - $14 USD per hour. This sounds good but consider that many families only had one person (usually the husband) working and that was tough to support a family on.

Domestic violence was much higher than today along with the general crime rate. (The murder rate of the 1970s was probably about at least double what it is today!) There was no equal enforcement of the law as far as families go, BTW (and yes, the government DID poke its business into your personal life back then) and parental rights didn't necessarily exist like they do today.

If you were attending primary school and a teacher had a problem with you or didn't like you, it was THEIR word that was taken, not the students'. Outside of basically beating a kid senseless schools had the right to discipline students in any manner for any reason no matter whether it happened or not. (Punch your teacher in the face and you went to jail!) Student protests were dealt with much more aggressively than today.

People's health was not as good. Anyone here had any sort of arthroscopic procedure done? (It's very common with orthopedic surgeries) That really didn't exist in my parent's time. Stem cell research, composite body parts/joints, many pharmaceuticals (and many other natural remedies as well), over the counter medications, complex surgeries, and many other medical treatments and products simply didn't exist in my parent's time. Medical privacy and most patient rights didn't really exist either.

Since this is an Aspie forum I will also say that many psychiatrists, therapists and so forth simply didn't have experience dealing with Aspergers or autistic people. Quite a few were in fact hostile to us (medical staff were not necessarily nice back in those days) and most Aspies in those days didn't have any sort of community or support to help them out.

Obviously we didn't have the Internet or PCs in every home but I won't rehash too much on this topic.

Even many consumer goods we take for granted today mostly didn't exist in the 1950s - 1980s:

Microwaves
Video cameras
Digital Clocks/Displays
Flat Screen TVs (These were starting to appear in the 80s if I understand my history right)
Electronic Garage Door Openers
Many cordless power tools (6v - 8v batteries were the most powerful you could buy basically)
Cordless vacuums outside of dustbusters
Anything made of titanium or any other expensive/exotic metal

I could go on and on, but my point is that it's wishful thinking to believe that the Boomer times were better.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

^ OMG YOUR AVATAR IS LIKE THEY

lulz

That is pretty cool...

Yeah I am insane...

Its pretty cool...

You should take my brain apart when I die...

Be very careful and wear masks, you might be buzzed on the gray matter...

Its got sharp edges and the warp core... Don't touch the warp core, you will become high on marijuana forever if you do...

You might however... learn how to have conspiracies deeper then the relationship I had with your wife...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 5:35 pm

I'm not a millennial but I would have been very okay with being born in the 50's rather than the 70's.

Excluding family and pets, there really isn't much I would have missed. It was a better and safer world here. Job security was also better. I can think of 2 things I would truly miss: video games and following 'my' pack online.

This age of digital technology and everything they wanna use it for, isn't for me. I'm 40 so supposed to embrace it but gaaad I don't. I long for the good old days of a few decades ago.

I don't blame anyone for dreaming of other times.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm

The Vietnam war had a huge effect on the dating scene. Returning servicemen often lost interest in women. It was an ugly time in American History.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:28 pm

...A later-end boomer :| ...I dunno. Some pretty bad things happened to me :cry: :cry:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!