what was it like?
did u like it?
did u hate it?
was it fun?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:47 pm

I might be able to do it in high school :D . I have heard of it, and it sounds really fun!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

I have heard of it. I think Rafael Nadal volunteers for that organization in Spain. He is very interested in helping children who have disabilities.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

I've never been in Best Buddies, but the chapter at my school isn't giving me a lot of positive vibes.

I've had the advisor of BB as a teacher before. I thought she was rather difficult to communicate with.

There are a few students that I know for sure are in BB. The way they talk to me, I think is what some people would describe as "patronising" or "talking as if to a little kid". Done with good intention, and they may not even realise they are doing it, but I still notice. (I've never told them I have ASD/whatever, but I guess I'm worse at masking it than I thought.) I didn't realise this until fairly recently, though. Makes I wonder about their buddies, if they get talked to similarly, if they notice, and if they care.

But that's just my school. Don't know about other schools.

Are you planning to join as the student with or without a disability?

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2017, 9:49 pm

248RPA wrote:
I've never been in Best Buddies, but the chapter at my school isn't giving me a lot of positive vibes.

I've had the advisor of BB as a teacher before. I thought she was rather difficult to communicate with.

There are a few students that I know for sure are in BB. The way they talk to me, I think is what some people would describe as "patronising" or "talking as if to a little kid". Done with good intention, and they may not even realise they are doing it, but I still notice. (I've never told them I have ASD/whatever, but I guess I'm worse at masking it than I thought.) I didn't realise this until fairly recently, though. Makes I wonder about their buddies, if they get talked to similarly, if they notice, and if they care.

But that's just my school. Don't know about other schools.

Are you planning to join as the student with or without a disability?

with
my disability is autism

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 4:39 am

I'm interested in it regarding the job aspects.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm

I think that organisations like Best Buddies are a good idea. I wish there was something like that when I was in my teens.