Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

I love laughter and enjoy laughing with other people but there is one kind of laughter that really touches my buttons to the point that I would love to slap the other party doing this. This type seems to be the extremely ditzy, featherbrain, annoying, ignorant type of laugh.

Examples-
1. I used to work at an airport doing mild janitorial work such as taking the trash out when it was full. Well, there happened to be a few women giving me "I'm sorry, I need to top this off, he he he." :roll:
2. I find that other people seem to give me that nervous giggle when they learn I like math.

What kind of laughter is this?

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I love laughter and enjoy laughing with other people but there is one kind of laughter that really touches my buttons to the point that I would love to slap the other party doing this. This type seems to be the extremely ditzy, featherbrain, annoying, ignorant type of laugh.

Examples-
1. I used to work at an airport doing mild janitorial work such as taking the trash out when it was full. Well, there happened to be a few women giving me "I'm sorry, I need to top this off, he he he." :roll:
2. I find that other people seem to give me that nervous giggle when they learn I like math.

Maybe you can find this laughter on youtube so I can here how it sounds? Myself I hate light, hysterical female voices...sorry (im a women too but does not sound like that thank God)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:

Examples-

Are you talking about when people cover their mouths and do that little "ee he he!" laugh? Kinda sounds mischievous? Cause if that's the one then everytime I encountered someone doing it they were usually laughing at me for whatever reason.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

beady
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 8:10 pm

I think its meant to convey an apology by trying to lighten an otherwise rude or uncomfortable situation.
Putting in trash while you are taking it away is getting in your way and slowing you down but may also be helpful since they are not messing a just cleaned up receptacle. It's that confusing in between situation when people don't quite know what to do.
Math is difficult for many people and it may be that they don't know how to respond to the fact that you enjoy it. It would be kind of rude to say they hate it.

Hope that helps you to dislike those people a little less. People do the stupidest things when they are nervous including me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:01 pm

I am starting to understand that just because someone is laughing, it's not because of my quirks. I recently found out why certain types of laughter and when these types touch my buttons right after I posted this and it helped.

In fact, I was able to make a few observations and hypothesis on a few situations that I witnessed.

1. There was a woman who sat next to me who was laughing at my place of worship and she was new so I am thinking that she was probably uncomfortable with the different setting with new people.

2. Yesterday(After I posted) I happened to be working and ran into some crunch time with tasks and projects and I had to print something off. When I went to print it, I had to cut it which came out wrong so I was annoyed.

I said: "I have to start all over again?" One of the other people in the room started laughing and I said, "That's not funny, sorry but I am in a bad mood."

Then I thought, "You know, that probably would have been funny if I were on the other-side. It just annoys me because the timing is akward. She's allowed to laugh whether I approve or not."

shadowself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Laughter is very idiosyncratic.
There are a lot of laughs that are sort of like saying "I'm nervous, is it ok if I do/say ___x?" Sometimes I just smile as genuinely as I'm able to set the other person at ease. If it happens that they are laughing at me I will eventually figure that out, but I don't want to prejudge them, even if they might prejudge me.

perhaps slightly off-topic: I love the sounds of laughter and have absorbed every type of laugh that I enjoy hearing or participating in. I usually laugh the way the other person laughs in conversation, even the snort-laughs(hahaha*snort*haha*snort*). Those are fun. But I think my very wide array of laughs, collected over years of laughing with various people, can be confusing to others. Maybe it makes me harder to read for them, or maybe I seem insincere? Sometimes I think that laughing the same as someone else could be seen as mocking too. And then I come back to the fact of the matter. I Love to laugh, and I love to collect new laughs and make them part of me.

One eye opened slowly, green and gold as sunlight in the woods. The cat said,"I am what I am. I would tell you what you want to know if I could, for you have been kind to me. But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer."

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

I usually laugh if I don't know what to say but I want to show I'm engaged in the conversation in some way. Like, I acknowledge what you just said and usually people think smiling and laughing is a friendly thing so I do that so people know I'm taking in what they are saying, even if I don't give that much of a reply.