parent with question about 14 year old in high school

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Treelen
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2017, 10:28 am

He does have something similar to an IEP.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 10:31 am

I know....but actually having IEP mean he has a "treatment team."

Does he have a social worker, nurse, psychologist, psychiatrist, teacher, and various other persons on his "treatment team"?

Having an IEP also means there must also be an annual meeting----so they can adjust goals as it reflects upon a child's improvement/regression.

I would guess that an IEP is more "formalized" than a 504. It's less vague, certainly.

Please don't think I'm criticizing you in any way. Schools can be remarkably stubborn in these sorts of things---because of budgetary issues, and because there's an ideology amongst some that states that kids sometimes "milk their disability" for all its worth. It's very difficult sometimes to advocate for your child.

Treelen
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2017, 10:46 am

His IEP is called an SAP. Student Academic Plan. It is basically the same.

T

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 11:01 am

Oh. Okay.

How is he doing these days?

I was in sort of the same boat when I was 14. I was almost put in a group home, in fact, when I was 13.

Treelen
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2017, 11:41 am

Ok, yes I understand about the IEP. We do see doctors have meetings. Set goals. Review medications. No behavior plan as of yet. We will see after this quarter. Typical teenage stuff most of the time.

Have a great day!! !! !! !

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 11:43 am

You too!

When i was a kid, my mother used to really emphasize the "bad' stuff in me.

I feel it's always good if a parent is aware of the "good stuff" a kid has, too. And make the kid aware, too.

I believe an emphasis on the positive, without denying the negative, could yield results.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

Does he have any anxiety? Could he be depressed? Have you made any sudden changes in his life?

It doesn't seem uncommon for kids on the spectrum to all of a sudden have behavior when they reach puberty and their teen years and be worse.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:28 am

Take all posts with a grain of salt. Take what you need from them and leave the rest. Your son might be better off home schooled if you are in a position to do so or have it done. He seems to be under a great deal of stress. We aspies/autsitics sometimes can't express ourselves properly but the stimulus that is giving us discomfort is very real and we need to be removed from the situation. Children are cruel to one another and school might not be the safest place for him to be. I often see a kid at the supermarket making sounds and acting out. My heart goes to his mother because she always looks freightened and apologetic to all - the truth is that it's not such big deal, people are very ignorant and abrasive to what they don't understand. The problem isn't necessarily the kid, it's others reaction to him. Think about it: Your son is stressed out and reacting in his own personal way. Those around him are feeling anxious because they don't understand him so they will eventually act out too. I don't know where you are location wise but check in to see if your eligible for some sort disability income. This might allow you to get him schooled outside of public education. Hope this helps. We aspies have a hard time in our youth/teens because it's a hard time in life for everybody. Your peers can't help you whether they are NT or AS because "everybody" is struggling to grow up. Kid's parents dont; help either because they too carry all sorts of baggage. My son was a happy kid regardless of all of his querks until I put him in school around other kids and their parents. Even the parents and kids in special ed weren't all that great. They express all the human frailties such as racism, jealousy, need for control, you name it...

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You too!

When i was a kid, my mother used to really emphasize the "bad' stuff in me.

I feel it's always good if a parent is aware of the "good stuff" a kid has, too. And make the kid aware, too.

I believe an emphasis on the positive, without denying the negative, could yield results.

OMG. Exactly. Instead of "what's wrong" with a child, say "what's right" with a child. It will yield results.