Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think that young girls (ages 11-20) should have the HPV vaccine?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 23 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Not Sure 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 41

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 4:31 am

Definitely, if you're sexually active. A very pretty, college-aged girl rotated through my work area was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:38 am

Should she get the vaccine? Is she planning on having sex, ever? If so, hell yes, she should have it! I remember reading that something like 2/3 of college-age people have some form of HPV. And with men, it's sometimes hard to know if he has it, as the warts can grow on the inside of the penis. A guy may not even know he has HPV! As a virus, it can live in the body and recur, although that is not always the case. I say that young women -- and young men, where possible -- should get vaccinated against any STD they can!

Should she be forced to by law? No.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 2:54 pm

No. But then I'm against most vaccines in the first place.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 10:37 am

Naively I supported it, but then I heard that it was a new vaccine being rushed through. If you rush these things through they often cause more harm than they address. This is especially pertinent in the case of HPV which has no serious consequences for most people.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 3:45 am

If they had this vaccine when I was a teenager or even 11, I would have gotten it, and I'm sure my parents would have approved since they remember how scary polio epidemics were. Even if someone doesn't intend to have sex, child molestation and rape do occur, and HPV is one of the diseases that can be transmitted through rape.

When I divorced my ex-husband, I got tested for HPV and every other STD out there, and I was lucky that all tests have been negative. The reason for that is that he had an STD, but lied about how he got it, as he cheated on a previous partner, but first said that she gave him the STD. Because of that, I got tested in case he had been cheating on me as well.