Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think that young girls (ages 11-20) should have the HPV vaccine?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 23 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Not Sure 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 41

sweetpraline
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2007, 11:29 am

Is HPV Vaccine Necessary?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:38 am

Normally, I don't read posts in the Women's Discussion forum (in fact, I only saw this because it appeared in the upper-right part of the WP home page).

But since this has become a hot topic in Texas, it got my attention.

Unless there is proof that said vaccine actually prevents the virus, I am against it. And it shocked me that our governor, Rick Perry (a very outspoken social conservative) would issue an executive order, bypassing state legislature, to mandate the vaccine.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sweetpraline
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2007, 11:45 am

I agree. I heard how they are trying to make the vaccine mandatory in the state of Texas.

This vaccine is just too new. There hasn't been enough research on the long term effects of this vaccine. I just don't trust when the government tries to force something on you. The decision on whether to get the vaccine or not should be left up to the girl and her parents.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:48 am

I am customer service for a health insurance company. I love my job because I have never had to say anything to a member I didn't firmly believe myself.

If this vaccine was for shingles, like Zostavax, no one would think twice about getting the vaccine. . or if it were for polio, the crippler and killer virus of my youth, there would be little controversy (although there WAS controversy when the polio vaccine came out, because religious groups didn't believe in hypodermic injections like the Salk vaccine, that is why the Sabin vaccine was on a sugar cube, did ya' know?)

one never knows if they are going to be infected. Even the most pious female can be molested, gawd forbid, and even in the sanctity of marriage, the other partner could transmit the virus from other partners, known or unknown.

I don't appreciate the aggressive marketing from the drug companies, and the idea it has to be governmentaly ordained as a cure all is unfortunate.

But the vaccine it's self is a wonderful thing.

Merle

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:20 pm

hpv is a STD that can be transmitted even with condom use... as it is a skin-to0skin deal. it can cause cancer.... so why not take it

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:27 pm

I'm completely against it, what should be happening is people teaching their kids about 'safe sex' especially about using condoms.
If young girls grow believing they don't have to practice safe sex because they had the vaccine they may not end up with hpv but they could end up with h.i.v which is far worse. I think too many doctors are making hpv sound like the next killer virus and in reality most women with hpv have no problems. Why do some parents find it so hard to discuss sex with their kids, informing them could save thir lives one day. :star:

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:49 pm

well... i certainly dont believe in lying about sex ed to kids....

i have hpv cause my partner cheated on me. i never showed symptoms other than a single abnormal papsmear 7 yrs ago... but i could theoretically have an outbreak at anytime.

the scariest thing about hpv is that it's estimated 75% of the pop has it... but very few show symptoms... especially men cause they can't get papsmears to ID it......

and it's not like condoms don't help.......... they just dont prevent 100%

having the vaccine can only do good... though i am not sure why it's only offered for girls.... maybe a cell0type target thing?

kids are smarter than you think.... think being honest and frank is the best way to go....

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 9:58 pm

Like Sedaka says, condoms don't protect you from HPV necessarily. And it isn't always from cheating either. Some people even question if it's exclusively sexually transmitted.

I don't see how preventing one virus is giving people carte blance to have unprotected sex. That's illogical.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 6:20 am

I like the idea of being protected even if i don't feel it's necessary. If there were a vaccine for H.I.V. or Hepatitis C I'd take it even though I am in a stable, long term relationship. Why? You never know when something might happen that you have no control of. If a woman gets raped and the perpetrator has HPV then she might have wished she had gotten the vaccine.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 4:28 pm

I think many vaccines are a good idea, but I don't think they should be required by law. I think that's going too far.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 7:27 pm

I don't know. It would probably be a good idea.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jun 2007, 7:34 pm

it's a good idea to get the vaccine.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 8:40 pm

I would have gotten the vaccine if it had been available when I was a teen. And I really wish it had been. Though I show no symptoms (and likely never will) I contracted HPV from rape. It's kinda scary to have a symptomless virus that cold give you cervical cancer. Especially if going to the gyno is one of your worst fears in the world.

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2010, 12:56 am

I have had the first 2 jabs, I'll be having my 3rd one in November, I'm glad it's been offered to me. A couple of years ago it was 11-18 years I think, but now it's gone to 11-20 which is lucky for me as I'm 19

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

I think it's good idea to reduce the cancer among women. But boys should be vaccined too to not spread HPV to their partners. Some lands in Poland have this vaccination mandatory.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 4:31 am

Definitely, if you're sexually active. A very pretty, college-aged girl rotated through my work area was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. It can happen to anyone at anytime.