How do you feel after eating brocoli? (Proven ASD treatment)

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

NathanChristopher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

Hutchie0109, it isn't proven at all pal. The title of this thread was an error of judgement I made from reading articles late at night. This has been established. However, there's been one small study that shows promising results. It's from the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, the University of Massachusetts and John Hopkins University School of Medicine.
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/43/15550.full.pdf

Naturalplastic, yep, It absolutely isn't going to make you NT. There's a possibility it could have a positive effect on symptoms if the results found in the small study work on a larger scale. Smoking it in a pipe sounds freaking sweet though.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2017, 10:59 am

Do you or does anyone have a link to this about broccoli, or any other foods for that matter? I've had a love hate relationship with broccoli myself, but I love it in curries.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

I found a bottle of UK made broccoli sprout extract on Amazon. It might be worth a try. The Holland & Barrett Greens supplement also contains broccoli.

I practically don't eat any broccoli, and close to no non-meat products for that matter either, save for chocolate and crisps.

I plan on revamping my diet this coming month. It can be my new year's resolution come early.

I was pescetarian at one point, but even then I was eating fish for more or less every meal.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:12 pm

Personally, I like asparagus better to help with the Asperger's.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Whether it helps with ASD symptoms or not, I doubt eating broccoli has even caused anyone any harm.

It's a good source of fiber, and covers a wide range of different vitamins, so all in all it's a great addition to any diet. :)

I'm not sure what broccoli has to with ASD, but I have eaten it in large enough quantities that it lowered my iodine levels and made me hypothyroid. If you cook it until it wilts, then you don't need to worry about that.

frozenintime
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2017, 12:13 pm

Broccoli has something called suloraphane in it, which supposely help with Asd and scitzophenia(as well as a bunch of good things, llike preventing certain types of cancers). Google Suloraphane

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 12:15 pm

The other day, I bought an 800 ml of fresh squeezed green juice with broccoli as the main ingredient. It was tasty, and probably the most efficient way to consume that much broccoli, especially because it's raw then it probably has even more of the nutrients intact. Now I need a juicer.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2017, 12:25 pm

Shakti wrote:
The other day, I bought an 800 ml of fresh squeezed green juice with broccoli as the main ingredient. It was tasty, and probably the most efficient way to consume that much broccoli, especially because it's raw then it probably has even more of the nutrients intact. Now I need a juicer.

Actually if I remember correctly, broccoli is one of those vegetables which are healthier after being cooked(slightly), because it releases certain minerals at a certain heat. It's better to steam or stir fry though, boiling will likely do more harm than good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

This is the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Yet another load of male-bovine-dropping filled pseudoscience, even if it's not as bad as drinking bleach.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

Phrygian wrote:
Shakti wrote:

Actually if I remember correctly, broccoli is one of those vegetables which are healthier after being cooked(slightly), because it releases certain minerals at a certain heat. It's better to steam or stir fry though, boiling will likely do more harm than good.

Probably variety is good, I'm also making broccoli a regular player in Thai curries, which I make a lot of. Soup might be good too, though I need to Google recipes, it's not something I'm crazy about unless it has flavor. Juicing seems sensible though, it's almost as good as putting it in a pipe and smoking it!

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2017, 12:35 pm

I had broccoli recently for the first time in years. I did feel different, but I'm not sure if it was in a good way. I think it gave me a slight headache actually.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2017, 2:44 pm

Possibly the oddest thread I've posted on. I eat lots of broccoli. It makes no difference at all to how I feel. I can see no mechanism by which it, or any other food, would make a difference.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2017, 2:15 pm

nephets wrote:
Possibly the oddest thread I've posted on. I eat lots of broccoli. It makes no difference at all to how I feel. I can see no mechanism by which it, or any other food, would make a difference.

It's sulphoraphane that's the treatment, and broccoli just happens to contain it. I'd imagine one would either have to take a sulphoraphane supplement, or eat an indescribably large quantity of broccoli, for it to make a difference.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:01 am

When I used to live with my parents, my mum would serve up broccoli for dinner nearly every day. Maybe it was too much fibre. But my bowels didn't like it at all. I was going to uni at the time and my stomach used to growl audibly in class, letting me know what was in store for me. As soon as I'd get home I'd rush to the toilet.

Now I'm in charge of my dinners, I rarely have the problem.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 3:22 pm

Possible ASD benefits came from Broccoli extract only; that is the extract under consideration is extracted from an amount of Broccoli greater than what a person would consume in a lifetime!

Broccoli in moderation is well-known to be beneficial to healthty diets.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 5:35 pm

I haven't really noticed a difference, but I haven't been looking for it, either. I just had some in my eggs + cheese last night. I've been buying big bags of it frozen, lately, and steaming it in the microwave. I'm not a big fan of it raw.

But like others said, the study probably used extract supplements.